Tobacco Companies

John52

jumpstart - 2019-10-01 8:12 AM

Because they diversified.

No it isn't, thats the point.

Thats what they say, but like the Brexit campaign its all Bullsh*t which you have soaked up.

Their Accounts show nearly all their profits are still coming from old fashioned tobacco.

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't Fags about a tenner a packet now? a pack day would be a mortgage!

I went to vapes a couple of years ago or so, never looked back. I was surprised in mainland Europe last time I was there which is 2017 how few vapers there were though compared to here.

I did wonder if the tobacco companies would go bust but clearly not. i assumed the massive hike in prices was down to tax but also maybe not.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-10-13 2:12 PM

I went to vapes a couple of years ago or so, never looked back. I was surprised in mainland Europe last time I was there which is 2017 how few vapers there were though compared to here.

I did wonder if the tobacco companies would go bust but clearly not. i assumed the massive hike in prices was down to tax but also maybe not.

I got put off even attempting smoking at Sunday lunch as a kid :-| ........

Mum's false teeth would be on one side of her dinner plate and a fag would be resting on the other side 8-) ......

I can only imagine its addicted folk like Bullet who keep them going :D .........

That's prolly why he posts so late ;-) ..........

My mum to, took ages to flash up Port & Starboard lungs *-) ............

Barryd999 - 2019-10-13 2:12 PM

In UK tobacco is very heavily taxed which accounts for the bulk of the counter price. Every budget has seen price hikes, the highest in one whack being 50p on a pack so it's easy to see the direction of UK gov who have gone to extraordinary measures to make the most punitive taxation of tobacco. As an example, Marlboro 100's superkings, UK price is £11.45 a pack of 20. In Serbia the identical brand sells at £2, Poland a bit more.

Belgium used to be a favoured choice of UK smokers to do a "baccy run" and De Panne just over the border was always known as Tobacco Road by Brit smokers due to the number of tobacco shops. Prices were a bit cheaper than UK but it wasn't going to last as our government wagged the finger at the Belgium gov to increase their prices. That ended the "baccy runs".

By comparison, drinkers in UK have escaped relatively scot free much to my surprise. When the smoke ban was introduced i though for sure drinker would be hit next.....but they haven't. One budget slapped 2% tax on tobacco.....only to reduce alcohol by the same amount. Effectively smokers had paid to keep drink prices down. Where is the logic in that?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-10-13 3:38 PM

By comparison, drinkers in UK have escaped relatively scot free much to my surprise. When the smoke ban was introduced i though for sure drinker would be hit next.....but they haven't. One budget slapped 2% tax on tobacco.....only to reduce alcohol by the same amount. Effectively smokers had paid to keep drink prices down. Where is the logic in that?

How many people do you know who's died from passive drinking? :-| .........

pelmetman - 2019-10-13 3:58 PM

A lot of my songs are drink fuelled and some say they have finished a few off.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-10-13 4:12 PM

But to be fair they did "Choose" listen before they topped themselves :-| .......

A luxury not afforded to folk like me with regards to passive smoking ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2019-10-13 4:21 PM

Barryd999 - 2019-10-13 4:12 PM

But to be fair they did "Choose" listen before they topped themselves :-| .......

A luxury not afforded to folk like me with regards to passive smoking ;-) .........

No, it became compulsory on Motorhome Fruitcakes some time ago.

I bet drink has caused more injuries and deaths to people other than the drinker than passive smoking has. Possibly.

Barryd999 - 2019-10-13 5:16 PM

I bet drink has caused more injuries and deaths to people other than the drinker than passive smoking has. Possibly.

No 'possibly' about it Barry. Ask any town/city police officers and paramedics who have to sort the piss heads out every weekend. Then there's the domestic violence caused by drink. A woman i used to work with regularly turned up with bruises and marks on her face. We all knew where and who it was coming from.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2019-10-13 6:29 PM

No 'possibly' about it Barry. Ask any town/city police officers and paramedics who have to sort the piss heads out every weekend. Then there's the domestic violence caused by drink. A woman i used to work with regularly turned up with bruises and marks on her face. We all knew where and who it was coming from.

Seems to me the drug addicts have took over from the p*ss heads years ago *-) ........

Maybe they were self inflicted bruises and marks ... I'd certainly smash myself up a bit and pull a sickie rather than spend the day with yaself princess

pelmetman - 2019-10-13 6:33 PM

Seems to me the drug addicts have took over from the p*ss heads years ago *-) ........

I bet they haven't without looking.

/QUOTE]In UK tobacco is very heavily taxed which accounts for the bulk of the counter price. Every budget has seen price hikes, the highest in one whack being 50p on a pack so it's easy to see the direction of UK gov who have gone to extraordinary measures to make the most punitive taxation of tobacco. As an example, Marlboro 100's superkings, UK price is £11.45 a pack of 20. In Serbia the identical brand sells at £2, Poland a bit more.

Currently a 20 pack of Marlboro in AU is A$33 at the current rate of exchange around £17.77. The higher price has caused a significant reduction in the national smoking rate. Those here in the know say it is easy to obtain smuggled cigs from Vietnam at half the price quoted. Vaping is illegal here and from what I can understand is just as dangerous to you health. I was staggered by the number of people vaping in Uk when I was last there in June. I can only assume it is the "lesser of two evils " syndrome. I gave up smoking 40 years ago. I was a pack a day smoker. 7x $33 x 52 x 40 = $480,480 or 3 brand new AT Trackers at the retail price of an Auto-trail Tracker FB here. Now I think armed with those numbers I can mount a good case  to convince my Finance Director (Mrs Geeco) that we should consider one of those new nice AT's with the fully automatic Ducato up front. Cheers,

From the evidence so far it looks like vaping is safer than cigs, cigs isn't just the major contributor to cancers but it effects the blood system just as much if not more.

The physical effects of cigs on the blood system can cause pre-aging as in grey wrinkly skin to the more visible things like loss of limbs.

Drinking too much can case problems to those around you and hangovers, however drinking in pubs was a major way of bringing the community together and while they talked many a crime was solved and information was passed to the village bobby.

Vaping maybe classed as a safer bet at the moment, but its early days, I remember watching the cig adverts as a kid and if you wanted to be cowboy or a racing driver or wanted to pull the prettiest lady you had to smoke. There was no mention of infertility, erectile dysfunction or the loss of a leg....or two.

Stopping smoking was one of the hardest things I did but I refused to pay 67p a packet every day,

Geeco - 2019-10-14 4:54 AM/QUOTE]In UK tobacco is very heavily taxed which accounts for the bulk of the counter price. Every budget has seen price hikes, the highest in one whack being 50p on a pack so it's easy to see the direction of UK gov who have gone to extraordinary measures to make the most punitive taxation of tobacco. As an example, Marlboro 100's superkings, UK price is £11.45 a pack of 20. In Serbia the identical brand sells at £2, Poland a bit more.
Currently a 20 pack of Marlboro in AU is A$33 at the current rate of exchange around £17.77. The higher price has caused a significant reduction in the national smoking rate. Those here in the know say it is easy to obtain smuggled cigs from Vietnam at half the price quoted. Vaping is illegal here and from what I can understand is just as dangerous to you health. I was staggered by the number of people vaping in Uk when I was last there in June. I can only assume it is the "lesser of two evils " syndrome. I gave up smoking 40 years ago. I was a pack a day smoker. 7x $33 x 52 x 40 = $480,480 or 3 brand new AT Trackers at the retail price of an Auto-trail Tracker FB here. Now I think armed with those numbers I can mount a good case  to convince my Finance Director (Mrs Geeco) that we should consider one of those new nice AT's with the fully automatic Ducato up front. Cheers,

That is interesting. According to my GP they consider you as having quit smoking if your vaping here and he reckons the risks are a 1000 times less than smoking a full fat cig. They are quite well regulated in the UK and Europe though under EU law. Not so much in other parts of the world. People have died recently in the US from smoking dodgy vapes I gather.

Archived