Tomtom owners....

Sparkle

We've just got back from a 4 day tour and had a great time, my scribbling on maps works as we found a wild camp site I had previously marked and stayed there the last night away.

This has however opened up our idea to a gps.... and I've looked into the options and reckon a Tomtom is the way to go - living out here in Spain we need something which has the europe maps on it but I have other quetsions for other owners....

These may seem stupid but please forgive with as few sarky comments as possible ( I know what you lot can be like so please be gentle...)

How much do you pay for maps when you download them if they are not included in the original package?

Is there an ongoing monthly fee at all..... or is that all included on your price of the Tomtom when you buy it?

Is it possible to work with something like Google map or a tomtom equivilant to transfer POIs I already have?

I'm sure I will have more questions but that'll keep you busy for starters....

Hi Sparkle,

Living in Spain would mean that you'd either need to buy the Europe version of a TomTom which would include the whole of European or a 'local' one which would only include Spain (and possibly only the main roads of Europe).

The main difference between each TomTom 'series' is just the type of map shipped with it.

When you attach your TomTom to your PC in will install a copy of TomTom HOME which allows you to download additional 'extras' to your device.  You can also elect to subscribe to MapShare which is FREE.

Essentially, any map you buy is gonna be out of date to a certain degree as roads are constantly being changed and altered (not sure about Spain).  Therefore, when someone finds a turning missing or the exit in the wrong place they contact TomTom and you download the corrections the next time you attach your device to the PC.  This is how MapShare works.

There are no ongoing monthly fees unless you subscribe to their traffic service but personally, I wouldn't bother.

POIs for TomTom are in a .OV2 format and I've posted several 'how tos' as to using and planning trips etc.

If you want them reposted let me know.

Hope this helps

W2G

Hi Sparkle, we bought the "TomTom 1 Europe" last year and toured France and Spain with it. It worked brilliantly and is capable of a "walk round" facility, so that if you go sight seeing you can use it then. We used it in Barcalona and it was fine.

The only blip it had was in Northern France when it decided it would like to see some of the countryside instead of heading directly for Fecamp. We went down some country lanes that were so out of the way the Germans were still fighting down some of them! But apart from that it was fine.

I realise you are in Spain but if you did find yourself in the UK Halfords will hardwire the cable into your van for £20.00, so that the unit is still portable but not clogging up the cig lighter socket when it is being used in the van. If you can't get to the UK then I'm sure a chap of Bruces' calibre can do the same job in no time!

If you did need extra maps, say for Eastern Europe then you just download them of the "TomTom internet site and pay whatever fee they require by credit card.

Steve

Thanks to you both!

W2G - I have noted your comments about editing POIs etc..... one question.... is a POI edit program included in the TOMTOM home thing or would something like POIEdit be used instead? or isn't it needed at all?

I think I have narrowed it down to a Tomtom Go 720 - it seems to have everything we need to start with, and capability for more in the future. As said I don't think the traffic option is needed.... we're not usually in a rush anyway! (only 80km an hour can't be rushing anywhere!!!).

Sparkle - 2008-05-04 6:00 PM .... is a POI edit program included in the TOMTOM home thing or would something like POIEdit be used instead?

There isn't a POI edit program included with your TomTom.  If you have POIs in a different format which you would like to convert into a TomTom format there is software available to convert it such as POIEdit or R.J.Davies' POI Format Converter.

If you have any specific question I'd be happy to help ;-)

W2G

Randonneur - 2008-05-04 6:56 PM . . . . . it also allows you to put your own images on.

That's quite correct.

The widescreen versions have two files which are displayed when you turn your device on and off.  They are called Spashw.bmp and Suspendw.bmp and are 480 x 272 pixels in size.

If you want to create your own splash screens you can use any drawing-type program to create them.  The files need to be saved to the root of your device and I would be inclined to rename the original files so you can reactive them again if needbe.

W2G

A timely thread which has removed my concern about subscriptions, thanks.

I install "wifenav" every time I go out in the van (the system is portable between vehicles, being equipped with legs, feet etc. However she has indicated a desire to retire so I have been thinking which sat nav to get. There is a bewildering array available.

I am leaning towards the Tom Tom Go720 simply because Tom Tom seems to be the system most mentioned on the forum. I will do a search of course as I expect that any problems would also have appeared in print here by now!

Bob

Thanks for all the tips... I have ordered a TOMTOM 720 and it should arrive Monday or Tuesday.... in the end we chose it because of the maps it has, (not needing to to one further and get the 730 which has eastenr europe), and the spanish ones don't always include Europe, just Spain and portugal, which as the maps aren't cheap was a consideration.

So I am looking forward to unpacking it.....yet another new toy to play with!

Archived