Tracker's useful tips

J9withdogs

As we all know, Richard is full of useful information regarding all things relating to Motorhomes - let's collate them all onto here:

I'll start off with his famous cutting off plastic bottles to place glass bottles in to stop them 'chinking' together in the cupboard.

Let's have your best tips, whether your own or nicked from Rich (lol)

1. Cardboard box with partitions, designed for carrying wine bottles safely, used for (guess what?) carrying wine bottles safely. Used to keep one under Hannibal's bench seat, where it just fitted nicely. Mine was ex-Communion wine, but I'm sure your local off-licence will regularly throw out similar boxers.

Not sure where the wine cellar in the new wagon will be, but since it takes a high priority we'll find somewhere!

2. Get a cheap Gazebo. Unlike a wind-out awning (which you always discover too late is on the wrong side, and gives no shade), a free-standing gazebo will always cast a decent shadow somewhere on your pitch - just move the table & chairs into it.

Tony

Guest Tracker
Tony Jones - 2007-11-12 10:02 AM

2. Get a cheap Gazebo. Unlike a wind-out awning (which you always discover too late is on the wrong side, and gives no shade), a free-standing gazebo will always cast a decent shadow somewhere on your pitch - just move the table & chairs into it.

Tony

All good campers try and use each item for more than one purpose so if you get a long ball of string and tie it to your gazebo you can use it as a very nice kite.

Tracker - 2007-11-12 2:10 PM

All good campers try and use each item for more than one purpose so if you get a long ball of string and tie it to your gazebo you can use it as a very nice kite.

When we first bought the van we already had a gazebo - one of the easy erect ones with a concertina frame. Second time we used it we came back from a day off site to find that the wind had nearly turned it into a kite and had snapped part of the frame :-D

Graham

Put the non slip stuff you can buy on a roll between plates Etc to stop them clattering about in the cupboard. Put all sauces and the like in plastic boxes so you can just pull the whole lot out to find something instead of rummaging around in the cupboard. Also stops them clattering about.

Guest Le Thou

The best tip I was given was not to get off a moving bus, does that count?

And if "Tony I,m bored cos I don't have a motorhome currently" continues to make seedy little inuendo's towards the ladies of the forum I will have to send the girls around to his potting shed to re-arrange his dibber

Le Thou - 2007-11-12 10:02 PM

And if "Tony I,m bored cos I don't have a motorhome currently" continues to make seedy little inuendo's towards the ladies of the forum I will have to send the girls around to his potting shed to re-arrange his dibber

Hee hee - Tony's harmless enough (lol)

I have viynl at my door where you enter, with a dog this is not good (she jumps in and slides accross the floor stoping when she hits the washroom wall, so i have used that rubber stuff they advertise for on the car dash (to stop things sliding)under the piece of carpet i have put down. She can now enter without the slalom

J9withdogs - 2007-11-12 10:21 PM

Le Thou - 2007-11-12 10:02 PM

Hee hee - Tony's harmless enough (lol)

You sure know how to wound a guy's ego Janine! :'(

One of the best tips I've been given about this MHing lark thus far (and it was thanks to others hereabouts, so well done to those inmates with much more experience for sharing!) is to use 12 volt LED lightbulbs inside the vehicle wherever possible, instead of the incandescent filament /halogen etc ones.

In retail shops they are not as cheap yet in the EU as they will be soon(most come from Asia, and the EU has slapped a big import duty on them to protect EU bulb manufacturers until about 2009, to allow them to catch up).

You can however get them on ebay from China etc at really cheap prices, particularly if you buy quite a few at a time.

I've been hugely impressed with them: the 2nd generation ones give out a much warmer light than the harsh white light of the original ones, they use virtually buggerall electricity, give off no heat, are extremely shock-proof and (apparently) work for tens of thousands of hours.

Because we almost always wild-camp, without mains hook-up, this seems a very good way to extend the usage of our leisure battery.

I'm now going to fit them as side, brake and tail light bulbs too, to reduce the risk of bulb failure and a consequent pull from Plod/ getting driven into from behind.

J9withdogs - 2007-11-12 9:52 AM

As we all know, Richard is full of useful information regarding all things relating to Motorhomes - let's collate them all onto here:

I'll start off with his famous cutting off plastic bottles to place glass bottles in to stop them 'chinking' together in the cupboard.

Let's have your best tips, whether your own or nicked from Rich (lol)

We cut round holes in thick polystyrene sheets for that.Alright until it started breaking up.I've also got one of those what do you do with, questions.We find that a three litre wine box is cheaper and takes up less storage space.The question is what can you do with the very strong plastic bag and tap that comes out of the box when you have finished.

Mick H.

Archived