Travellers

bob b

I rode down to Climping (south coast) today on the bike for a dip in the briny. There's a field right by the beach which is extremely popular with motorhomer's. It's big enough to wind out the awning and spread out. A cafe and modern toilet block is available if required, all for £6.00.

During the week 12 traveller caravans arrived, cut off the height barrier padlock...despite the cafe owner trying to stop them...and entered the field. The police were called and 16 officer's turned up......they decided that they weren't interested and went away.

Over two days & nights the travellers trashed the toilet block, tried to break into the cafe.....couldn't and super glued all the locks and left the usual load of rubbish.They only left because the land owner gave them £500.00 to leave. Safe to say they'll return then !

The height barrier was welded up today and all caravans and motorhomes are now banned.

One of the sad sights in Dorset and Hampshire is the concrete blocks, large tree trunks , old farm equipment that is placed in field and lane entrances to stop these people from getting in and trashing the places. A bit of an eyesore but not half as bad as the eyesore left by them when they do finally move on, so we accept the home made “Tank Traps” as required monuments to rural living these days.

When the Steam Fair comes to Blandford a sizable Traveller community arrives as well. In previous years the Police have checked caravans and recovered many stolen ones. Well done to them. From Late August to mid September we all have to be on our guard.

Local shops ban Travellers as all they do is pinch stuff and local Farmers smallholders and equestrian centres have to take extra precautions as these people roam about and nick anything they can.

I have to say that here the Police are excellent but it did take the local people saying that they would take the law into their own hands for the senior numpties to get of their Politically Correct fence and actually do something to protect residents against this Traveller related crime.

Sadly it could be that it has simply moved East a bit.

bob b - The height barrier was welded up today and all caravans and motorhomes are now banned.

And we wonder why we can't get the ball hardly rolling towards having our own Aires network. What a shame for you Bob, (and others too), to have lost such a pleasant sounding location by the actions of the few. As ever.Martyn

I think that the local councils will use 'Travellers' as an excuse not to have 'Aires' but that as we know would be just a cop out. Let's face it, France suffer from the same problem but does that effect them still providing 'Aires Services' (!)

Big Momma - 2009-07-02 10:37 AM

I think that the local councils will use 'Travellers' as an excuse not to have 'Aires' but that as we know would be just a cop out. Let's face it, France suffer from the same problem but does that effect them still providing 'Aires Services' (!)

Maybe, but it's a pretty good excuse based on Bob's post.

Can you imagine our Police Force having the time to tour our Aires for travellers/non payers/etc? I can't. When did you last see a Police car tour a site in Britain? I've never seen one here as opposed to every other day when in France.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm all in favour of UK Aires but I can't see it happening I'm afraid.

Martyn

Their behaviour is disgusting, they rule by fear - well it's got to be if the Police won't stand up to them.

If they were decent it would be one thing, but theyre not are they? they trash the place, leave loads of mess (and I mean all kinds of mess) rob from the nearby community and are basically unpleasent and threatening. This is exactly what they are trying to achieve because no one wants to stand up to them and therefore they are free to do what they want to at our expense - they've won.

Best not get on my soap box............

I do feel that we will never get real help for motorhomers in this country and the excuse will be 'Travellers'

I remember hearing of a Haulage contractor who lived in a remote area. While he was at work some travellers moved in to a field next door to his house. On his return home, the garage and sheds had been broken into and equipment stolen.

He made a phone call and around 15 of his drivers turned up. They went to the travellers site and the owner shouted out that he wanted his equipment back in approximately 2 minutes. Nobody came out of course.

His drivers surrounded the nearest caravan and turned it over. He called out again and said if the equipment was not returned they'd wreck every caravan. Suddenly a traveller ran out and said that 'somebody' had dumped some equipment behind one of the caravans.

The Haulage contractor collected his equipment and had no more problems. The only thing these people understand and respect is violence.

Incidentally, re my original post. The travellers trashed the toilet block and then defecated in the field !!

Similar happened on the A338 just south of Salisbury Bob. About 5 or 6 years ago Travellers moved into an area adjacent to the main road that was in fact a curve of the old road when the road was straightened. What followed was thefts and terrible abuse of local people.

So the Local Farmers got together and had huge concrete blocks made and took them to the sight and informed them that these blocks would be placed accross the entrances in an hour so unless they wanted to be trapped inside they should go now.

They went.

bob b - 2009-07-02 1:32 PM

Incidentally, re my original post. The travellers trashed the toilet block and then defecated in the field !!

Why wouldn't that surprise any of us?

I know this is very un-pc - but if they act like wild animals shouldn't they be culled? I know this comment will be contraversial and as I said un-pc, but if we've freedom of speach why can't we say what so many of us law abiding people think and feel? Anyway why shouldn't they pay the consequences of their actions if they act wild (wild being un-domesticated)

Please no-one take offence as this is only in my opinion standing on my soap box yet again

I wonder if the police (as mentioned in the initial post) were really uninterested or whether they found themselves powerless to act with the law in the mess that it is at present.

The Human Rights Act & various equality acts quite correctly give protection against abuse. Unfortunately, the way they are written allows some people who do not belong to protected groups to claim protection to which they are not entitled and there is little the police can do until those claims are proved to be false.

One of the problems is that we have a number of different equal rights acts which conflict with each other in some ways and sometimes give minorities rights over the majority which are unjust. As a result, it is difficult for the police and local authorities to put in place policies which can be effective in the first few hours after an "invasion".

There was a move to wrap up all the various equal rights acts into a single one a few years ago but it was stopped by a minority with vested interests. It is high time the government resurrected that move and legislated to do away with inequalities across the board.

Graham

Guest Tracker

Unlikely Graham - this government - and I suspect the other lot too - are far too politically correct to protect the human rights of the vast majority of normal decent people like us if it means the abusers and lunatics might just get their rightful come uppance.

Until that happens there is, in my humble view, little hope for Aires in the UK as once again the interests of an irresponsible minority take preference over the rights of the responsible majority.

Similarly with mentally unstable people - it seems it is their right to be let loose on an unsuspecting public and when they kill some poor innocent it is deemed 'unfortunate' - but we shouldn't lock them up as it infringes their human rights.

Perhaps the rest of us should be locked up to protect our human rights?

Rant over!

Well I'm certainly not going to hold my breath waiting for a change in HRA/Equalities legislation, whichever party is in power :-D

However, that need not preevnt the introduction of aires.

When David & I were talking to Redcar & Cleveland Council about Guisborough the question of travellers came up and was discussed in a positive way.

As I understand it the TRO is worded in such a manner that there are powers to deal with any illegal camp site on that car park quickly and relatively easily. The other point that was made was that the car park has been there for many years and no group of travellers has tried to take it over before, so why should they do so now.

Graham

It's very sad for the poor businessman trying to provide a service and make a living.

Not all travellers are bad. There are also other members of the community who commit similar crimes. Have you stayed in a lay-by frquented by lorry drivers? Bottles of urine, rubbish, and other undersirable waste are not unusual. Lorry drivers say there are not enough secure places with amenities for them to stay overnight. Should we treat lorry drivers, the vast majority of whom are great people doing a stressful job, the same as travellers because they commit similar crimes?

Where do we stop? Should I torch the next motorhome I see parked on a drive in contravention of the property covenants?

Nobody should take the law into their own hands. Travellers have rights and you can guess what will happen if you injure one, or worse.

You can get a court order quite quickly to evict trespassers. There are people who will enforce it for you under the watchful eye of the Police. I've done it.

We live in a democracy that recognises the rights of offenders and victims. The balance may not be right but we have to live with the concept of law and order that we vote for. Those that prefer to live in a different society where rights are not respected can always vote BNP or go and live in one or two of the Middle Eastern countries that make the news from time to time for the way they crack down.

As I said, I really feel for the businessman. I would be heartbroken and very angry if someone trashed my property.

Our politicans are out of touch with the true feelings of frustration increasingly felt by the nation. Let us hope we can influence a change to a better society when Gordon finally realises that he and most of the MPs in Parliament should go. I feel peaceful revolution is in the air.

To link lorry drivers that are travelling great distance and maybe are taken short with travellers is not only idiotic but insulting and a load of codswallop. 8-) Travellers dont just leave a bottle of pee!! they leave all sorts of rubbish and they dont just stop for a rest either! AND those lorry drivers are paying taxes and Community Charge which is more than these travellers are doing.

As I understand it why the police cant move them straight away is because it takes about 14 days for a court order to move them! by which time they are probably gone anyway. As someone has already said we are not the only country having trouble but I didn't notice them abroad as much in this country. Not far from us and a couple of other places I know have made special parks for these travellers with emmenties, but they aren't used to there full capacity because they have to pay a charge! and these people wont pay for anything when they can take it for free.

I was told by a Belgian couple that people in Holland dont want Aire,s and are hostile to motorhomes because of the problem there with travellers.

maggyd - 2009-07-07 4:47 PM

To link lorry drivers that are travelling great distance and maybe are taken short with travellers is not only idiotic but insulting and a load of codswallop. 8-) Travellers dont just leave a bottle of pee!! they leave all sorts of rubbish and they dont just stop for a rest either! AND those lorry drivers are paying taxes and Community Charge which is more than these travellers are doing.

Take a stroll through any lorry parking area on any of our motorway services and you will find no bottles of pee anywhere.

The stench of pee fills the air, night and day, because the lazy beggers cannot be bothered to use the facilities provided just a short distance away, they simply splash their boots beside their waggons.

Tax payers or not this is disgusting behaviour and no better than one would expect to find in animals

Syd - 2009-07-07 8:54 PM

Yes I agree Ive smelled it! and there is no excuse either there are plenty of garages etc with toilets! but the subject of travellers just being a law unto themselves is what the discussion was about! if we pulled in and parked just wherever we pleased with Motorhome of caravan we would be swiftly moved on , so why arent these travellers?? because the police are afraid of them thats why!

Take a stroll through any lorry parking area on any of our motorway services and you will find no bottles of pee anywhere.

The stench of pee fills the air, night and day, because the lazy beggers cannot be bothered to use the facilities provided just a short distance away, they simply splash their boots beside their waggons.

Tax payers or not this is disgusting behaviour and no better than one would expect to find in animals

:-S :-S

As I understand it why the police cant move them straight away is because it takes about 14 days for a court order to move them! by which time they are probably gone anyway. As someone has already said we are not the only country having trouble but I didn't notice them abroad as much in this country. Not far from us and a couple of other places I know have made special parks for these travellers with emmenties, but they aren't used to there full capacity because they have to pay a charge! and these people wont pay for anything when they can take it for free.

I was told by a Belgian couple that people in Holland dont want Aire,s and are hostile to motorhomes because of the problem there with travellers.

As a most of the lorry drivers are foriegn, they not only don't pay community charges they pay no taxes, VED or income tax. It would probably do their health some good if they bothered to walk to the toilets as well.

Regards the Police moving the travellers on, as I understand the situation (having been placed in this position) it is a little known fact that the police can move them immediately if they desired however the cost of it would then be bourne by their own budgets whereas they preffer to leave it to the landowner as it then has to be paid for by the individual and involves obtaining court orders, which the police do not need to obtain (hence why they can move them on immediately).

Bas

Interesting point Bas.

I always wondered why a Policeman could insist that a homeless person "moves on" and yet they do nothing when a Gypsy Camp springs up.

Am I correct in assuming that the Police are being selective with the powers they already have?

CliveH - 2009-07-07 10:54 PM

Interesting point Bas.

I always wondered why a Policeman could insist that a homeless person "moves on" and yet they do nothing when a Gypsy Camp springs up.

Am I correct in assuming that the Police are being selective with the powers they already have?

I would imagine that it is an easier option to move on someone who is not going to put up a struggle rather than try against someone who they know will. In my opinion it's called taking the soft option and by acting or not acting to move them on, is condoning their behaviour and promoting that they act in this behaviour and they will be left alone. The travellers have only become this powerfull because the police and councils haven't stood up to them and they have been allowed to get away with it for far too long.

If I was to park my motorhome in a layby for several days and live in it I would be moved on by the police. I have witnessed for several days a motorhome parked at night next to a truck in a layby and remain there alone during the day. By the 3rd night the police were there moving it on. It was doing no harm, no mess left, I guess the truck driver put his motorhome there to give him some facilities during the evening and night.

The police do have a difficult job to do in general, but there are times where I believe they loose public backing because of what effectively looks like to you and me as a blind eye when travellers move in and the resulting crime spree in the area - which apparently has nothing to do with the new arrivals!

When police know that something of yours is in a travellers camp, will they go in and get it for you? no they wont - the reason and in my opinion is they are too scared to upset them - pc /human rights and all that crap. Does it matter that we the general public are upset at having our property stolen or trashed? - apparently not, because we have to put up with it, and to rub salt into the wounds by the police, we are not allowed to call them gypsys, dids, scumbags etc because they are then deemed to being victimised by us and we can then be prosecuted. What happened to free speach in response to a crime against you?

I truely believe that once a person has committed a crime against another person or their property etc etc, they have waved aside their rights - the rights should remain with the victim not the criminal. Perhaps then and only then people may start to regain respect. All this rights etc has been blown out of proportion by clever lawyers who have used and abused these rights to get their clients off crimes etc. Playing with words has had a profound effect on everyday life and not for the best.

Having been on the tail end of what "travellers" can get up to I agree entirely with what you say.

It was only when local people round here, fed up with the PC numpty nonsense coming down from above, told the Police in no uncertain terms that if they did not do something others would, that things started moving.

The result was amazing - stolen caravans recovered from the Dorset Steam fair. several years running but prior to that we all KNEW it was going on but the police refused to do anything.

It is the same with Friday Prayers - certain areas around Mosques get clogged with parked cars and parking rules are ignored by the CLO’s Police and Traffic Wardens for fear of being accused of religious persecution. One rule for some etc.

CliveH

It is the same with Friday Prayers - certain areas around Mosques get clogged with parked cars and parking rules are ignored by the CLO’s Police and Traffic Wardens for fear of being accused of religious persecution. One rule for some etc.

Clive, a classic in our town...

There is nowhere in Blackburn, as far as I'm aware, except outside the court that has a no parking at any time restriction placed on it, you know the three yellow lines at right angles to the double yellows.

Until one particular area of the Asian Quarter, (yes, that's it's given name), deemed itself above the law and completely blocked both sides of one road every day. This went on or years, I'm not kidding. Double yellows? ha, waste of time. No tickets were being issued, too scared no doubt.

So some bright spark complained long and loud enough and guess what? We now have 2 areas where there is a no parking at any time notice. Result.

Martyn

The general consensus of this thread is that two particular factions are walking all over the laws that you and I abide by.

So is it not time for the BNP to be brought in to fight our corner? because no othe political party has the guts have they?

Guest Tracker
knight of the road - 2009-07-08 10:27 AM

So is it not time for the BNP to be brought in to fight our corner? because no othe political party has the guts have they?

If only we could be sure that it ended with true equality for all with no favourites, not even the Brits, and not turn into a 'persecute every one else' approach by the BNP?

Without immigrants this country would cease to function - but it needs to be fair to all and the Police should be able to act to uphold the law without fear or favour.

I believe it's called Fantasia - or Utopia - or summat similar!

Archived