Travelling in Germany

net-traveller

For all you who are thinking of going to, or through, Germany please check out the following website -

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=de_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.umwelt-plakette.de%2f

It's already in translate mode.

On 1 March 2007 a Clean Air law was passed which has repercussions for car, motorhome and commercial vehicles regardless of country of registration. It has been suggested that half of all german registered motorhomes will be affected and the natives are not happy bunnies.

I have e-mailed the tourist board for more info and will also e-mail other sources I can think of and will post any replies I get.

;-)

Thats in translate mode!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) I think who ever came up with what ever it supposed to mean should join Gordon over here and help to sting the British motorist some more. Is the no stopping this nonesense. :'(

Hi,

I'm not quiet sure what the classifications mean e.g euro 1 etc, but it appears these regulations came into force in Koln in Oct 06. I stayed in Koln in Nov 06 and passed through without any problems ?? so I'm not sure just what effect they will have, I think we could do with more information so hopefull the tourist board will send you some more detailed info thanks for raising the topic, but i won't be cancelling my trip just yet ??

Yes it is a bit of a bummer trying to work through the website but there is some interesting info and plenty of click here for other sites info.

Cologne - adopted the principle in 2006 but are not planning to bring in the scheme until 1 Jan 2008. They have produced a map of the zone which is available on the site.

Rest of europe including London - find on the europ.environmental zones link.

Translation is a bit iffy but 'tis always the case with foreign sites.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...

Much more information (more than I could post on here) is printed in an article in the June 2007 issue of Motorhome Monthly - which we had given at the Stratford Show.

Basically, the 'Umwelt' zones in and around city centres are designed to improve air quality by restricting or preventing vehicles with 'dirty' engines from entering. Vehicles wishing to enter one of the environmental zones will be required to display a windscreen sticker. These will be red, yellow or green. For a red sticker the vehicle must be compliant with Euro 2 (cars)/Euro II (commercials) emissions standards; for yellow with Euro 3 (cars)/ Euro III (commercials) and for green with Euro 4 (cars)/Euro IV (commercials). For those not familiar with these standards the new Fiat Ducato is Euro IV compliant so the predecessors will be in the Euro III or II range - or less if much older!

The stickers will cost between 5 and ten euros and the standard penalty for infringing the sticker regs is to be 40 euros PLUS five penalty points on the licence. Vehicles which conform to only Euro 1 standards or lower will not qualify for a sticker.

Entry to an environmental 'Umwelt' zone will be marked with a sign bearing a red circle with 'Umwelt' in its' centre then 'Zone' below; underneath a plate will have the word' frei' and the coloured circles appropriate to the emissions category(s) of the vehciles permitted to enter. The Umwelt sign in black and crossed through with a diagonal hatching will indicate the end of a zone.

In Germany, it has been estimated that some 220,000 motorhomes (half of all those registered) will be affected. They will not qualify for a sticker or only for a red or yellow one. These latter ones, depending on how local authorities interpret the regulations and allow exemptions, will presumably allow less than full 24/7 access to zones.

Obviously, the new regulations will have a significant impact upon German motorhomes but also for many other nations. At present, Motorhome Monthly believes about 30 cities and towns have announced an 'environmental zone' plan or are seriously considering one. Among them, for example, Berlin, Cologne and the whole Ruhrgabiet area, Frankfurt, Karlesruhe,, Munich and Dusseldorf - which is a worry as we are planning our very first visit there this August!

The motoring organisations in Germany like ADAC and Reismobile are, naturally, trying to marshall support for exemptions for vehicles like motorhomes and you can visit their websites for more info.

It looks like it will be an interesting visit this year!

Regards, David

As promised - the reply from the Tourist Office.

-----------------------------------------------------

Today @ 15:36

Thank you very much for your email.

We apologise for not having responded any sooner.

As this is indeed a new regulation which will be put into practice next

year (decision to change the law passed the legislative 01.03.2007.

We will get back to you again to establish the exact information on

which cars are affected (it is generally diesel and Otto Lorry engines

and those of vintage cars).

---------------------------------------------------

Seems they are in the dark as well.

;-)

Thanks for bringing this one up Guys.

I don't have anymore info that I can add to this but i've posted a request for info across on MHFacts. There are a few German nationals that visit that forum so hopefully they can supply a bit more info and If so, I can relay it here.

pete

• 3 months later...

Had a chat to ADAC at the Duesseldorf show - very illuminating.

The proposals for the environmental zone are currently still under discussion.

One of the major sticking points is the fact that a large number of german registered vehicles would not be eligible for any of the permits. At least 200,000 motorhomes are affected.

Another point is how to handle foreign traffic.

According to ADAC this could run on for some time but when info is available it will be posted on their website.

;-)

• 2 weeks later...
net-traveller - 2007-06-07 11:26 AM

As promised - the reply from the Tourist Office.

(snip) to establish the exact information on

which cars are affected (it is generally diesel and Otto Lorry engines

and those of vintage cars).

;-)

So how are petrol vehicles impacted? (mine is a 2003 VW gas (petrol) engine. It seems that "fine dust" in the OP refers to disel particulate pre-ULSD (?)

Archived