Tromso

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

Good evening all from Tromso where it has been persistently but gently precipitating all day!

Never mind eh, as it is the first wet day in a fortnight of dry and sunny here in Norway.

We crossed the Arctic Circle a few days ago and we were very upset not to find the white line marking it which I always thought was supposed to be painted along the sea and land right round the globe to mark it?

Up to today it has been short sleeved shirts and open sandals all the way and not yet used the van heating as it has been so warm.

It stays light all night but has been cloudy most evenings so we have yet to see the midnight sun.

A French lady reckons that it is 'tres froid' at the Nordkapp and we will see in a day or three's time if it has changed for the warmer - but we are not holding our breath!

Norway is a lovely country where the scenery is great, the weather good (in Summer anyway), he people mainly happy, and the distances are long.

Caught three very nice cod for lunch and supper at Fauske where the parking on the quay was free overnight - as it is somewhere in most towns - if you can find it - we look for groups of German and Dutch 'vans as they all seem to know where to go!

Every thing else is expensive!

More to follow when we find another internet access point.

I would like to say how much I miss you all - but I won't!

Toodle pip.

Rich & Dot.

Hi Rich (regard to Dot)

It's been soooooooooooooooooooooooo quiet without you!!!!! :D Quite a few have noticed how conspicuous you have been by your absence - I'm pleased your having a great time there in nice warm Norway nicking their cod. Hope you're taking lots of piccies ...

Mel

Nice to get a report of the Front Line Tracker sound good, fresh cod just caught (mouth watering). I recon you are getting better weather in Norway than you would have in Pembroke, we had to give it a miss because of the high winds and rain, you made a good call going to Norway, keep on enjoying it. Carol.

Guest Tracker

Thanks folks for those kind words.

Please tell Howie how much I miss his awful picture and atrocious grammar!

Meanwhile the gentle precipitation persists - but at least it will stay light enough to watch it all night - not that we would!

Glad we avoided Pembroke in our travels Carol - thanks for that!

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

Having problems with emails and can't seem to send or receive after receipt of the first batch and I can't seem to find an understandable answer or cure to the following email error messages 0x800CCC6F, 0x800CCC19 and 0x800CCC0D.

It all worked fine back at home and I have not altered anything. Other people are able to use their computers OK here so it does seem to be related to either my computer or Tiscali or outlook express.

Ah, that reminds me - I'll go try Thunderbird!

Nope that won't even connect - and so another brainwave bites the dust!

Thanks

I just tried googling the error messages & came up with the following from a PC forum:

Go to Control Panel, open "Mail". Select "Properties." Delete and re-enter your information. Don't overlook the password. Select "Connection" and check Incoming (POP3) and Outgoing (SMTP) listings are correct. Select "Advanced" and see that your Port Server for Incoming (POP3) and Outgoing (SMTP) are correct. Close. Go to your mail program and send a test email. If you have configured properly, test email will not go to the Outbox. If It does, go back to Control Panel, Mail, delete all your settings and re-enter them.

Or apparently it could be to do with your anti-virus programme. Try turning it off whilst you send the emails.

Hallo Richard, and let me be the first to express my admiration that someone of your age and limited physical ability should undertake a journey of such magnitude. Truly a example to us all.

Stationed in Norway for a short period many moons ago and know some usefull phrases that will be of help to you and Dot." Kan du hjelpe " (can you help) and for you in particular "Hvor er toaletti" ( where's the lav ).

We all miss you, well most of us miss you, well I miss you, sometimes, and lets have more news on how your getting on and as mentioned, plenty of pictures.

Ha Det old timer, and take care.

A clue Richard:

Tracker - 2008-06-24 10:22 PM

Other people are able to use their computers OK here so it does seem to be related to either my computer or Tiscali or outlook express.

Never met anyone yet who's had a good experience of Tiscali.

Now it's time for you all to come out of the woodwork and contradict me!!

Glad you're enjoying the far North though - why on earth would you want e-mail when you've gone to so much trouble to get away from everyone?

Tony

Wishfull thinking Brian ?.

Just a update from Richard who e.mailed me over the weekend. Both he and Dot are enjoying their break and Richard, popular as ever, has been accorded the name " Tvat " by all the locals he has met. Richard believes this to be the name of a ancient hero from Norse mythology, and not only does he feel highly honoured, but it also makes him feel very much at home.

More good news is that Norwegian Customs have decided to review their decision on the impounding of his ' rug ' under ' import/export of live animals regulations, and hopefully he will have it back and wearing it in the next few days.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope that Tracker had a view of the midnight sun from the North Cape, but I fear that he may not have. It will be interesting to hear from him on his return to Blighty.

When we were there on 16 & 17 June the weather was good with clouds and sunny intervals between 23:00 and 02:00 local time. The sun was visible at its lowest point, peeking out from behind photogenic cloud formations, but the next week was wet (about the time Tracker would have got there).

As a matter of interest, the handy free parking area before the North Cape plateau has totally gone and you now have little choice but to pay to go in (NOK200 per person for two days).

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tracker

There are in fact lots of places to park up on the Nordkapp Island whilst you await a break in the weather (medium range forecast available from Honningsvag TIC).

Water and loo are only an issue if you are too mean to stump up the 50 nok or so to do the necessary deeds at one of the two camp sites offering such services.

We did indeed see the midnight sun on two consecutive nights - sun shines on the righteous (so there) - and I have about 400 photos to download and process in due course, or drekkly as they say in Cornwall.

We also saw, quite by chance when finding a suitable overnight spot, a magnificently memorable midnight sun from a mountain top halfway down Finland on the way back South. We had glorious sunshine, hailstones, torrential rain, gales, still air and rainbows that evening and night. Such fun!

All in all a really fabulous trip and full report and diary to follow - I might even send it to MMM and try to get famous - in which we visited 10 countries, covered 7272 miles in 6 weeks without a mechanical hitch of any kind and without any transmission judders at all (2006, old model Ducato 2.3jtd), and spent the final seven nights in seven different countries on our chase back to Calais. Loved every minute and can't wait to get back.

We even spent two nights out of 44 on proper sites just to show that I am not entirely anti site.

Guest Tracker
Mel B - 2008-07-31 8:59 PM

Hi ya Rich! :->

Missed ya chuck! :D

Missed you too luvver girl - we were so sad to hear of your Dutch horror story - I can think of several more deserving people on here for that to happen to than your good selves - not that I would wish it on even some of 'them'!

Hi Richard and welcome home. Really was a epic trip and good to hear you and Dot enjoyed it so much. Looking forward to those pictures and detailed report on how you fared, especially those shots of the midnight sun.

Michele mentioned 'not long to go' , and wondering if you have some sort of special announcement for us to look forward to.

Guest Tracker

It really is so nice of you all to say such sweet things and if I didn't know you all better I would be tempted to think that you don't mean it.

I suppose on a need to know basis - you don't - but just between ourselves - as I am among friends - I think - Dot and I are getting married on 27th September - assuming she does not see sense first - or I am unable to talk her out of it before then.

According to an undisclosed source the operation to reverse the sex change again was a complete success and all the equipment is working almost as well as the first day that it's owner discovered how to use it successfully.

I confirm that I am not pregnant Mel - it's just the way I walk - but it ain't through lack of trying!

But thanks for asking.

Archived