Trump's Last Throw of the Dice?

StuartO

It's looking like the Senate Re-run Elections are going to deliver two Democrat seats and therefore Democrat control of Congress - and Vice President Pence has stated publicly that he is not going to upset the purely procedural count of Electorlal Colllege votes in the Senate, as Trump had demanded of him - and the public letter signed by the last ten Defence Secretaries, tell the US public that Trump must not try to use the Military to upset the election of Joe Briden, so it looks like Trump's goose is now well and truly cooked. He's still got the riotous assembly in Washington which he's being trying to encourage but surely he's now going to wind his neck in and accept that he's been beaten.

Woudn't it be nice to see him being led away in handcuffs by the FBI instead of flying of to Miami in Air Force One as his final fling.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think we will have seen the last of him, even when he does go.

With 73 million+ votes, I think the Republican party will have trouble getting rid of him and/or will have trouble if they do get rid of him, especially if he stood as an *independent?

(* that assuming that such a thing is possible/plausible in the 'States?)

StuartO - 2021-01-06 11:35 AM

Woudn't it be nice to see him being led away in handcuffs by the FBI instead of flying of to Miami in Air Force One as his final fling.

He should be....the man is a crook who was never fit to hold office and i'm disappointed Americans put up with the narcissist megalomaniac for so long. Bernstein and Woodward exposed Nixons criminality and brought him down with pen, jotter pad and typewriter....but they were young enthusiastic journalists that never gave up. America badly needed another Bernstein/Woodward.

pepe63 - 2021-01-06 12:17 PM

I don't think we will have seen the last of him, even when he does go. With 73 million+ votes, I think the Republican party will have trouble getting rid of him and/or will have trouble if they do get rid of him, especially if he stood as an *independent?

(* that assuming that such a thing is possible/plausible in the 'States?)

He'll continue blarting like the big babie he is as he craves attention but when he realises people are laughing at him, his fragile ego can't handle it and he has a meltdown, usually via Twitter.

Interesting that Pence is not playing ball. Some thought Trump would resign and get Pence to step in and Pardon Trump for the raft of cases that might be brought against him but some said that Pence may well distance himself from him and drop him in the sh1t. Lets hope its the latter and he goes to jail. I think thats really important otherwise they may well end up with another wannabe dictator who thinks they are untouchable down the line and he or she might not be as stupid as Trump.

As for the Republican Party they should distance themselves from him also, plus if he is in Jail thats the end of him full stop forever with any luck.

We just have to find a way to do the same with Johnson next.

Maybe it's time to call out the military, clear these loonies off the streets, and physically eject Trump from the WH as he's whipping up his fanatics and refusing to concede.

https://tinyurl.com/y5l86u5p

Pence has said he will ignore Trump’s plea to throw Biden’s win out, saying it would be unconstitutional of him to do so.

So Trump has started blarting on Twitter. *-)

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346900434540240897

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1346845109736845318

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-06 8:21 PM

So tonight's viewing choice, Kirsty and Phil or Civil War 2?

It's already kicked off. Armed gangs of RW terrorists are storming the Capitol building in real time, shots fired and tear gas in use. Nancy Pelosi has called in the National Guard.

jumpstart - 2021-01-06 9:08 PM

The Independent: Iran issues Interpol arrest warrant for Trump over Soleimani killing as tension rise.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-iran-arrest-warrant-interpol-b1782723.html

Haha.. I'd like to see that followed through.

That yellow streak of a manchild will be hiding in one of his golf course bunkers now the sh1t has hit the fan.

If you stayed silent through the BLM/Antifa looting, robbing, raping and killing then you really cant be too high and mighty over the disgraceful scenes yesterday ??? ... I though can condemn 100% that sickening cr@p from yesterday ... Let the hatey hypocrisy begin, who's first ???

Birdbrain - 2021-01-07 6:34 AM

If you stayed silent through the BLM/Antifa looting, robbing, raping and killing then you really cant be too high and mighty over the disgraceful scenes yesterday ??? ... I though can condemn 100% that sickening cr@p from yesterday ... Let the hatey hypocrisy begin, who's first ???

You've got to be kidding..you were Trump supporter number 1

I was given a copy of Barak Obama's Memoirs for Christmas and it's ascinating reading. I became a fan of Michael Conoly's novels about US crime and justice a few years ago and what surprised (and shocked) me was how brutal and unjust their system was - and Obama's story gives the same impression about their political system too. Politicians are all (in our own perspective) self-serving and bent and in order to get new policies through deals have to be done all the time with opposing legislators (by giving them what they want out of it) to make any progress. I have little doubt that our political system is riven by dodgy, self-serving deal-making too but hopefully it's not as bad as in the US yet.

And yesterday's performance in the US Senate, when hard core Trump supporting Senators and Congressmen/women were trying to block the counting of Elecoral College votes for the Prrsidential Election, despite lack of evidence of any significant election fraud and all the legal challenges (over 60 of them) having been thrown out, simply confirms my impression that American Democracy is flawed and vulnerable. The sitting President of the USA (the sitting President!) got a mob together and wound them up to storm the Capital to try to get his selfish way.

Winston Churchill famously said that the biggest argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter and unfortunately the fact that 74 million Americans voted for Donald Trump illustrates the same weakness and vulnerability. People can be gullible and a charismatic sociopath ho has the gift of the gab and a ruthless intent can gather support and succeed in getting democratic control - which he then tries to hang on to at re-election time by fair means or foul. As of course Hitler did in Germany.

Fortunately Vice President Pence has stood up for democracy and refused to try to hijack and override the counting process in the Senate, as Trump was clearly pressing him to do so, whether or not the move would have been legal. Apparently Pence also took some initiative to get the National Guard to turn out to help deal with the invasion of the Capitol because Trump was refusing. Lots of other hithehrto Trump-loyalist Republicans have balked at this move too and stood up for democracy too. In the end only six Republican Senators eventually were still objecting, to try to stave off Biden becoming President.

Only two weeks to go so what else does Trump have up his sleeve? Is it safe to leave him in post - not least because he is still Commander in Chief and he still has his finger on the nuclear button? There is a mechanism to remove him from office at a stroke; the Vice President has to gather the Cabinet and they must then vote to dipose Trump on the grounds that he is unfit to continue - in his case because he is dangerously deranged. That would anger the Trump supporters but it would also take the Football out of Trump's hands and stop him from pulling any more tricks before January 20th.

Trumpbrain - 2021-01-07 6:34 AM

The man was, and is, a megalomaniac. Some could see it, some not. You were, and are, fervently among the latter. You worshiped him, with your over 160, largely pointless, sycophantic, "POTUS Trump" posts. Your false God. Own it! Says all, doesn't it?

Surely Trumps actions yesterday inciting a mob which resulted in the deaths (so far) of four people is a criminal offence isnt it? At the very least they need to remove him from office today before he does any more damage.

It does look indeed like American democracy only just managed to dodge a bullet with the downfall of Trump. I have no doubt now that had he had a second term he would have found a way to become the wests Putin, or probably much worse.

As for that video of Patel. She is clearly of the same ilk. The Americans managed to do away with Trump and Populism, lets hope its not too long before we can do the same.

Do you remember two years ago, when Jeremy Corbyn was absolutely MONSTERED in the UK media, for refusing to attend the Conservative’s white tie State Banquet at Buckingham Palace “to honour Donald Trump”?

2019’s State Visit - considered a great honour, and previously extended to only two other US presidents - was promised by Theresa May in 2016 and approved by the Queen. It went ahead after Trump banned all citizens from seven predominantly Muslim countries from entering the United States. (yes the British state honoured him even after he did that)

Corbyn argued it would be wrong to "roll out the red carpet" for the US president, who used "racist and misogynist rhetoric".

He said the US-UK relationship did not need "the pomp and ceremony" of June's state visit. Former Speaker of the House, John Bercow, and the SNP’s Angus Robertson joined Corbyn in boycotting the event - along with 80 other MPs, none of whom were from the Conservative party. Prince Harry and his wife, Meghan of Sussex also boycotted the event.

In a statement at the time, Jeremy Corbyn said: "Theresa May should not be rolling out the red carpet for a state visit to honour a president who rips up vital international treaties, backs climate change denial and uses racist and misogynist rhetoric. Maintaining an important relationship with the United States does not require the pomp and ceremony of a state visit. It is disappointing that the prime minister has again opted to kowtow to this US administration.”

Sky News host, Adam Boulton, claimed the actions of the Labour Party were “disrespectful” to Trump and “to the Queen”, and framed it as though Corbyn hated the United States (rather than disapproved of Donald Trump).

LBC host Iain Dale inferred that Corbyn was a hypocrite for his refusal to attend the banquet, and said “This tells us a lot” about him.

The Daily Mail brought up every political meeting Corbyn had ever had in his career - peace talks with Gerry Adams and Hamas etc - and also accused him of hypocrisy. Corbyn explained that he was happy to have a political meeting with Trump, but felt extending him the honour of a state visit sent out the wrong message to all the people Trump has discriminated against.

Corbyn faced a huge backlash from Tory MPs who said not attending the ceremony to honour Donald Trump “pathetic gesture” made him “unfit to be Prime Minister”. Even Keir Starmer’s shadow foreign secretary, Lisa Nandy, attacked Corbyn for not attending the state dinner, saying in December 2019 that she would have attended, ha she been Labour leader. ?? You couldn’t write it!

Instead Corbyn attended the enormous protest held to oppose the honoring of Donald Trump by British elites, and stood in solidarity with London Mayor, Sadiq Khan, who had repeatedly been attacked on social media by Trump over his Muslim heritage. The Queen did not invite Sadiq Khan to the state banquet.

Now it’s clear to everyone that Trump is a fascist, looks like Jeremy was right yet AGAIN! Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have such a principled and thoughtful prime minister? I guess with the British electorate, we will never know.

The Daily Politik on FB

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-07 11:15 AM Do you remember two years ago, when Jeremy Corbyn was absolutely MONSTERED in the UK media, for refusing to attend the Conservative’s white tie State Banquet at Buckingham Palace “to honour Donald Trump”? ........

I'm afraid that modern politics, and even the role of Consitutional Monarch, requires quite a bit of supping with the devil and using the longest available spoon, but Corbyn had the luxury of being in opposition rather than in office and could therefore sidestep and critcise Trump openly. He had little prospect of ever being in office of course so maybe his only obligation was to think how it would look to his contituency. And it wasn't quite as obvious then just how bad and dangerous Trump would eventually appear to be, even if no one in their right minds would have welcomed him into their home as a guest if they'd had the choice,our Queen had no choice at the time; it was a necessary part of her job.

Even now, when we can all see just how bad and dangerous Trump has probably been all along, our in-office politicians have to take care with what they actually say. Our politicians will perhaps be more open and outspoken once the bastard is out of office. Only a fortnight to go!

StuartO - 2021-01-07 11:46 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-01-07 11:15 AM Do you remember two years ago, when Jeremy Corbyn was absolutely MONSTERED in the UK media, for refusing to attend the Conservative’s white tie State Banquet at Buckingham Palace “to honour Donald Trump”? ........

I'm afraid that modern politics, and even the role of Consitutional Monarch, requires quite a bit of supping with the devil and using the longest available spoon, but Corbyn had the luxury of being in opposition rather than in office and could therefore sidestep and critcise Trump openly. He had little prospect of ever being in office of course so maybe his only obligation was to think how it would look to his contituency. And it wasn't quite as obvious then just how bad and dangerous Trump would eventually appear to be, even if no one in their right minds would have welcomed him into their home as a guest if they'd had the choice,our Queen had no choice at the time; it was a necessary part of her job.

Even now, when we can all see just how bad and dangerous Trump has probably been all along, our in-office politicians have to take care with what they actually say. Our politicians will perhaps be more open and outspoken once the bastard is out of office. Only a fortnight to go!

Well some of us on here managed very early on before he was elected to see just how dangerous he would be so you would think our elected leaders would have been able to figure that one out also. Perhaps not.

This bloke had him sussed though eh? Well for a bit at least. (lol)

Barryd999 - 2021-01-07 10:48 AM

a) Surely Trumps actions yesterday inciting a mob which resulted in the deaths (so far) of four people is a criminal offence isnt it? At the very least they need to remove him from office today before he does any more damage.

b) As for that video of Patel. She is clearly of the same ilk. The Americans managed to do away with Trump and Populism, lets hope its not too long before we can do the same.

a) Reading some of stuff that the likes Rudy Giuliani ( & Trump Jr?) and then Trump himself were spouting at that rally, you would think that there would be some law(s) to hold them accountable?

However, like other such s*te stirrers, they tend go just far enough to incite others to do stuff, whilst stopping just short enough so as not to directly implicate themselves.. ("dog whistle politics" I think they call it?).

b) I did see other interviews in which Patel DID say that Trump's word did "directly" incite the violence. I have no idea of the timelines of the interviews, so I don't know if the Sky interview is her backtracking? or whether she increased her criticism in later interviews?

As bad as last night's events were, when you consider just how "militia" ("tooled-up" with assault rifles etc) some of Trump's supporters have been at some previous rallies/demos, it could have got a hell of a lot worse...!?

Lets just hope that one positive that comes out of this, is that in future folk won't let themselves get so easily fooled by a vile, spoilt, self serving bully boy. (...although they do say, "birds of a feather, flock together.." ?)

:-S

pepe63 - 2021-01-07 12:31 PM

Barryd999 - 2021-01-07 10:48 AM

As bad as last night's events were, when you consider just how "militia" ("tooled-up" with assault rifles etc) some of Trump's supporters have been at some previous rallies/demos, it could have got a hell of a lot worse...!?

The reason it " didn't get worse " is because there was no-one there to fight with.

I would assume there will now be an inquiry into why the Capitol building was unprotected - and who decided NOT to take any action.

:-|

Archived