Typical hypocritical back stabbing Communist.........Scientist.....

Guest pelmetman

Guest pelmetman

*-) ...........

Scientist shamelessly rewrites Covid history

Even before the inevitable public inquiry into the performance of the Government during the coronavirus crisis, the books are coming in with their own verdicts.

A gripping account by the investigative journalists Jonathan Calvert and George Arbuthnott, is one of the first. The title alone, Failures Of State, tells you this is a damning assessment.

One of their most critical interviewees is Professor Susan Michie, who throughout the period has been a senior member of the Government's Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies.

So it is quite something that Michie condemns the Government's decision just over a year ago not to suspend the Cheltenham Festival, with its vast and densely packed crowds of horseracing fans.

'I thought Cheltenham should definitely not have been allowed to go ahead,' she told the authors. 'I remember looking at the television images of what was happening there and feeling slightly nauseous about it, just feeling: 'God, this is awful.' Given what was happening in Italy and we could see what was happening here, it just didn't seem appropriate.'

I was amazed by this, as I distinctly recall Michie going on numerous radio and television programmes at exactly that time, defending the Government's decision.

And sure enough, still available online is an encounter on the BBC between the Prof and Andrew Neil, in which the presenter asks her: 'In parts of Europe they've banned big sporting events.

'What did you think when you saw the pictures of tens of thousands at the Cheltenham races this week? Did it make you wonder if we were doing the right thing?'

Prof Michie replied that it made sense to go ahead with the festival, on the grounds that if people weren't in the stands, they'd be watching it crowded together in pubs.

Which, of course, would not have happened if the event had been cancelled, as she now claims she wanted.

And far from looking 'nauseous', she was smiling as she reassured Mr Neil.

She even used her Twitter account to defend Boris Johnson's refusal at that stage to introduce mandatory social restrictions, rebutting a Labour MP who said this laid-back attitude would lead to the deaths of 'elderly and vulnerable people'.

Yet now, Michie tells the authors of Failures Of State that 'immediate interventions at an early stage would have made far more sense', adding: 'I hope there is not just a Government inquiry but an independent public inquiry.

'I think that will be one of the things will be seen as among many mistakes the Government has made, one of the bigger ones.'

As I say, amazing. Michie might claim that back in March of last year she was merely defending the official line, as an official adviser.

But what sort of scientist would defend a policy that she believed at the time was fatal? And she was not at all obliged to go on all these programmes: there were plenty of other Government advisers available.

No: what we are witnessing is a shameless re-writing of the history of our Covid-19 policy-making, by one of its more prominent participants.

Intriguingly, Professor Michie has been a member of the British Communist Party since 1978. She comes from a political tradition in which the past was frequently re-written to avoid any admissions of error 'by the party'.

As the old Soviet joke went: 'The past is rewritten so quickly, you don't know what's going to happen yesterday.'

Now it's happening here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9436115/DOMINIC-LAWSON-Keir-Starmers-problem.html

Communists and Lefties are natural LIARS *-) ............

Hmmmmmmmm!! :-D Raw politics, innit? Conservaitve supporting journalist quotes selectively from book that is highly critical of present Conservative government, and finds a quote he can discredit in an attempt to discredit the thrust of the book - all 426 pages of it! :-D Desperation?? (lol)

The same interview was referred to during an interview with Michie by Tim Adams in the Guardian on 20 September 2020.

Adams put to her: "I guess when the inevitable inquiry eventually happens, it will focus on those early weeks in the middle of March, when infection was rife, but we were slow to lock down. I was looking at an interview you did with Andrew Neil at that time, when you were concerned about the unintended consequences of, for example, cancelling sporting events. Do you think, with hindsight, we should have been more far concerned with direct consequences, rather than possible knock-on behaviours?

To which Michie replied: "I do. And I remember that interview. And at the beginning, I was very uncomfortable about these events going ahead. But I also knew that trusted leadership was really important in terms of adherence. And so I supported what Chris Whitty was saying and what the government was saying. I stopped because there was too much of a contradiction between what I thought and what was being said and done. The thinking at that time was that if you prevent crowds going to these outdoor events, people will go and watch them in pubs. In retrospect, we should have also closed down the pubs.

The Guardian interview has a link to the interview between Michie and Neil, which seems more than Lawson allowed. Selective memory, honest explanation of conflict of loyalty, or post hoc justification. You decide.

However, Lawson, for his Mail audience, goes all hysterical, and tries to rubbish the whole book on that one basis, and doesn't give the link to the interview. I've only got to page 40 so far, so I'll let you know. :-) There are 9 pages of attributed references at the end of the book. Michie is referenced 4 times. Some book review, Dom! (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-04-05 10:16 AM

pelmetman - 2021-04-05 8:41 AM

Does that mean that right wing politicians learn it as they grow up ?

(?)

Just p*ssing on the Moral Highground that our resident Loony Lefty LOSERS keep striving for :D .........

Yet always end up on Hypocrite Hill (lol) (lol) (lol) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-06 7:50 AM

(?)

Just p*ssing on the Moral Highground that our resident Loony Lefty LOSERS keep striving for :D .........

All ask again as you have now failed to answer on the other threads.

Speaking of hypocrisy, have you apologised for spreading fake news about the Independent QC and his SNP membership yet?

As clearly to not apologise would be very , what's the word? Oh yes hypocritical.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-06 7:55 AM

(?)

Speaking of hypocrisy, have you apologised for spreading fake news about the Independent QC and his SNP membership yet?

As clearly to not apologise would be very , what's the word? Oh yes hypocritical.

I refer the Hypocritical LOSER to my previous reply ;-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-06 8:05 AM

(?)

What when you suggested that you didn't spread fake news, merely cut and pasted from a article that was fake news? I know your English comprehension isn't very good, but when you copy or link to a article that is fake news, well that's spreading it.

Guest pelmetman
CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-06 8:46 AM

(?)

What when you suggested that you didn't spread fake news, merely cut and pasted from a article that was fake news? I know your English comprehension isn't very good, but when you copy or link to a article that is fake news, well that's spreading it.

I can hardly be held responsible for some journo's sloppy fact checking can I? ;-) .........

Besides spreading fake news by accident is not the same as LOSERS like Barry Fake News making it on purpose is it? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-06 9:43 AM

CurtainRaiser - 2021-04-06 8:46 AM

(?)

I can hardly be held responsible for some journo's sloppy fact checking can I? ;-) .........

Besides spreading fake news by accident is not the same as LOSERS like Barry Fake News making it on purpose is it? *-) ..........

So YOU have now admitted that YOU spread fake news, good.

So all YOU need to do now is to apologise to everyone.

As by YOUR own definition anything else would be hypocritical.

Yes, because by repeating it unchecked, you are endorsing it, and by doing so become responsible for it. The same is true with the Lawson piece you repeated at length above, as I've already pointed out. No free lunch!

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-06 2:51 PM

Yes, because by repeating it unchecked, you are endorsing it, and by doing so become responsible for it. The same is true with the Lawson piece you repeated at length above, as I've already pointed out. No free lunch!

How do you FACT check a journo's source? *-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-04-06 4:11 PM

You ask Boris Johnson if it's true.

:-|

Not necessary. Just research what they say. If you don't find corroboration, don't quote it. It ain't rocket science, is it? But Malc's idea is probably more your style! (lol) (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2021-04-07 4:17 PM

Not necessary. Just research what they say. If you don't find corroboration, don't quote it. It ain't rocket science, is it? But Malc's idea is probably more your style! (lol) (lol)

Talking of fact checking ;-) ..........

Have you found any corroboration for this claim yet?........"Says no Italian input detectable. So, with a significant number of the UK's scientists saying no detectable Italian Input" ..........

P1010899.JPG.991c8477e1fff6640ffce4234c1f7fe8.JPG

pelmetman - 2021-04-08 8:15 AM

Have you found any corroboration for this claim yet?........"Says no Italian input detectable. So, with a significant number of the UK's scientists saying no detectable Italian Input" ..........

Yes, and I've replied.

Brian Kirby - 2021-04-08 12:58 PM

Yes, and I've replied.

If your reply was included in a long sentence, Dave is unlikely to see it.

:D

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2021-04-08 1:12 PM

Brian Kirby - 2021-04-08 12:58 PM

Yes, and I've replied.

If your reply was included in a long sentence, Dave is unlikely to see it.

:D

Indeed Malc :D ........

Archived