U.H.T. Milk

Mike Parke

Just seen an article in the Daily Mail. It says that H.M.G. want 90% of milk to be U.H.T. in order to reduce carbon emissions by reducing waste and the need to store it refridgerated. H.M.G. (DEFRA) are quote as saying that it is not the govt. intention to tell people what kind of milk to drink but their role is to provide the facts to enable the consumer to make an informed choice based on a range of considerations one being the need to take action to reduce 'greenhouse gas' emissions. So now you know, drink U.H.T. milk and save the planet!!

Being a lifelong dedicated cynic I query the point that H.M.G. has never provided us with 'the facts' merely what they wish us to be told!!

Regards Mike

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2007-10-16 9:49 PM

Tracker - 2007-10-16 9:43 PM

Ultra

Horrible

Taste

I agree - I'd rather do without than have something that tastes like old cabbages.

Oh is that why you dumped me then?

Mike Parke - 2007-10-16 9:41 PM

Being a lifelong dedicated cynic I query the point that H.M.G. has never provided us with 'the facts' merely what they wish us to be told!!

Regards Mike

'the facts' are the facts when it comes to this milk, it does require a lot less energy from coming out the cow, to going down your neck.........but i do agree that its something they wish us to be told

This was discussed the other day on Jeremy vine's show. A caller made a very good point though, just because you don't need to refrigerate UHT milk you wouldn't switch your fridge off by using UHT would you 'cos there's all sorts of perishabel items kept in your fridge besides milk.

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-10-17 8:26 AM

This was discussed the other day on Jeremy vine's show. A caller made a very good point though, just because you don't need to refrigerate UHT milk you wouldn't switch your fridge off by using UHT would you 'cos there's all sorts of perishabel items kept in your fridge besides milk.

D.

That is a good point. If I recall correctly (and I may be mistaken), manufacturer advice is to keep fridges and freezers full rather than empty as they work more effectively that way. If that is the case removing milk might increase the amount of energy used to keep the fridge at the required temperature.

Graham

This is where it all breaks down for people like myself who are looking for simple changes to lifestyle that will improve our green credentials.

Whether or not we should be cynical, the UHT proposal might, at face value, have some legs. But then, as mentioned above, we need to factor in energy changes due to a lesser filled fridge. And I for one would like to know the impact of the "Heat" part of Ultra Heat Treated. The milk is raised to 135 - 145 degrees C for 1 - 2 seconds. Somewhere along the line we need to count the energy to do this for millions of gallons of milk.

We also need to count the lost UHT milk through spillage, due to Tesco containers never pouring correctly (I am reasonably well travelled and Tesco are the only company in the world who make pouring containers that don't actually pour!) Light-hearted, I know, but it is actually a real issue - every drop spilled costs us and the environment.

We should look at the relative energies used in recycling plastic vs cardboard milk containers (inc. overseas transport to the recycling depots).

And we should look into the relative energies needed to make these containers.

And I'm sure there are a dozen other energy inputs and outputs to be considered, requiring expertice in farming, milk production, storage and transport, recycling etc etc.  And all of them open to debate and criticism.

We get our milk delivered in re-used bottles by a milkman in a small van. We buy only what we need. But I'm sure there can be holes picked in our logic as well. This is where it all falls down, too many unknowns, leaving good suggestions open to criticism, and leaving the well-meaning rudderless.

There is only one way through all this, in my opinion. Consume less of everything, steer away as much as possible from those things you won't personally keep or re-use, and teach the kids to do the same. Don't give up your 21st century lifestyle, just turn it back a notch. And petition your local politicians to do the same.

An interesting related snippet, in the Australian papers the other day - the Australian Government is set to ban all plasma and most LCD TVs. The energy consumption by these is apparently 30% of the normal household energy bill. Now I know that flat screen owners will leap to the defence of their pride and joy. But 30%? Thats an awfully big number! If all governments banned them, I guarantee with a capital G that flat screen manufacturers would improve the technology to get back on the shelves again.

Guest Tracker
Had some UHT milk today when we ran out of real milk and it was not too bad - no really - not wonderful but not too bad and I could probably get used to it if I had to - but I would not choose to!

We drink semi-skimmed UHT all the time, we don't have 'normal' milk now. We used have 'normal' pasteurised milk to but as we were used to sterilised milk I cold never get used to the taste of pasteurised in my tea/coffee etc, so as bottled sterilised became more and more difficult to get hold of, not to mention very expensive, we switched to UHT. We actually prefer it to pasteurised now as it has more taste - some pasteurised can be quite watery and tasteless. It also means that we can bulk buy and not have to keep going to the shop for milk (so less use of the car! :-D ). We get ours from Lidl as it's the cheapest by around 17p a carton compared to Tesco etc plus I agree that the Tesco ones are absolute sods to try to pour with, you end up wasting more than you use.

Archived