UK Poverty probed by UN

Bulletguy

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

its an absolute disgrace, if you can you should watch last nights Panorama programme. Record number and amount of rent arrears resulting in escalating evictions. Benefit for rent should be paid direct to the landlord and this would alleviate a huge problem. The number of ordinary people forced to foodbanks is a disgrace and humiliating to the people having to attend them. Very hard to expect somebody to pay rent while watching their children go hungry.

cheers

derek

Guest pelmetman
derek pringle - 2018-11-13 9:09 AM

Hi,

its an absolute disgrace, if you can you should watch last nights Panorama programme. Record number and amount of rent arrears resulting in escalating evictions. Benefit for rent should be paid direct to the landlord and this would alleviate a huge problem. The number of ordinary people forced to foodbanks is a disgrace and humiliating to the people having to attend them. Very hard to expect somebody to pay rent while watching their children go hungry.

cheers

derek

Speaking as a Landlord I agree ;-) ..........

The rise in evictions is because the government changed the rules thinking they could teach snowflakes how to be responsible 8-) ..........

Like that was gonna work *-) .........

And yet people still say they can see no Austerity because all they see is Government statistics *-)

It was good to see a representative of Gingerbread on the programme who support single parents. But what of people who fall outside that exclusive group? Who is helping them?

Government intervention in the housing market has forced rents above wages - so even some of those in work are struggling to feed themselves. And those on benefits have to be even worse off than those in work as an incentive to get a job.

We are not going to solve this problem without building more houses, to bring housing costs back into proportion with wages..

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-13 9:27 AM

And yet people still say they can see no Austerity because all they see is Government statistics *-)

It was good to see a representative of Gingerbread on the programme who support single parents. But what of people who fall outside that exclusive group? Who is helping them?

Government intervention in the housing market has forced rents above wages - so even some of those in work are struggling to feed themselves. And those on benefits have to be even worse off than those in work as an incentive to get a job.

We are not going to solve this problem without building more houses, to bring housing costs back into proportion with wages..

Maybe those folk who leave their house unoccupied for 90% of the year should put their gaff where their gob is? ;-) .............

Hi,

cheers

derek

I'm inclined to agree Derek. For a country that is supposedly the 5th/6th "largest economy" on the planet, it is a very poorly managed state of affairs.

I doubt it would apply to many on a 'site such as this, but many working folk are only ever a couple of missed pay cheques away from serious hardship and once a downwards spiral has begun (what with waiting for much needed benefits to come through, resulting in arrears, eviction, or foreclosure etc) I should imagine it would be difficult to gain a foothold again...

Whilst I agree that many more "council" houses are required, more houses aren't going to help if the system is just failing to get the necessary funds("housing benefit" as was, etc?)through to those that need it in a timely manner now...?

thebishbus - 2018-11-13 10:08 AM

A lot of the housing problems could be solved by modern factory built pre fab type houses. It worked before after the war .

BrianB.

i agree with you there. I was evacuated , and lived in a prefab. Quiet comfortable it was. I am sure that with to-days modern building supplies , they could be real luxuries!

What annoys me is, that people say they can't afford food, yet they can SMOKE and DRINK, and have hugh TV, s in the house. I say get your priorities right! Food and Shelter first!

PJay

PJay - 2018-11-13 10:30 AM

What annoys me is, that people say they can't afford food, yet they can SMOKE and DRINK, and have hugh TV, s in the house. I say get your priorities right! Food and Shelter first!

PJay

Some people yes but not all.

(Likewise some pensioners will be claiming winter fuel allowance whilst they are abroad for months in their motorhomes, and some even claiming against home addresses which aren't "their" homes..but does that mean we should vilify all 'fuel allowance recipients? :-S

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-11-13 10:42 AM

PJay

(Likewise some pensioners will be claiming winter fuel allowance whilst they are abroad for months in their motorhomes, and some even claiming against home addresses which aren't "their" homes..but does that mean we should vilify all 'fuel allowance recipients? :-S

A significant amount do :-| .........

Why is it when ever they have someone on the tv moaning about how hard up they are.......they have a humongous wide screed telly in the background? *-) .......

I doubt there's many folk on here, who don't know of a family that hasn't milked the system for decades ;-) ...........

It makes me laugh when old people, and people with an "old" mind set bang on about big TVs..

Just because they may have clung onto a TV that is as deep as it is wide, they consider a TV that is wide and flat as the preserve of the rich and famous or something from the far off future (lol)

These things get flogged off cheap as anything in second-hand and charity type shops nowadays...

As for knowing families "that milked the system for decades",

Although I don't know him personally, I have heard there's a bloke who likes to brag a lot about how much he earned(more than head teachers apparently, and all for only 2-3 days work!) and who likes to round on "scroungers" in receipt of state benefits...and all whilst he's more than happy to claim them himself..

I know!..some people have no shame. (lol)

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 9:20 AM

Hi,

cheers

derek

The rise in evictions is because the government changed the rules thinking they could teach snowflakes how to be responsible 8-) ..........

The Government changed the rules - giving rent direct to the tenant - when they cut housing benefit below the level of rents.

thebishbus - 2018-11-13 10:08 AM

A lot of the housing problems could be solved by modern factory built pre fab type houses. It worked before after the war .

BrianB.

Where there is a will there is a way.

But increasing housing supply depresses rents, to the detriment of the idle rich landlords controlling the Government.

Guest pelmetman
pepe63 - 2018-11-13 11:22 AM

It makes me laugh when old people, and people with an "old" mind set bang on about big TVs..

Just because they may have clung onto a TV that is as deep as it is wide, they consider a TV that is wide and flat as the preserve of the rich and famous or something from the far off future (lol)

These things get flogged off cheap as anything in second-hand and charity type shops nowadays...

Although I don't know him personally, I have heard there's a bloke who likes to brag a lot about how much he earned(more than head teachers apparently, and all for only 2-3 days work!) and who likes to round on "scroungers" in receipt of state benefits...and all whilst he's more than happy to claim them himself..

Dunno who your talking about? :-S ...........But I'm self funding my early retirement ;-) ........

BTW the benefit scroungers I know wouldn't be seen dead in a charity shop 8-) .......

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2018-11-13 12:01 PM

Hi,

cheers

derek

The Government changed the rules - giving rent direct to the tenant - when they cut housing benefit below the level of rents.

The level of rents is set by supply and demand ;-) ...........

If you cant afford the rent in your area then you need to move to a cheaper area :-| ..........

I can afford a new car.......but I cant afford a Roll Royce.......Should I expect them to sell me one for what I can afford???? :-S ........

Hi,

I missed that Derek so will watch on iplayer; https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bs39ky/panorama-the-universal-credit-crisis

Sadly i doubt it's going to tell me anything different to what i already know.

pepe63 - 2018-11-13 10:42 AM

PJay

PJay.....lots of people get this mixed up. The winter fuel allowance is actually part of the state pension package which which was thrashed out to keep state pensions down which btw are the poorest in Europe. Due to horrendous increases in utilities (14% this year alone), the £200 i receive doesn't even make a dent in covering heating costs.

https://www.50connect.co.uk/blogs/how-does-the-uk-pension-measure-up-against-the-res

You are right on the second part though which is actually fraud.

pelmetman - 2018-11-13 12:37 PM

Hi,

cheers

derek

If you cant afford the rent in your area then you need to move to a cheaper area :-| ..........

I can afford a new car.......but I cant afford a Roll Royce.......Should I expect them to sell me one for what I can afford???? :-S ........

I think some people have already pointed out that the level of rent is dependent on supply and demand Dave. What's more, isn't it likely that an area has property that is cheaper to rent because there is no work or very low paid work available? On the one hand you want people to show they are willing to work and not scroungers yet on the other you think it better that they choose an option that make it less likely that they will find work or, if they manage to find it, they will still be reliant on state benefits. The poor just can't win if we follow your logic.

I also wonder where it is in the UK that you think there loads of empty houses available for rent sufficient to make up the shortfall of available housing. P'raps we should put the people who are dependent on housing benefit and other benefits on a bus to the middle of nowhere with one bag each, no TVs, and a tent, or we could reinstate some of the workhouses beloved of the Victorians I suppose.

pepe63 - 2018-11-13 11:22 AM

Yes you are right. I finally bought a flat screen 10 years ago for £300. I think it's a 38" screen. Now i'm seeing 55" screens advertised at that price or even less. My tv still has a great picture etc so i'm not bothered about buying another just for a bigger screen....besides, what would mine sell for....£25? May as well keep it!

Big screen tv's have been around for years in the US (let's face it everything has to be big there!) and the flat screen in UK when it eventually arrived, quickly got tagged as "chavvy" as those were usually the types who owned them. It's our class system we have here. Own a BMW? Must be "rich"....yet fact is there are so many of them you can buy a second hand one cheaper than a small Ford or whatever.

Although I don't know him personally, I have heard there's a bloke who likes to brag a lot about how much he earned (more than head teachers apparently, and all for only 2-3 days work!) and who likes to round on "scroungers" in receipt of state benefits...and all whilst he's more than happy to claim them himself..

Not to mention he's just added yet another "job" to his bulging cv as he now claims to be a Landlord! *-)

Hi,

cheers

derek

Rubbish! This man bought one off ebay without even viewing it for just £4,100.....but then when it comes to cars he does know what he's talking about.....oh and yes, in case you're wondering he also owns those other cars.

Violet1956 - 2018-11-13 3:48 PM

Hi,

cheers

derek

I think some people have already pointed out that the level of rent is dependent on supply and demand Dave. What's more, isn't it likely that an area has property that is cheaper to rent because there is no work or very low paid work available? On the one hand you want people to show they are willing to work and not scroungers yet on the other you think it better that they choose an option that make it less likely that they will find work or, if they manage to find it, they will still be reliant on state benefits. The poor just can't win if we follow your logic.

I also wonder where it is in the UK that you think there loads of empty houses available for rent sufficient to make up the shortfall of available housing. P'raps we should put the people who are dependent on housing benefit and other benefits on a bus to the middle of nowhere with one bag each, no TVs, and a tent, or we could reinstate some of the workhouses beloved of the Victorians I suppose.

Good post Veronica. When you've got so many contradictions it's hard to see where, if any, there is any logic at all! I'm sure he'd send kids back up chimneys....the few we have remaining! My mother told me about times of the workhouse and the remains of our local one still stand....as part of the hospital. The stone plaque is still on the wall.

It is shocking indeed but whats even more worrying and frankly disgusting is that millions on the breadline were conned into making themselves even worse off by voting for Brexit. I know your going to groan but its relevant as all the areas Brexit threatens to effect the most are generally those where there are the highest levels of poverty and unemployment. When the economy tanks and hits those places hardest who is going to bale them out then? Not wealthy motorhomers who just wanted to get shot of funny foreigners thats for sure and probably not the Tories either. Definitely not the Tories!

Bulletguy - 2018-11-13 3:13 PM

Hi,

I missed that Derek so will watch on iplayer; https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0bs39ky/panorama-the-universal-credit-crisis

Sadly i doubt it's going to tell me anything different to what i already know.

Thoroughly depressing to watch. It's obvious to all who took part, apart from the Minister of State for Employment who just waffled the party mantra, that UC is a catastrophic failure resulting in evictions. The man who got sanctioned because he can't use a computer and needs someone who can, that was also completely ludicrous. In danger of being sanctioned again, turns up at the Job Centre place only to be told the person he needs to see has 'gone on holiday', so they sanction him again! Totally batsh1t crazy. *-)

Benefit for rent should be paid direct to the landlord and this would alleviate a huge problem.

Back in the days when housing benefit covered the rent thats what they did.

Now it doesn't cover the rent, and the difference has to be made up from the food budget, people have the choice of;

Foodbank - for 3 days

Feed themselves until they get evicted and put in emergency accommodation at greater cost to the taxpayer than their rent would have been

Crime - passing the cost from the benefits budget to other agencies like Police. Courts, Prisons, Supermarkets who have to add the cost of shoplifting to our prices, or in most cases just the victims of crime as 95% goes unsolved: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jun/17/figures-less-than-5-of-burglaries-and-robberies-in-uk-solved

Archived