UK loses almost £1 TRILLION in more "one way traffic"

Bulletguy

Banks, asset managers and insurers have already moved nearly £1 trillion of assets out of the UK to other European countries ahead of Brexit, with more likely to be shifted in coming months.

“This is not Project Fear; this has already happened,” says William Wright, the managing director of New Financial and one of the authors of the report.

Dublin is by far the biggest beneficiary on the moves, with 100 firms relocating to the Irish capital, followed by Luxembourg with 60, Paris with 41, Frankfurt with 40 and Amsterdam with 32. More than 40 firms are moving staff or business to more than one EU financial centre.

“This is phase one,” says Mr Wright. “The European authorities have, up to this point, made things as easy as possible for the companies looking to set up operations in the EU. But over time it is inevitable that they will require financial institutions to staff-up their EU hubs. And that will mean more business, more assets and more jobs moving from the UK.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/03/11/new-research-lays-bare-900bn-city-brexodus/

https://news.sky.com/video/nearly-1tn-moved-to-eu-ahead-of-brexit-study-11662186

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/the-brexodus-dublin-attracting-big-business-from-the-city-of-london-1.3821678

Funny how this all seems to be "one way traffic" with UK haemorrhaging finance, jobs and companies, with absolutely nothing coming the other way. Where is this mass exodus of businesses Brexiters claimed would be flocking to UK? Their silence on this is deafening.

antony1969 - 2019-03-12 11:16 AM

... https://news.sky.com/story/economy-grows-at-fastest-pace-for-25-months-in-january-11662927 ... Germany the powerhouse of Europe has cut is economic growth forecast for 2019 to 0.8% ... Is Germany leaving the EU

No but a lot of our financial services are moving to Frankfurt. If countries like Germany are not doing so well its part of a new global downturn so its nothing to celebrate. Quite the opposite in fact as it means Brexit will hit our economy even harder.

Guest pelmetman

Has anyone on here finances actually suffered since the vote? :-S ...........

Cant say mine have B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2019-03-12 12:22 PM

Of course they have. The pound tanked so that had an effect on everyone's cost of living from the price of petrol to French wine.

Jan to May is usually my busiest time. Its dead as a door nail and nobody is spending. Its not just me that says that either.

After the vote software and hardware shot up in price and I had outstanding quotes which were a lower price to the end user than the new price I could buy at. It was hard to pass on as there was still equipment and software floating around at the old price just not from my suppliers. Everything is 20-25% more expensive than it was before the referendum.

Supermarket prices have also gone up or they have used tricky shrinkflation tactics with either poorer quality ingredients or same box less goods.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-03-12 12:29 PM

Of course they have. The pound tanked so that had an effect on everyone's cost of living from the price of petrol to French wine.

Jan to May is usually my busiest time. Its dead as a door nail and nobody is spending. Its not just me that says that either.

After the vote software and hardware shot up in price and I had outstanding quotes which were a lower price to the end user than the new price I could buy at. It was hard to pass on as there was still equipment and software floating around at the old price just not from my suppliers. Everything is 20-25% more expensive than it was before the referendum.

Supermarket prices have also gone up or they have used tricky shrinkflation tactics with either poorer quality ingredients or same box less goods.

So what was your excuse when the pound euro was at the same exchange rate in 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012, 2013? >:-) ...........

BTW prices have gone up in Spain 8-) ............

It's now on average 15 euros for a 3 course meal with wine ...........Is that due to Brexit? :D .......

pelmetman - 2019-03-12 12:33 PM

It's now on average 15 euros for a 3 course meal with wine ...........Is that due to Brexit? :D .......

In the space of two posts you contradict yourself saying your "finances haven't suffered since the vote" yet "prices have gone up in Spain".

That doesn't compute! :-|

(incidentally cig prices in Spain have gone down from last year.)

So what was your excuse when the pound euro was at the same exchange rate in 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012, 2013? >:-) ...........

Its not just to do with the Euro Numbnuts its the Dollar as well which the pound crashed almost overnight to a 35 year low against. You would have to be completely Ga Ga not to have noticed how stuff has cost more since the referendum and in your no deal fantasy experts predict maybe another 20% drop. Pound is tanking already today against the Dollar and the Euro. Those Chlorinated chickens will be going up in price.

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2019-03-12 2:36 PM

Its not just to do with the Euro Numbnuts its the Dollar as well which the pound crashed almost overnight to a 35 year low against. You would have to be completely Ga Ga not to have noticed how stuff has cost more since the referendum and in your no deal fantasy experts predict maybe another 20% drop. Pound is tanking already today against the Dollar and the Euro. Those Chlorinated chickens will be going up in price.

So why isn't the euro doing any better against the dollar Dumbnuts ? ;-) ...........

Perhaps Europe needs a Trump? >:-) ........

Archived