UK number 1 in Europe

Bulletguy

UK first country in Europe to pass 150,000 Covid deaths

More than 150,000 people have died in the UK from coronavirus since the start of the pandemic, according to government figures.

Britain on Saturday became the seventh country to pass the milestone after the US, Brazil, India, Russia, Mexico and Peru.

It comes after an additional 313 deaths were recorded, bringing the pandemic total to 150,057 people who have died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid.

However, separate figures published by the Office for National Statistics show there have been 174,000 deaths registered in the UK where coronavirus was mentioned on the death certificate.

In the past seven days, 1,271 people have died, a 38% rise on the week before.

It comes as an additional 146,390 Covid cases were reported on Saturday, bringing the overall total since the start of the pandemic to 14,333,794.

In the past seven days alone, 1,227,288 people have tested positive, according to official figures, marking more than a 10% rise on the week before.

Last January, the UK became the first European country to pass 100,000 deaths.

https://tinyurl.com/32zaawb8

8553568_Johnsonsworldbeating.thumb.JPG.34a514dfb2500141b145156017be5734.JPG

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 10:07 PM

But from the stats that come across my desk Bulgaria has 4212.26 deaths per million of population.

Italy has 2,243.31

The U.K. has 2,197.23

Hungary has 3,662.53

How is it we do so well compared to others?

Apart from Italy who have now seen similar deaths to us the handful in Europe that have now overtaken us are poorer ex communist bloc / Eastern European countries. Considering we are in Island nation with 150000 deaths which as I have demonstrated is many many times more than similar Island nations how on earth do you arrive at the conclusion that "We have done so well"? Is this some kind of wind up?

We have been overtaken because the vaccine producers and the NHS and a massive team of volunteers pulled us out the sh1t but lets not forget on several occasions we had the worse death rate in the entire world on more than one occasion before they did that. Now imagine if we had not had the vaccine or the NHS and it was just left to Johnson and his team. 8-)

I suspect UK is number 1 in Europe in what we have borrowed and wasted on Covid too?

People don't seem to realise the next round of tax rises would take over 20 years just to pay it back .. and whats left of the wealth creators are handcuffed by Brexit etc.

I'm just thankful that Johnson didn't manage to kill off 95 year old Sir David Attenborough when he apparently fell asleep next to him without a facemask at the climate change conference. >:-)

Last nights Green Planet was probably the best ever. Only thing left on the BBC I have found worth watching.

Gremlin - 2022-01-10 3:35 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-10 1:06 AM

Gremlin - 2022-01-09 10:07 PM

But from the stats that come across my desk Bulgaria has 4212.26 deaths per million of population.

Italy has 2,243.31

The U.K. has 2,197.23

Hungary has 3,662.53

How is it we do so well compared to others?

Apart from Italy who have now seen similar deaths to us the handful in Europe that have now overtaken us are poorer ex communist bloc / Eastern European countries. Considering we are in Island nation with 150000 deaths which as I have demonstrated is many many times more than similar Island nations how on earth do you arrive at the conclusion that "We have done so well"? Is this some kind of wind up?

We have been overtaken because the vaccine producers and the NHS and a massive team of volunteers pulled us out the sh1t but lets not forget on several occasions we had the worse death rate in the entire world on more than one occasion before they did that. Now imagine if we had not had the vaccine or the NHS and it was just left to Johnson and his team. 8-)

I never knew Belgium was once part of the old communist block.

But with 2,386.54 deaths per million population this has to become a fact or the above narrative wouldn’t work.

I also have to have a chuckle over how the same people berate the fact that we record as a covid death anyone who had it when they died, even if the proverbial Grand Piano landed on top of them - and then make a big song and dance about how dreadful it is that the U.K. has reached the awfully sad 150,000 death “milestone”

France for example is hot on our heels with 1,857.46 deaths per million (as at 12th Dec - Statistica) but whilst the population size is very similar to the U.K. - France is circa 2.3 times larger than the U.K.

And I know some on here do not like such a fact as again it really rather spoils their “spin”, their narrative, population density is a factor in the spread of any communical disease and Covid is no different.

Consider the facts

Belgium has more deaths per million population than the U.K. - and it has a higher population density at 375 inhabitants per Km2

France is just below the U.K. regarding Covid deaths per million population and its population density is 119 inhabitants per Km2.

The U.K. comes in at 281 inhabitants per Km2

It’s a crude analysis because population densities in towns and cities end up being a far better predictor. But the figures are indicative of how the disease spreads.

It is also true that the U.K. is a major transport hub. Particularly air transport. And yes, we could have stopped infections coming into the country by applying strict lockdown.

But much of this criticism is pushed with certainty of hindsight on the one hand and no thought to the economic disruption such draconian measures would have caused on the other.

You don't really want to use Belgium as an example, it's been discussed before here and using the same method of measurement UK deaths would be over 174,000.

"Unlike many other countries, Belgium also counts suspected coronavirus deaths that occur outside hospitals. Even though Belgian virologist Marc Van Ranst called this “dumb” in the past, and several politicians are concerned for the country’s good reputation, the National Research and Public Health Institute Sciensano stands by this system.

“In a good recording system you take into account both confirmed and suspected cases,” said inter-federal Covid-19 spokesperson Steven Van Gucht of Friday 17 April. “That is good standard practice. Any system can overestimate or underestimate. That is inherent in a counting system,” he said, adding that Sciensano is “not concerned in the least with our international rankings.”"

https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/107216/coronavirus-how-did-belgium-get-the-highest-mortality-rate

And if you want to debate comparable population densities, economies and island nations have a look at Japan, another G7 island nation, higher population density and a total of 18,399 deaths, or 145 per million. Care to explain how they achieved that?

Archived