US Senators sold stocks before Covid-19 plunge

Bulletguy

Republican senator Richard Burr faced demands to resign on Friday after it was reported that he sold off millions of dollars’ worth of stocks just before the market dropped amid fears of the coronavirus pandemic.

It was reported that most of the sales took place on 13 February. Two weeks later, on 27 February, Burr made a speech in Washington in which he predicted dire consequences from the coronavirus, including school closures and cutbacks in company travel.

Three other senators known to have sold off substantial holdings just before the market dropped were Kelly Loeffler of Georgia, whose husband is chairman of the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE), Democrat Dianne Feinstein, of California, and Republican Jim Inhofe, of Oklahoma.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/20/republican-senators-sold-stocks-before-markets-plunged-on-coronavirus-fears-reports

Gotta love the hate filled Guardian who rely on others full of hate to spew their hate ... First word in the headline "Republican" ... which gets the haters going only to further down the story read a Democrat is as guilty of nothing ??? ... Kind of shows exactly the hate that festers in some doesnt it ??? ... Hate on

Birdbrain - 2020-03-20 5:45 PM

Gotta love the hate filled Guardian who rely on others full of hate to spew their hate ... First word in the headline "Republican" ... which gets the haters going only to further down the story read a Democrat is as guilty of nothing ??? ... Kind of shows exactly the hate that festers in some doesnt it ??? ... Hate on

Is the story in anyway inaccurate? Can’t see what hate has to do with it. It in American editorials as well.

jumpstart - 2020-03-20 5:47 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-03-20 5:45 PM

Is the story in anyway inaccurate? Can’t see what hate has to do with it. It in American editorials as well.

Princess calm yaself ... We dont know if any of the politicians had insider knowledge do we unless you and chief hater can prove otherwise ... You and numero uno hater would do well to just to say US politicians rather than show your hate towards Republicans ... Hate on chunky

Bulletguy - 2020-03-20 5:58 PM

Got to (it's not 'gotta') love the "hate filled" rage which descends like a red mist each time you see anything right wing criticised.......without realising one of 'your' own even condemned Burrs action. *-)

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-carlson-calls-on-sen-burr-to-explain-reported-1-6-million-stock-sale-or-resign

I dont know how many folk in the world have right wing views similar to mine but youve named 1 ... Ya know just 1 ... Hows about you name 5 , just 5 ... Keep on hating cos you are really good at it

Remarkable how Trump was saying 'Buy the dip' - whilst his Senators were selling, and just before the market crashed

Would be interesting to ask Trump what he has to say to his followers who followed his advice to buy before the market crashed.

But like BoJo, Trump only takes questions from his 'friendlies'

Bulletguy - 2020-03-20 6:34 PM

Antony was unable to challenge the link of right wing Carlson calling for Burr to resign so resorts to childish games and deflection.

He's easily destroyed....every time he opens his gob. (lol)

I'll translate ... Youve offered one individual out of millions but cant name any others like I asked for , not even one more ... Your spreading hate which you seem to be very good at ... I presume the restrictions or advice for family not to visit doesnt really affect you ???

I'll translate the above guff and nonsense from Antony. The Big Babie cannot debate a topic so throws his toys out, pulls the "hate" card where there never was any, then deflects with a load of hogwash.

OAL is for adult posters......you're out of your depth on here boy. (lol)

Bulletguy - 2020-03-20 8:03 PM

I'll translate the above guff and nonsense from Antony. The Big Babie cannot debate a topic so throws his toys out, pulls the "hate" card where there never was any, then deflects with a load of hogwash.

OAL is for adult posters......you're out of your depth on here boy. (lol)

So thats still just one then sweet cheeks I take it ... Hate on sweetie ... Hate on

• 3 months later...
Bulletguy - 2020-03-20 6:34 PM

Antony was unable to challenge the link of right wing Carlson calling for Burr to resign so resorts to childish games and deflection.

He's easily destroyed....every time he opens his gob. (lol)

yep

I agree

that was the only way

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-03-20 7:07 PM

Remarkable how Trump was saying 'Buy the dip' - whilst his Senators were selling, and just before the market crashed

Would be interesting to ask Trump what he has to say to his followers who followed his advice to buy before the market crashed.

Hows your off shore stash doing? ;-) .........

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-why-crushed-covid-120050900.html

pelmetman - 2020-06-25 8:27 AM

John52 - 2020-03-20 7:07 PM

Hows your off shore stash doing? ;-) .........

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/warren-buffett-why-crushed-covid-120050900.html

Just had a look

Since Warren Buffets advice to his wife I put 90% in the S&P 500 https://markets.ft.com/data/etfs/tearsheet/summary?s=CSP1:LSE:GBX

In a way its comforting that its still well up, but scary when you see how much it could fall back down

But I'd be more worried if it was in pounds

Article in FT yesterday 'Pound is becoming an emerging market currency, says BofA analyst'

The pound is now an emerging-market currency in all but name, according to analysts at Bank of America, who say that Brexit has turned it into a mirror of the “small and shrinking” UK economy.

This is the top rated comment

Chris May;

"As an outsider, I can certainly see that this is a good analogy. Britain has many properties of an emerging market:

- Widespread extreme income disparity.

- Entire regions which despite being beautiful to behold, offer zero hope to those still living there (Think Wales/ Midlands/ North etc).

- A fixation with a storied past and a future predetermined 'greatness'.

- Extremely low educational achievement, leading to people making bad life decisions for themselves.

- A chaotic and not fit for purpose political system, which has elevated an incompetent, boosterish clown as leader. With entirely predictable (and predicted) consequences.

- Public institutions that are underfunded and badly run.

- 'Advisors' who have huge amounts of power over decisions and policy affecting all of this, with zero accountability.

- A fixation with identifying and blaming internal and external enemies, who are to be used as an official scapegoat for your regime's many failures.

However, there is one main difference. Emerging markets are generally seen as at least trying to move forwards, however badly. Britain is not, it is actively sabotaging its own prospects, which is an amazing thing to witness. Maybe a new term needs coining for you? A regressing market, perhaps?"

Archived