Underfloor storage - fishing gear

flicka

Has anyone any info regarding fitting/using "cargo nets" for storage under the M/H. I am thinking this would be a lightweight option for my fishing keepnets as they are a bit smelly / messy for inside the M/H. (never mind the better half BANNING them) There is a large unused area behind the rear wheels of my Bessacarr E410 and cargo nets look to be a better option that bespoke made fixed storage. Any fishermen with storage experiences ? Unless that is, the more experienced among you shoot down another of what my better half, describes as my bl****y balmpot ideas. Flicka

Flika, I'm not about to shout down your idea I think it's a good idea. Can I ask a question or two 1 are the nets not constantly in water so there for they would not smell I appreciate that they are wet. could you not just give them a good shake. 2 Do the nets not come off from the pole. If they did then something like an Addidas box might help. I love fishing but quite have not got it together as yet I dont like to touch them why I dont know . have not got a clue what it feels like so have not got the foggiest why I am so frightned . Perhaps I will invest in some gloves. Good luck with your Idea.

Hi Michele What's the Addidas box, please? Regarding your questions. The nets are constantly in the water, whilst I'm fishing (if I manage to catch anything, that is) After fishing, I give them a shake and that get rid of most of the Water. They then go in a PVC Holdall, (yes, the pole screws off the net) but unless you can leave them to dry thoroughly, they usually go in the holdall at least damp. The holdalls tend to leak at the seams. The smell while the nets are drying is usually due to the fish slime. Hence the need to keep them outside the M/H. I would normally dry them fully after arriving home. I think the aprehension about handing fish is usually due to them being slippery and unexpected movements, rather than fear of what the fish will do. You could try a asmall cloth to help you handing them. I find gloves hinder me, usually get snagged up with the hook.But a lot of anglers use fingerless gloves, especially in winter. Flicka

I sympathise with your problem Flicka and I know from experience how much of a stink this can cause and how long it can last. What I normally do is to use a couple of polythene black bags used for refuse bins and put any fish caught in to one and any equipment into the others. If you tie these up tight then this should keep the smell at bay. Howard.

Flika, an addidas box is just a box plastic one that usually stacks but I can see from your reply that this is not going to stop your smell. I was just trying to aleviate your problem of hanging nets have you nothing on your roof say so you could climb up on your ladder and attach with cable ties your nets that way your good lady wife would not smell a thing. do they really smell that bad? how's about undoing the poles and as howard states putting the keepers in a black sack or a sealed sack then inside of a bag in the outside locker or garage ? anygood. we often strap light things onto the rails on the roof with cable ties.

Michele Thanks for your suggestions I don't want to use the outside access locker as it is directly under the side lounge locker, that makes up the bed. Also I don't have any roof rails. I thought they would be an expensive option versus hanging a slim cargo net under the M/H. (there is hardly any weight in the nets) I found a site on the web, http://www.allplas.co.uk/ which looks promising, they appear to have various different materials from Football goal nets , Cricket practice nets, through to elasticated nets for Cars boots. I have sent them an e-mail and await their reply. I will post their info when I receive it. Flicka.

Most Plumbers use 4" grey soil pipes with push in end caps to store their copper tubing in usually on the roof rack. Couldnt you adapt this to go under the Motor home using the the waste pipe saddle clamps to screw into the floor. Ive seen people store wind breaks in them. Pete

Hi Pete Your ref to the Pipe is what I intend to use (6") for my Fishing Rods & Landing Net Pole, etc. but attached to my Bike Rack. Good idea to see if I can get the pipe under the Van, I like that it keeps more of the weight low & central. My problem is the nets, which are approx 20" square x max 6" deep. The space behind the opleaseide rear wheel on the Bessacarr is 36" x almost 20" and the sill depth is 10", so size wise, this would be an ideal locationif I can find some form of cargo net. Road spray from the wheel is not a problem as the nets will be in a PVC holdall. Still no answer from the web address in my earlier post. Flicka

Archived