Unwanted Microsoft PC update

crob

For the last 2-3 weeks, I have been getting a Microsoft update notification. When I have looked at this update, I don't want to download it onto my PC.

What is now happening is that when I use the "Turn off Computer" button on the Start menu it automatically defaults so that if I then use the next "Turn off Computer" button on the final screen this update will be automatically downloaded and installed on my PC! I have to click a small message box to turn off my PC without the update.

Does anyone know of any way of getting rid of this Microsoft update?

Colin Robinson. (?)

Guest starspirit

Gee whiz Michele - I'm impressed!

I knew what to do but I had to do it first before I could have written about it!

it's called Hubby sitting in front of me who happens to get half of the Met Police force out of Crap with there wifes

when looking at things their wifes don't like.... Keep your eye's on me mucky pup....jobbie..

Actually he also builds them and repairs them hobby .

I've yet to see one catch my husband out yet even when they are a pain in the glutumous maximus never lost one yet but hates Time he will never touch one of them again .....

Back off to my private room see you all soon..

hope you are all well...... :D

You have not said which update you don't wish to install, if it is 'windows genuine advantage' this does not normaly install at shutdown as it is not a 'critical' update, but the others that need to be installed are critical, at the moment there are 4 critical updates that have been released on the montly scheduale plus there has been an out of sequence update, not instaling these will leave a computer vulnerable to attack, it is predicted these attacks will be at a high this weekend.

It's worth avoiding the "Windows Genuine" one like the plague if you happen to know that your copy of Windows is of doubtful parentage.

I'm told (by knowledgeable son) that it not only DETECTS whether your copy of Windows is genuine, it also shuts you down if it isn't - but not before taking you to the Windows website where you can (ie MUST) buy a genuine copy at the very prices which persuaded you to pick one up off the back of a lorry in the first place.

Not that I'd know any of this personally, of course ...

Tony

Mel B - 2007-04-15 6:41 PM

Hey Tony - what you doing skyving off work today then!!!(lol) You're as bad as Dave Newell during the week!:D

I'm sooooo glad we get our software legitimately free from work! 8-)

Oi you, I'll have you know I've worked seven days this week! Even God (for those that believe such an entity exists) took Sunday off. For the rest of this month I've only got one free day with no work booked in, ain't life grand?

D.

Hey, even WE don't have to work ALL day Sunday. On a lovely day like this we have to have some time to sit in the garden with a drink.

By the way (completely off thread) have you noticed that Pastis suddenly tastes better when the sun shines? Can't stand the stuff in winter!

Tony

Archived