Up the creek without a .... canoe!

Mel B

Bah-humbug ... one of our inflatable canoes is coming apart at the stern and bow - the two side air chambers are trying to go their own ways! Gotta get some glue to re-stick them before they part company completely and before we go on holiday.

Anyone any suggestions as to what to use and the best way to do it?

Guest Tracker

Depends what it is made of Mel?

If it is plastic not a lot will work except maybe a patch made from similar material and stuck with suitable adhesive - Evostick clear used to work.

If it is Hypalon or material similar to wot proper inflatable boats is made of then any chandlers will sell repair kits containing the right adhesives and material. You might even be able to buy the material by the meter and the adhesive by the tin?

Be aware that the wrong adhesive will either simply not stick - or worse, give way in use - or in extreme cases melt or distort what it is stuck to thus causing even more aggro. and leaks!

Have fun and don't put too much weight in it next time - ha ha ha!

Ha ha, the comedians are out tonight!!! (lol)

Richard - its a Gumotex Junior made from Hypalon so a good quality material (not a plastic paddling pool type). Below is a picture of what it looks like, the bit I've circled is where it's splitting apart the wide flat seam at the front and the rear. It's not completely apart but it is sufficiently so to make it unusable.

There's also a photo of me in Holland on my 'maiden' voyage with mine to give you in idea of the 'size' of them. These are ideal for our needs and they only weigh around 9kg packed away, are nice and small and quick to set-up and pack away.

893351659_GumotexJunior.jpg.7188b7d9d69d5ff5c8a12f61c1ca4783.jpg

640825471_Meinmycanoe.jpg.1433082dff61365cc921fc3f176a6598.jpg

Mel I used to have a 'Seyvlor' sailing dingy (think that's how it is spelt). It was made to take a small outboard motor and was pretty tough plastic type stuff. However, after many years use it got a leak just below the water mark. i patched it up with material supplied in a kit that came with the dinghy and it lasted me for another 4-5 years. I am sure that there will be plenty of chandlers that will have repair kits that will do the job, try the internet.

Archived