Useless Christmas presents.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Guest Frank Wilkinson

I can't resist passing this on. One of my daughter's friends lives in a flat in London. As usual he comes 'oop north' for Christmas to see his parents, who are really lovely people. Every year though they manage to buy him a really useless Christmas present.

This year they gave him a collapsible bucket and an ironing board - he doesn't even have an iron! 

The mind boggles - what does a twenty-something lad, living in a London flat, do with a collapsible bucket?

Stop being so negative Frank. A collapsible bucket will be ideal for keeping under the low slung beds they make today, and until he gets a iron then the ironing board will always come in handy for a bit of surfing.

No complaints from me as i,ve had a pretty good Christmas present wise. Apart from the usual socks and underpants etc. I also got a speed camera detector and a sat nav. Four of us travelled the 30 miles and back to my sisters for a Christmas night do and everything worked perfectly with no lack of conversation between the gadgets and us.

The only slight problem I found with the Tom Tom one sat nav was that it was a bit bright at night. Anyone know of a way of turning down the illumination on this model. Howard.

Guest Frank Wilkinson

Howard, it's not handy at present as my daughter's borrowed it to try out and she's off at a party somewhere. However, if memory serves, in the settings menu there is a night mode setting which will dim the screen.

Ta Frank, the cheques in the post. I know its the cheaper of the models but adjustment on the actual unit would have been handy.

I found it a bit bright especially on unlit roads, but the night mode looks about right. First time i,ve used sat nav and i,m quite pleased with it and its easy to use, even for me. My only concern was the small screen size, but with the exellent spoken instructions this doesn,t really matter. More informative and polite than the missus so no excuses for getting lost anymore. Howard.

Thanks Kelly. I,ve got it sorted now and its just right for both day and night use. I should think most people out there drive Fiat/Peugot vans and i,ve found the raising lid and clip on top of the dash for holding paperwork ideal for storing other items as well.

I cut a square of quarter inch ply which clips on to the lid with a strip of foam glued underneath either side to take up the curve and stop vibration. On top of this i,ve stuck a plastic tray for keeping sunglasses, loose change etc. with a cradle attached for holding the phone. This means everything is to hand, and doesn,t take two seconds to fit and remove and put safely out of sight.

Clipping the sucker on the sat nav in the same way works just as well, with a better viewing position of the screen and no need to wipe away the telltale marks left on the windscreen after removing it. Howard.

Collapsible bucket sounds ideal :-D because I don't travel very well it might come in handy ..........

I haven't had a useless pressie for many years! I make a list of my needs/wants in mid-September, pass it to the In-laws and if they dont' comply >:-(

We got a large bird feeding station - we don't feed them anymore as we're away too often! *-)

A set of cheap cutlery entitled 'for your first home' ... we've been married 25 years. :-S

A box of mini Christmas crackers ... my sister must think we're hard-up this year! *-)

A mirror compact .. I don't wear make-up. :$

But the absolutely daftest presents, by 3 different people I hasten to add we got 3 diaries for Christmas between us ... totally unnecessary as my husband runs a stationery store!!!! 8-)

Best presents: for my husband - a beer glass (plastic?) that lights up, very pretty, especially with the bottle of malt whiskey that came with it. :D

For me, the best pressie was a pair of pyjamas, sort sleeved, just right for holidays. (lol) B-)

Archived