Vaccines,anyone..?

pepe63xnotuse

Just curious if anyone has had or are near to having, their vaccine?

My OH (NHS clinician) got called into one of our local-ish hospitals yesterday for her's (Pfizer)

(a littel bit shambolic by all accounts, with a 1 1/2 hr queue/wait standing outside in the carpark, not good when they had been called in, and with specific appointment times).

But at least the first one is done (and second one booked).

Well done to all... :-D

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vaccine delivery seems to be patchy. We live in East Suffolk where our small town is one of three being served by one vaccination centre for all, located in a branch surgery operated by one GP practice. Not entirely clear what’s happening but vaccination only started there recently and it looks like they are doing over 80s from their own practice only to start with - and none at all from ours or other towns yet. We’re told that vaccination of our over 80s will start “within the next four weeks”.

So it looks like the efforts of one GP practice for five or more is all we’re getting and they may not have been getting much in the way of vaccine supplies so far. The nearest hospitals are about 30 miles away. It looks like we’re in a hole in the NHS.

StuartO - 2021-01-19 11:33 AM

Not entirely clear what’s happening but vaccination only started there recently and it looks like they are doing over 80s from their own practice only to start with - and none at all from ours or other towns yet.

The GP Practice that was " chosen " to do the jabs around here ( midlands ) covers quite a large area - not just their own - so yours may not only be treating their own patients.

It may be that supplies depend on how far the vaccine centres are from the distribution 'warehouses' ?

:-|

My good lady, who is medically classed as highly vulnerable / group four, has been given the option of going up to Newcastle this week or waiting for a call from the local vaccine hub. If she goes to Newcastle she'll have to go back for the second jab in three months, so after speaking to her GP who has hinted that it will be available for her at the local hub within a week, we've decided to stay local.

pepe63 - 2021-01-19 10:27 AM

According to this; https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk I should receive my first jab within the first two weeks of February. I will see.

A family relative has had both doses, the final being on New Years day. But she is over 80 and was offered it when attending hospital as an outpatient for eye treatment.

Bulletguy - 2021-01-19 1:54 PM

According to this; https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/vaccine-queue-uk I should receive my first jab within the first two weeks of February. I will see.

BBC radio news tonight ( an NHS official ) says that second appointments, in twelve weeks time,

will be made automatically by " the system".

My concern is that Boris Johnson may further delay, or cancel, the second jabs.

:-(

My OH (NHS clinician) got called into one of our local-ish hospitals yesterday for her's (Pfizer)

(a littel bit shambolic by all accounts, with a 1 1/2 hr queue/wait standing outside in the carpark, not good when they had been called in, and with specific appointment times).

But at least the first one is done (and second one booked).

Well done to all... :-D

Yes over 70s from Monday 18th mine on Saturday 23rd well chuffed and it's the Oxford one. B-)

jumpstart - 2021-01-19 1:32 PM

Somerset Live: Vaccine supplies at GP surgery capped by CCG after thousands immunised.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/vaccine-supplies-gp-surgery-capped-4899903

Why?

There was something similar the other day in the news. I hope its not a political decision. If an area is doing well then they should not be penalised because other areas are lagging behind as long as there is enough vaccine. Thats just crackers. There is always going to be a bit of a postcode lottery but everywhere should just go as fast as they can. No need to put the brakes on surely just because you are storming ahead.

malc d - 2021-01-19 5:40 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-01-19 1:54 PM

BBC radio news tonight ( an NHS official ) says that second appointments, in twelve weeks time,

will be made automatically by " the system".

My concern is that Boris Johnson may further delay, or cancel, the second jabs.

:-(

Seeing as they can't even get fish through the ports they'd better start flying the vaccines in.

HarveyHeaven - 2021-01-21 10:15 AM

No sign yet, though in Shropshire they are well under way with the over 70s. I'm in group 4 being 72 so looking forward to receiving an invite in the next week or two!!

Don't get TOO excited about having the jab / jabs - they don't give anyone a free pass to go back to normal.

Caution is still required - as those who have had the jab can still spread it.

But - it's progress !

;-)

jumpstart - 2021-01-21 1:55 PM

Not just caution... lockdown still applies.

Also the jabs don't stop you getting covid ,just make you more able to survive it without going to hospital.

The effectiveness is pretty high though. This was taken from an email I had from Parmacy2U.

[How effective are the vaccines?

The results show both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine to be up to 95% effective against coronavirus and the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine to be 70% effective overall. The studies also showed a strong immune response in older people for the Oxford vaccine.

Bulletguy - 2021-01-21 2:43 PM

Also the jabs don't stop you getting covid ,just make you more able to survive it without going to hospital.

The effectiveness is pretty high though. This was taken from an email I had from Parmacy2U.

[How effective are the vaccines?

The results show both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine to be up to 95% effective against coronavirus and the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine to be 70% effective overall. The studies also showed a strong immune response in older people for the Oxford vaccine.

I'd rather rely on the information that the manufacturers of the vaccines give, and the doctors who adminster them give.

Everyone else seems to give a ' political ' opinion.

Barryd999 - 2021-01-21 6:19 PM

This is not good news from Israel.

https://tinyurl.com/y4tx39wn

The government has also taken the gamble to ignore the strict instructions from the vaccine manufacturers to have the jabs three weeks apart. This might be a gamble that pays off or it could prove disastrous. It is however a gamble and a worry if that news from Israel is true.

There was a statement from Covid scientists who looked at this and were happy that the Israeli statement was more an anolomy.

malc d - 2021-01-21 6:09 PM

Bulletguy - 2021-01-21 2:43 PM

How effective are the vaccines?

I'd rather rely on the information that the manufacturers of the vaccines give, and the doctors who adminster them give.

Everyone else seems to give a ' political ' opinion.

It's from Pharmacy2U Malc which is contracted to NHS. Possibly UK's largest dispensary of medication so aren't likely to post misleading info. This is it in full;;

There have now been three COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in the UK, the Pfizer vaccine, the Oxford University/AstraZeneca vaccine and the Moderna vaccine. All vaccines have been authorised by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) after meeting strict standards of safety, quality and effectiveness against coronavirus. We have put together a guide to explain in more detail about each of the vaccines.

How effective are the vaccines?

How are the vaccines given?

All three vaccines require patients to receive two doses by an injection given in the upper arm muscle. The second dose for the Pfizer vaccine was originally suggested to be given three weeks after the first dose, however has now been changed to up to 12 weeks. This is because the Government is prioritising giving the first dose to as many ‘at risk’ people as possible because having the first vaccine alone does provide some protection against coronavirus. The Oxford University vaccine’s second dose is given 12 weeks after the first and the Moderna vaccine is recommended to have the second dose 28 days after the first vaccine.

Why should I get the vaccine?

COVID-19 can have serious, life threatening complications and there is no way to know how you would be affected if you caught coronavirus. The vaccine is very likely to prevent you from getting COVID-19 symptoms if you are exposed to the virus, and even if you do catch the virus and display symptoms, the vaccine is extremely likely to stop them being so bad that you require a trip to hospital.

How will the vaccines be rolled out?

The Government has been advised to prioritise those most at risk of catching coronavirus and suffering serious complications, to be vaccinated first. Below lists the eligible groups for the vaccination starting with the highest priority.

Older adults resident in care homes and care home workers

All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health and social care workers

All those 75 years of age and over

All those 70 years of age and over and those who were classed clinically extremely vulnerable

All those 65 years of age and over

People between 16-64 years of age with underlying health conditions that put them at higher risk (see conditions here)

All those 60 years of age and over

All those 55 years of age and over

All those 50 years of age and over

How can I get a vaccine?

The NHS will contact you and invite you to book an appointment when it is your turn to have the vaccine. it is important not to contact the NHS for a vaccination before then.

Archived