Van Stickers

Don Madge

I,ve nothing against van stickers Don, though i,m not one myself, but they can be humerous or interesting when passing the time stuck in a traffic jam or what have you.

The only time i,ve used them is to cover minor bumps or scratches, and following this theme, after putting a hole through the bodywork of a previous coachbuilt, which had a dippled effect body panel, the only way to hide the repair was to attach a vent cover over the damaged area.

Most vans have three or four of these vents in various places, and even the salesman failed to notice this extra one when we part exchanged.

Perhaps others with a similar problem might consider this, if only to avoid costly and time consuming repairs.

Howard.

howardtcz - 2007-01-08 10:48 AM

I,ve nothing against van stickers Don, though i,m not one myself, but they can be humerous or interesting when passing the time stuck in a traffic jam or what have you.

The only time i,ve used them is to cover minor bumps or scratches, and following this theme, after putting a hole through the bodywork of a previous coachbuilt, which had a dippled effect body panel, the only way to hide the repair was to attach a vent cover over the damaged area.

Most vans have three or four of these vents in various places, and even the salesman failed to notice this extra one when we part exchanged.

Perhaps others with a similar problem might consider this, if only to avoid costly and time consuming repairs.

Howard.

Howard,

We used a vent cover to hide a large dent in a Laika we collected from one of our expeditions to Morocco.

These stickers must surly reflect the re sale value of a motorhome. I've seen some vans with the rear end almost covered in stickers.

Don

Another point to consider Don is when you see these vans on the forecourt with stickers showing all the places and countrys its visited. I don,t know about you, but I would prefer to go for something with a little less obvious use.

There,s also the problem when you come to remove them. Some peel off easily, but in most cases you have to take time and care, plenty of white spirit to remove the remaining glue, and then t cut the panel back to get a even colour. Not for me i,m afraid.

Howard.

We agree that getting stickers off is a nightmare which is why we don't stick them on.

The worst stickers to remove are those which have to stick to the windscreen. Austrian & Swiss motorway ones are awful. That may be why you see several years worth stuck on cars and vans.

If you are travelling through Switzerland, Austrian, Hungary and Czech Republic it'll be a wonder if you see out at all ;-)

Hello Net-traveller,

I know exactly what you mean and add to the list the ferry stickers as well.

To make them easier to remove use a window rain repellant like Rainex. This will put a smooth coating on the glass. We also carry Sticky Stuff Remover which I think you can get from Clean-eze and Betterware.

Put me in the "Hate Stickers" group.

Regards,

Mike.

When we bought our van it had a few rust spot on it, so we sent it to body shop for a complete overall when we got it back on the hi-top he had put on the front & sides + back fanfare camper in huge letters & on the sides he had put what looks like engine gaskets picturs set at a angle (dont look as bad as it sounds though)When I asked him about them he said he had trawled the web to get them.Ii wanted them off but Maggie said they might damage the new respray so we left them alone 

I have web site URLs on the rear of my 'Van'. I build the sites, charge the customer for the advertising . The URLs are shown all over the UK and Europe so everyones happy.

Dave

Guest starspirit
A dummy fridge vent or other plastic vent cover works well for dent covering. Even going as far as one each side on an overcab side dented on one side only matched up quite well!

Baby on Board stickers can be time consuming following an accident. A friend of mine was in the Fire service in the late 70s when these stickers became popular. He spent an hour searching for a baby which might have been thrown from a vehicle after a bad RTA. It turns out that said baby was safely at home.

I noted in a Broadsheet recently that the Ambulance service now are asking parents not to put these stickers in cars - again due to time used searching for possible thrown-out-of-vehicle young person.

I used to collect fabric badges from our trips round the UK and sewed them into an Army blanket. The blanket eventually fell apart so badges went to the Charity shop.

We stayed at a site in France last summer for two nights. Before I could stop her the English owner had rushed out from the office to slap a large site sticker on the windscreen. It took ages to remove and the site wasn't very good either!

Empress

I wouldn't buy a van that had lots of stickers all over the back including black bulls and windmills, but annoyingly ours had the faint outline of a sticker "cobwebs too" on the front of the fibreglass hitop that we didn't notice until we got it home and it only really shows when it's been polished which isn't too often B-)

That reminds me I must remove the dealer's sticker from the back window one day!

I haven't seen any "Showdogs in transit" ones recently - so what ? is my reaction :-S

Steve

it only really shows when it's been polished which isn't too often B-)

so - that's all right then,

That reminds me I must remove the dealer's sticker from the back window one day!  :-S Steve 

now they're the worst, I do object to advertising for free. If I choose to put stickers on the van that that is up to me, but - .......

twooks - 2007-01-15 4:44 PM

I do object to advertising for free. If I choose to put stickers on the van that that is up to me, but - .......

Hi Twooks. That reminds me of an argument I had in a local food store where they tried to charge me 10p for one of their plastic carrier bags. I had it for free eventually, and there was no way I was going to pay for the privilege of walking round town advertising on their behalf.

Archived