Vehicle accidents in EU countries

Bulletguy

The latest from UK Gov. I guess a Brexiteer will be along shortly to say they knew they were voting this.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit

Bulletguy - 2019-02-08 7:41 PM

The latest from UK Gov. I guess a Brexiteer will be along shortly to say they knew they were voting this.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, UK residents involved in a road traffic accident in an EU or EEA country should not expect to be able to make a claim in respect of that accident via a UK-based Claims Representative or the UK Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB).

Instead, UK residents involved in a road accident may need to bring a claim against either the driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA country where the accident happened. This may involve bringing the claim in the local language.

In the event of an accident in an EU or EEA country caused by an uninsured or an untraced driver, UK residents may not receive compensation if there is no EU Exit deal. This will vary from country to country.

After 29 March 2019, you may need to bring legal proceedings against either the responsible driver or the insurer of the vehicle in the EU or EEA instead. If you need more information about this, you should seek legal advice.

Hopefully, if they sell you insurance to cover you in Europe you can sue them if they fail to do so!!

This is all such a nightmare and all sooooo completely unnecessary...all we need to do is REMAIN in the EU then everyone except the racist bigots will be happy.

HarveyHeaven - 2019-02-09 8:31 AM

Hopefully, if they sell you insurance to cover you in Europe you can sue them if they fail to do so!!

This is all such a nightmare and all sooooo completely unnecessary...all we need to do is REMAIN in the EU then everyone except the racist bigots will be happy.

I somehow doubt that, as I imagine the insurer may claim that they were unable to foresee the Brexit outcome at the time they entered into a contract with the insured. I'm no lawyer, but "force majeur" comes to mind. Where that might leave the insured I know not, but would imagine they may remain liable for third party loss, but the insured may no longer be able to claim for damage to their own property. Possibly someone with greater knowledge could comment?

Make more sense wouldn't it but sense flew out the window almost three years ago hence the unholy mess we're now in.

Brian Kirby - 2019-02-09 12:53 PM

I somehow doubt that, as I imagine the insurer may claim that they were unable to foresee the Brexit outcome at the time they entered into a contract with the insured. I'm no lawyer, but "force majeur" comes to mind. Where that might leave the insured I know not, but would imagine they may remain liable for third party loss, but the insured may no longer be able to claim for damage to their own property. Possibly someone with greater knowledge could comment?

Certainly anyone due to insure over the coming weeks needs to establish clarity on this with their insurer and make sure whatever they're told, it's in writing.....not just accept whatever they're told over the phone. Either way if the uk gov site 'info' is anything to go by, it's not looking good.

Violet1956 - 2019-02-09 3:38 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-09 1:19 PM

Best all you Remoaners stay in the UK after the 29th of March then ;-) ...........

Best you learn to speak and write fluent Spanish p'raps Dave just in case ;-)

They won't speak Spanish in any of the pubs and cafes he dwells. (lol)

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2019-02-09 3:38 PM

pelmetman - 2019-02-09 1:19 PM

Best all you Remoaners stay in the UK after the 29th of March then ;-) ...........

Best you learn to speak and write fluent Spanish p'raps Dave just in case ;-)

I don't ;-) ...........But I know a man who does :D ...........

Archived