Ventilators..."no use whatsoever" for Covid patients

Bulletguy

Ventilator standards set out for UK makers ‘of no use’ to Covid patients

Ministers’ challenge to manufacturers sets basic specifications that are not suitable to task, say experts

The minimum specification for the UK’s homegrown hospital ventilator programme will not produce machines suitable for treating coronavirus patients, the head of the largest organisation for critical care medical professionals has said.

Alison Pittard, the dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the professional body for intensive care practitioners, said the government’s request for ventilators that would — at a minimum — stabilise patients “for a few hours” was not in line with what was requested by medical experts last month.

Dr Pittard, who was among a group of medical experts who advised on minimum specifications for ventilators in early March, said the professionals had asked for devices that would work for the duration of a Covid-19 patient’s stay in intensive care.

“If we had been told that that was the case, that the ventilators were only to treat a patient for a few hours. we’d have said: ‘Don’t bother, you’re wasting your time. That’s of no use whatsoever’,” she said. 

Her comments follow criticism of the government’s procurement of ventilators, which assist patients with the respiratory difficulties that occur in severe cases of Covid-19. 

https://www.ft.com/content/365529f8-bff3-41d2-949f-d0eedff0cfbb

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-15 8:01 PM

Ministers’ challenge to manufacturers sets basic specifications that are not suitable to task, say experts

The minimum specification for the UK’s homegrown hospital ventilator programme will not produce machines suitable for treating coronavirus patients, the head of the largest organisation for critical care medical professionals has said.

Alison Pittard, the dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the professional body for intensive care practitioners, said the government’s request for ventilators that would — at a minimum — stabilise patients “for a few hours” was not in line with what was requested by medical experts last month.

Dr Pittard, who was among a group of medical experts who advised on minimum specifications for ventilators in early March, said the professionals had asked for devices that would work for the duration of a Covid-19 patient’s stay in intensive care.

“If we had been told that that was the case, that the ventilators were only to treat a patient for a few hours. we’d have said: ‘Don’t bother, you’re wasting your time. That’s of no use whatsoever’,” she said. 

Her comments follow criticism of the government’s procurement of ventilators, which assist patients with the respiratory difficulties that occur in severe cases of Covid-19. 

It's just as well pandemic appears to be leveling out ;-) ...........

What are you Loser's gonna bitch about when it's over? *-) ..........

Just askin :D .......

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 9:04 AM

You haven't addressed the points raised in the article and if silly tweet like one liners with your usual smattering of emoticons is the best you can come up with, ever likely the proposed ventilator programme has become such an embarrassing fiasco which Johnson once suggested calling Operation Last Gasp. Of course that crass comment was prior to his admittance into hospital which i'd hope would remind him to take matters more seriously and cease behaving like an idiot, but somehow i doubt that.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 1:43 PM

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 9:04 AM

You haven't addressed the points raised in the article and if silly tweet like one liners with your usual smattering of emoticons is the best you can come up with, ever likely the proposed ventilator programme has become such an embarrassing fiasco which Johnson once suggested calling Operation Last Gasp. Of course that crass comment was prior to his admittance into hospital which i'd hope would remind him to take matters more seriously and cease behaving like an idiot, but somehow i doubt that.

That's your problem Bullet ;-) .......

Your hatred is driving your typing finger :D .......

Best step back from the computer and take a rest :-| .......

I recall years ago we got on quite well.......

Just sayin

jumpstart - 2020-04-16 4:59 PM

There’s lots of ventilators in the Nightingale hospital,but hardly any patients transferred to it.

Mmmm ... Und sumat sits uncomfortable with me that the hate squad on here would like The Nightingale to be full to bursting so they could have some liccle anti-Tory dig ... Must be annoying for em ... Hate on

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-04-16 5:08 PM

There’s lots of ventilators in the Nightingale hospital,but hardly any patients transferred to it.

Mmmm ... Und sumat sits uncomfortable with me that the hate squad on here would like The Nightingale to be full to bursting so they could have some liccle anti-Tory dig ... Must be annoying for em ... Hate on

I get the feeling another 3 weeks of lockdown will sort the wheat from the chaff ;-) ........

Bullet wont notice :D ......

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 5:34 PM

I get the feeling another 3 weeks of lockdown will sort the wheat from the chaff ;-) ........

Ye lets be fair old BG is on permanent isolation ... Lordy we don't half have some haters on here ... Bet you have missed correcting this lot ???

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-04-16 5:38 PM

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 5:34 PM

Ye lets be fair old BG is on permanent isolation ... Lordy we don't half have some haters on here ... Bet you have missed correcting this lot ???

It made me realize how lucky I am :D ........

One anaesthetist in London said there was a feeling among senior clinicians that the Nightingale was “a political exercise and of little practical use. What we want to know is how many gowns, how many ventilators, how many everything, are sitting unused at NHS Nightingale?”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nightingale-hospital-nhs-intensive-care-london-latest-a9465901.html

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 5:55 PM

One anaesthetist in London said there was a feeling among senior clinicians that the Nightingale was “a political exercise and of little practical use. What we want to know is how many gowns, how many ventilators, how many everything, are sitting unused at NHS Nightingale?”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-nightingale-hospital-nhs-intensive-care-london-latest-a9465901.html

It didn't take long for the haters to say it was a waste of money *-) .......

Carry on Losers (lol) .......

"One anaesthetist" ... Lordy ... Thats all it takes

Guest pelmetman
Birdbrain - 2020-04-16 5:58 PM

"One anaesthetist" ... Lordy ... Thats all it takes

That's all a haters mind needs 8-) ........

The BBC & the Guardian thrives from them :-| .......

Usual bulls**t from you...it’s to relieve the pressure on the other hospitals that are swamped. I think it may be due to lack of staff. But what would you know ,you have no sympathy for the NHS.

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 5:58 PM

Explain how and why senior clinicians and doctors are 'haters'?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 6:15 PM

Blimey you're hard work Bullet :-> .......

You really do need to take a few weeks off ;-) ......

It did wonders for me B-) .......

One anaesthetist in London said there was a feeling among senior clinicians that the Nightingale was]“a political exercise and of little practical use.What we want to know is how many gowns, how many ventilators, how many everything, are sitting unused at NHS Nightingale?”[/i]

If the goverment had delayed building the Nightingales and we had really needed them to save many lives you would be the first of many armchair whingers to mouth off about how callous and uncaring the Tory government is.

pelmetman - 2020-04-16 6:20 PM

Blimey you're hard work Bullet :-> .......

As i thought....you have no explanation so were just making throw-away snipes at professionals opinions you don't like.

jumpstart - 2020-04-16 6:12 PM

Usual bulls**t from you...it’s to relieve the pressure on the other hospitals that are swamped. I think it may be due to lack of staff. But what would you know ,you have no sympathy for the NHS.

That swamped its empty ... Bit like your head ... "no sympathy for the NHS" ??? Silly boy/girl

Tracker - 2020-04-16 6:28 PM

One anaesthetist in London said there was a feeling among senior clinicians that the Nightingale was]“a political exercise and of little practical use.What we want to know is how many gowns, how many ventilators, how many everything, are sitting unused at NHS Nightingale?”[/i]

If the goverment had delayed building the Nightingales and we had really needed them to save many lives you would be the first of many armchair whingers to mouth off about how callous and uncaring the Tory government is.

It's what professionals said Richard, not me. Clinicians and doctors. Thats what they stated in the article i linked.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 6:38 PM

It's what professionals said Richard, not me. Clinicians and doctors. Thats what they stated in the article i linked.

Selective quoting again - it's what some doctors are saying -- whether it is a majority or a minority we do not know - and no doubt if I were so inclined I could fish around and find opposing views.

So much negativitity when so many people are working so hard to make a differnce when all people like you you do is sit and criticise from behind the safety of your own home keyboard.

Once again your one sided argument does not convince me.

There are varying levels of breathing problems with Covid-19 so it is not necessary to have high tech ventilators if the lower spec. ones are capable of sustaining milder breathing problems it's just a waste to insist on the high tech units. The problem with some medical professionals they want only the all singing and dancing equipment even if it is not a real requirement and some like a few on here just like to complain.

Tracker - 2020-04-16 6:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-04-16 6:38 PM

1) Selective quoting again - it's what some doctors are saying -- whether it is a majority or a minority we do not know - and no doubt if I were so inclined I could fish around and find opposing views.

2) So much negativitity when so many people are working so hard to make a differnce when all people like you you do is sit and criticise from behind the safety of your own home keyboard.

Once again your one sided argument does not convince me.

1) Hmm.....Dr Alison Pittard, Dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the professional body for intensive care practitioners made the statement i linked. Find a comparable professional at the same level with an opposing opinion or view and you may have a point. But despite 'fishing around' on google i cannot find anyone. The media source is also respectable, not the usual DM or Express tripe, so i'm inclined to believe whats she says is factual. She certainly knows more about medical equipment than any of us, that's for sure!

2) You seem to have missed the point. We rely on medical professionals such as Dr Pittard to bring the shortcomings of government to public attention. That's not negativity....it's actually positivity because left to government they'd sweep any awkward issues under the carpet. Government set basic specifications for manufacturers that were not suitable to task.In other words, making a 'ventilator' that was unfit for purpose. Why did they do this when medical professionals had asked them for devices that would work for the duration of a Covid-19 patient’s stay in intensive care? Cost? Corner cutting? I don't know, but they foolishly ignored the criteria professionals had asked for.

Do we trust the likes of Dr Pittard and trained medical professionals when it comes to saving lives.....or do we put our trust in government? I know one or two want to go with the latter but i put my faith in the medical professionals and the NHS long ago when it comes to my life.

Irrespective of which party is in power, government have to be held to account and Torykipper voters have to get used to this. They do not get carte blanche to do what the heck they like without question. They got the party they wanted, now they have to answer for any failings (and the above quoted is just one example) because we will continue to scrutinize and criticise the failings. I think Keir Starmer made a good point on that by saying 'scrutiny is important....because if scrutiny points out mistakes, which can then be put right, it's achieved a very important point'. So 'asking those difficult questions does matter'.

Archived