Victory over Sky

Syd

Returned from a break in Spain to find that every so often the Sky picture would freeze as if placed on pause.

Phoned Sky to report the fault and was told that the fault probably would be in the Sky decoder, we have had it eight years.

They said they would send an engineer round but that would cost me £50 (I think they said) plus I would have to pay for a new decoder if ours was kaput

"No I wont, you supplied the decoder so that I can acess and pay for the service that you provide and if that equipment is now kaput then in order for me to acess your provision you will have to replace it or I wont be able to purchase your provision will I"

"But Sir your decoder is eight years old and we only offer you a one year guarantee so you will have to pay for the replacement"

"Would you kindly put me through to your manager"

"Whats the point he will only tell you the same as I am telling you"

"Manager please"

Manager came on and started off with the same line as the first person until I explained to him that with Virgin I wouldnt have to pay anything and unless they came and fixed or replaced the decoder FOC quiet quickly then I would take my £52 per month to Virgin immediately.

After a few seconds he came back with

"I have just checked your payment record and you have a excellent record so I will authorise your problem to be resolved FOC and the engineer will call on Wednesday between 12 noon and 5pm"

"Thank you very much I will see the engineer on Wednesday then, have a nice evening"

Sky and Virgin are sworn enimies and will do anything to poach each others customers, a point worth remembering when dealing with either of them

Sky do provide a excellent service Sid, but as you you say, they don't miss a trick when it comes to squeezing the last drop out of their customers. I,ve found in the past that the threat of cancelling your subscrition when in dispute always gets the right result, and its worth anyone with any sort of problem to use the same approach.

Patricia - 2008-06-17 8:03 AM

Syd I am interested in your fault as I am experiencing the same problem after returning from France.

I took my card with me so it was used in another Sky box for a few weeks. Did you take your's with you I wonder?

Hi Patricia

We took our sky box that we have as a second unit upstairs for Lee, this is on its own card, the original one that we have downstairs is the one that is playing up.

That's not the cause of the problem then. I only wondered because on another post someone was quite convinced that if you used your card in another box it would stop working after about six weeks.

My problem seems to be only when I record a programme to disc. I suppose the disc could be corrupted then.

Syd - 2008-06-16 11:42 PM

Returned from a break in Spain to find that every so often the Sky picture would freeze as if placed on pause.

Phoned Sky to report the fault and was told that the fault probably would be in the Sky decoder, we have had it eight years.

They said they would send an engineer round but that would cost me £50 (I think they said) plus I would have to pay for a new decoder if ours was kaput

"No I wont, you supplied the decoder so that I can acess and pay for the service that you provide and if that equipment is now kaput then in order for me to acess your provision you will have to replace it or I wont be able to purchase your provision will I"

"But Sir your decoder is eight years old and we only offer you a one year guarantee so you will have to pay for the replacement"

"Would you kindly put me through to your manager"

"Whats the point he will only tell you the same as I am telling you"

"Manager please"

Manager came on and started off with the same line as the first person until I explained to him that with Virgin I wouldnt have to pay anything and unless they came and fixed or replaced the decoder FOC quiet quickly then I would take my £52 per month to Virgin immediately.

After a few seconds he came back with

"I have just checked your payment record and you have a excellent record so I will authorise your problem to be resolved FOC and the engineer will call on Wednesday between 12 noon and 5pm"

"Thank you very much I will see the engineer on Wednesday then, have a nice evening"

Sky and Virgin are sworn enimies and will do anything to poach each others customers, a point worth remembering when dealing with either of them

i've had the same problem twice now in 2 years first time they replasced decoder 2nd time they gave me a complete system decoder & dish. just tell them you want to cancel if they then offer engineer free tell them no you want a new system worked for me

Archived