WIFI problem - any one any ideas please?

Mel B

Okay, my hubby, who is quite adept with computers, building them, repairing them etc, but is just about to blow his stack. Why? Well, he's set up a new WIFI router on our main PC (we have broadband), he's now trying to get it to connect to our laptop but not a chance!

Originally the laptop had Millenium on and it worked fine, picking up the WIFI connection and allowing him to surf the 'net, but as he couldn't get a virus scanner to go with it and a lot of the programmes were a bit iffy, he upgraded it to XP.

The laptop it is working fine on it's own, however, when he tries to get it to connect to the internet it give the error message "server not found". The laptop adaptor gives a connection to the router with good signal strength and we are getting a WIFI connection from the router to the laptop but it won't allow us to actually get into the internet for a surf. He has disabled the firewall, virus scanner, and there are no security settings on the router and it still won't let him through, it's just blocking it.

He's tried setting the router back to the manufacturer's default to make sure he hadn't altered anything he shouldn't but no joy at all.

We also have WIFI Radar installed which works fine, picks up the router but again won't make a proper connection through.

The question is, is there anything he needs to reset/alter etc now that he's upgraded to XP?

HELP!!!!! :-(

Hi Mel,

I had a bit of a palaver trying to get my wireless router working. I spent hours and nearly threw it out the window. I phoned Telewest and they told me to re-boot the cable modem and that did the trick. It may not work for you but it's worth a try.

John

could try checking that 'the channels' are set correctly - sorry haven't a clue what it means - but I had a similar problem when next door went broadband - apparently there are several channel settings and if you change them - [should both be the same for you obviouly] you reduce the interference and your wifi on the laptop can tune in without a problem to your router

*-) *-) 8-) 8-)

B-)

a friends 18 year old daughter sorted mine out :D :D :D

In frustration, and with nothing to loose, hubby has now installed Windows 2000 as a clean copy instead of the XP upgrade from ME that he had originally done. He can now get internet!!!!!! He's now being told by it that he has a "802.1 protocol" or summut which wasn't there before. It looks like the problem was due to upgrading from Millenium to XP.

He's now contemplating upgrading from Windows 2000 to XP to see if that sorts it ... watch this space! 8-)

Our problem was the Norton antivirus we had installed.

As soon as we de-installed that on the advice of BT we were up and running in minutes.

Now use McAfee with no problems.

BT Homehub is pretty naff compared to other providers.

Certainly do not believe what BT says about speed!

And at the monthly rate they charge us (at the moment!) - they are seriously "having a laugh"!

From our experience - do not bother with the BT Homehub - it is naff. We are on our second router as the first overheated and the second is not much better. The phone keeps disconecting itself and the speed is very poor.

As i say - go elswhere. we are about to.

:-(

Just found out what hubby's been up to whilst waiting for the XP install to be completed on the laptop .. he's been looking at one of the shopping channels on the telly and bought some sonic toothbrushes! 8-)

He's addicted!!!! :D

Anyone know a cure? *-)

Archived