WOULD YOU

howie

Let your son/daughter 'borrow' your motorhome for a week or two. Thats what one of my daughters has asked for ( in a very roundabout and sweet way ) and my reply was a resounding straightforward no.

Pressure is now being applied slowly, and while my son in law is quite capable (HGV) of looking after and driving the van I just can't get my head around someone else using my pride and joy.

There,s also a precedence being set here with my son and other daughter no doubt seeing this as a 'test case' for future use of the van, and while I may come out of this as the villain of the piece I still feel i,m justified in refusing this request, I think. :-(

I'm in total agreement with you Howie.

My sister in law has 'enquired' in the past of my hubby if we would let them borrow ours - no way, nada, not a chance!!!!!

A motorhome is much more than just a vehicle, if it was a car I might let a son/daughter borrow it for a day but not a week. But a motorhome ... not a chance! A good few years ago we took my mum out for the day in ours, I'd showed her how to use the toilet and tap but she eventually yelled to me to sort it out for her and I witnessed her nearly pulling the tap off!!!! 8-)

There are way too many things that can happen, quite apart from the possibility of pranging it, it is all too easy for the things within it to get accidentally damaged - such as dints in the furniture, or marks on the furnishings - and you would be the one who would then have to live with that damage. Imagine ... you reluctantly agree to let them borrow it ... it comes back damaged, either minor or major .. then what? You may not be able to use it for your own trip ... not worth thinking about is it!

Stick to your guns chuck - it is your vehicle and you are allowed to 'protect' it!!! 8-)

J9withdogs - 2009-05-15 6:50 PM

Would you be happy with them sleeping in your bed?

I look on my motorhome as my own private boudoir - no-one else is allowed in there (lol)

Really Janine ... not what I've heard! (lol) ;-)

How stick to your guns son *-) my lot might find out!! Its not the driving of the thing its the looking after and knowing how everything works! we let ours use our caravan a couple of times and invariably something got Burned! broke! spilled! No they arent having this it cost too much let them hire one, they wont pay you if they break it.

Mel B - 2009-05-15 6:54 PM

I look on my motorhome as my own private boudoir - no-one else is allowed in there (lol)

Jealousy is not attractive, Mel :D :D

I think Janine missed out one important word, unaccompanied :D

Guest Tracker

When my son asked I reluctantly pointed out that as they have two small children and our van is a two berth it was not possible - phew that was a close one!

J9withdogs - 2009-05-15 7:04 PM

Never mind Janine, there are better looking blokes out there ... with normal names too! (lol)

Tracker - 2009-05-15 7:16 PM

When my son asked I reluctantly pointed out that as they have two small children and our van is a two berth it was not possible - phew that was a close one!

Ours is definitely a 26 ft two double bed two berth.

Mel B - 2009-05-15 7:41 PM

J9withdogs - 2009-05-15 7:04 PM

Never mind Janine, there are better looking blokes out there ... with normal names too! (lol)

I know...Richard is a bit of an abnormal name :D

howie - 2009-05-15 6:33 PM

Let your son/daughter 'borrow' your motorhome for a week or two. Thats what one of my daughters has asked for ( in a very roundabout and sweet way ) and my reply was a resounding straightforward no.

Pressure is now being applied slowly, and while my son in law is quite capable (HGV) of looking after and driving the van I just can't get my head around someone else using my pride and joy.

There,s also a precedence being set here with my son and other daughter no doubt seeing this as a 'test case' for future use of the van, and while I may come out of this as the villain of the piece I still feel i,m justified in refusing this request, I think. :-(

Howie the computer says no. We've even had polite requests from friends of friends. It might seem comudgeonly and ungenerous but IT'S MINE >:-) You could ask when they think they're going away and then make the excuse that you're using it then might save a bit of family squabbling

Poor Howie, I think they are being a bit naughty to put you in that position. It makes you feel horrid if you say no, but as you mentioned, if you do it for one, you have to do it for all of them. Then it will be expected every year. I think you have to stick to your guns, show them this thread with everyone elses thoughts about it, then they will know you are not being mean. :-S

A resounding NO!

Even after consideration of all the facts, I still would not allow someone else to use our pride and joy.

Who is putting the pressure on may I ask?

If I had bought a motorhome with the intention of letting family and friends use it, I would say something to the effect - 'if ever you want to borrow it......' right at the beginning when we purchased it.

To me it's not just the driving side of it, but as we all know our motorhomes are very dear to us, and they cost a serious amount of dosh, many of us have had to make serious cut backs elsewhere to manage it, and they are our little bolt holes where we can be private and get away - I personally would feel violated if some else was using my motorhome - it holds lots of precious memories that you and your partner have shared.

We all know that accidents happen and they are not intentional, but the outcome is the same. I personally wouldn't risk it. As we use our motorhome alot of the time, it would never be available in any ways!

However, with the shoe on the other foot, I can see that maybe due to the credit crunch that maybe a cheap holiday in my parents motorhome would seem very appealing rather than none. But I still think I would know my parents well enough to know, that if they didn't mind us using it, they would have made the offer!.

Howie, stick to your gut reaction - as they are normally the correct decision otherwise you run the risk of opening the flood gates of regret! I'd much rather be the villian of the peace than live with the stress and worry.

No One Janine, ah well that explains a lot LOL

Geof

Howie

You stand your ground on this one, Angie and I have not had any one ask yet but the answer would be a very big NO. The same answer in fact that we gave when we were asked if friends could use our boat (about the same value as the MH).

Geof

Howie ... you know that lovely chair you got as a pressie from your family? Well ... I think they think it's pay back time!!! I told you it was tooooooo good a present at the time! :D

Still say no though!

>:-)

Oh Mel,

What a barbed comment, funny one though hee hee.

No way would I loan out my campervan, no matter who asked to borrow it. When I think of all the sleepless nights I had thinking about what van I wanted and all the days of hard slogging to earn the money to eventually get what I wanted, to me my camper is an extention to my home.

knight of the road - 2009-05-16 5:57 PM

Oh Mel,

What a barbed comment, funny one though hee hee.

It's a good job I know her >:-) :D (lol)

My daughter and her partner have suggested it in a round about sort of way, don't think they will mention it again when I gave them them my answer, in a round about sort of way :->

It took a long time to be able to afford my first van and now that I have my Kon Tiki, my pride and joy, there is no way it gets loaned out >:-(

Guest Tracker
J9withdogs - 2009-05-16 9:13 AM

I know...Richard is a bit of an abnormal name :D

Thanks sweetie - you do say the nicest things - and I do realise that it's not only the name that's a bit abnormal!

Seem's we are all in agreement on this one and your sentiments echo mine excactly, but are we being just a bit mean and selfish. Have we forgotton just how difficult times could be when raising a family mean't treating your children to a holiday was simply out of the question. And what about our own parents who gave up so many things rather than see us go without, and yet all of this is conveniently pushed to one side when it comes to our 'precious' vans.

How sad that we are more than willing to see these expensive motorhomes stand, often for long periods, unused rather than risk the odd stain or scratch when we have the opportunity to give so much joy and happiness to our own children, the same joy and happiness given to us without question when we were young.

Given this matter a lot of thought and finally came to this conclusion.

And its still the same. They can all take a running jump and that van goes nowhere unless its me behind the steering wheel. :->

Archived