War in Afghanistan

nightrider

In tonights edition of the Manchester Evening News Gordon Brown states that Britain is winning the war against Afghanistan, oh really?

Apart from the fact I dont believe a blind word Brown says, I would like to know why the Afghans are able to give Britain and America such a bloody nose and kill so many of our troops? How can a rag tag Afghan army compete against such firepower of the coalition forces? Something is going wrong somewhere.

no one has ever won against the Afghans! From Alexander the Great to the current debacle, no one has conquered the country, regardless of their technology. While I support our troops, I do not support the war in Afghanistan against people we and the Americans trained to fight the Russians.

We won't win without a scorched earth policy against the poppy growers and winning the hearts and minds of the locals. This means providing farmers with alternative crops to grow.

There are many side issues with Afghanistan that our government would rather we didn't think about!

The Russians learnt the hard way ! They sent in literally Thousands of troops with all their Armour and technology and big Helicoptor Gun ships. The Afghans with their limited resources drove them out, but not before hundreds of Russians soldiers lives had been lost.

Sorry, but this is our Vietnam !

I have never known America fight a war solely on her own, in Vietnam they had the Aussies hands to hold on to.

In the first and second Gulf war they had the Brits to lean on just as they have now in Afghanistan.

Eventually the Yanks will pull out of Afghanistan just as they did in Vietnam, a lost cause that cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives and what for? A failed dream of world domination and glory on the battle field, the latter being something that has and always will elude the Yanks.

I feel sorry for all the young American soldiers who have lost their lives and for all the thousands of grieving American moms and dads who have lost their kids in a futile war, and what for? nothing.

knight of the road - 2009-07-14 2:18 PM I have never known America fight a war solely on her own, in Vietnam they had the Aussies hands to hold on to. In the first and second Gulf war they had the Brits to lean on just as they have now in Afghanistan. Eventually the Yanks will pull out of Afghanistan just as they did in Vietnam, a lost cause that cost billions of dollars and thousands of lives and what for? A failed dream of world domination and glory on the battle field, the latter being something that has and always will elude the Yanks. I feel sorry for all the young American soldiers who have lost their lives and for all the thousands of grieving American moms and dads who have lost their kids in a futile war, and what for? nothing.

As Colin said, some of us are amazed at your ignorance. You start by talking about the war 'against' Afghanistan when we are fighting with the goverment of that country against the evil of the Taliban. However, the above post is not just ignorant, it's an absolute disgrace. To talk of the U.S. needing the Aussies' hands to hold shows your utter lack of knowledge of the war and America's aims.

Here are a couple of facts: In the Vietnam war the U.S. lost 58,000 men. Australia lost 520. The U.S., despite your wild claims about glory and world domination has never, repeat never, held on to one inch of territory that it has liberated and has never ever shown any imperialist aims, unlike Russia, China and the other major powers.

In the Second World War, America's intervention is the reason that you are not now speaking German or Japanese, and whilst Great Britain and her allies were the initial major players in that war and bore the brunt of it for most of the time, there is no doubt that the entrance into the war of the U.S. helped us to win it.

You cannot show me one example of America seeking 'world domination' and we should thank God that America is prepared to fight alongside us in Afghanistan. If the Taliban is not defeated there, Pakistan will be next. Pakistan has nuclear weapons and God help us again if the Taliban wins control of those.

I rarely contribute to this site because the attitude and ignorance of many of its contributors annoys me intensely but I am not prepared to sit back and let you insult a country that has been our friend and biggest ally for generations. You appear to have an opinion on everything Knight of the Road, it's a pity that you know so little about anything and are simply driven by your ignorant and unintelligent prejudices.

I note that on at least two occasions you've supposedly left this site after people have criticised your excesses, but each time you return and start again. Do us all a favour and go for good.

I shall not be responding to you again.

Quote.

“I think it should be expanded on to find the answer to resolving a problem that is killing many of our young lads, “

Well Knight, IMHO, I thought that went rather well, didn’t you?

After Dr. Johnson said patriotism was the last refuge of a scoundrel, the cynic Ambrose Bierce amended it with, "I beg to submit that it is the first." Then H.L. Mencken jumped in: "But there is something even worse: it is the first, last and middle range of fools.

Regards PKC.

We are not fighting in Afghanistan for "Nothing" KoTR.

We are fighting against a particularly nasty version of a religion that has spun the words of the Koran into hatred of others. The Koran actually states that Muslims should respect other religions. And that is what the majority of Muslims want to do. The Majority of Pakistanis want the Taliban destroyed as much as we do. The last thing they want is to be ruled by medieval bigots. Similarly we do not want the likes of Al Quaeda and the Taliban to have a sanctuary where they can plan other despicable acts like 911, 7/7, the Spanish Train attacks, and the recent attack on Mumbai.

That is why far from the US and the UK being alone and one holding the hand of the other, we have the Pakistani armed forces attacking the Taliban on their side of the border. So the largest Muslim nation in the world is attacking the so called “Muslim extremists” with exactly the same reasoning as our forces are.

Knight of the Road - you probably missed that significant point as it does not appear in the equally medieval bigotry of the BNP literature.

Guest Tracker

Whenever I watch the wonderful people of Wootton Basset paying respect to the returning soldiers who have died in defence of our country and our way of life - and by association their brave colleagues - it brings more than a few tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat.

Anyone who has ever lost anyone close to them, for whatever reason, might in some way begin to understand the feelings of despair that many of the bereaved families will be feeling now.

Maybe we cannot fully comprehend the feelings of extreme fear that both the soldiers in the war zone and their families at home are going through now - and all to keep us safe - but we do owe them our total support in every way and if that means an increase in income tax ring fenced to pay for the very best kit in the world for immediate delivery then I for one would support it.

I will not get into a "discussion" on ther rights or wrongs of the war but it is worth bearing in mind that other countries are also losing soldiers. We don't seem to hear much about the Germans, canadians etc (apologies to the nationalities not mentioned). I fully appreciate that British media will concentrate on British soldiers, but we hear about the yanks but not about the others especially through TV/Radio media. I wonder why that is and if it's some propaganda by the Labour government to put a less negative spin on the war.

Incidentally i fully support our troops and agree that they should have the best kit/numbers and back up including proper aftercare when home!

Totally agree guys! – Wootton Basset should have a recognition – No idea what I am talking about here but how did Tunbridge Wells get the “Royal” tag?? Genuine question because if it is given as an honour then I for one would support the move for it to be named “Royal Wootton Basset”

Anyone any ideas or knowledge in this area???

As for the equipment debacle – heads should role on at least two counts from what I understand.

One – Chinook Helicopters bought with the wrong software years ago and never flown for 8 years when they were desperately needed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7923341.stm

Two – Snatch Land Rovers designed for the civil unrest on the streets of Belfast used in a war zone.

Now people that know me know I am a Land Rover Anorak and proud of it – but Lord above I can see their limitations!! – Why on earth have so many died when it was known that they were not up to that job function. Thank God for the Judiciary and the Mother of a dead soldier in allowing a full enquiry into exactly who was to blame.

Let’s hope it is not another whitewash.

knight of the road - 2009-07-13 8:34 PM

In tonights edition of the Manchester Evening News Gordon Brown states that Britain is winning the war against Afghanistan, oh really?

Apart from the fact I dont believe a blind word Brown says, I would like to know why the Afghans are able to give Britain and America such a bloody nose and kill so many of our troops? How can a rag tag Afghan army compete against such firepower of the coalition forces? Something is going wrong somewhere.

I've come a bit late to this thread but I would mention that we are not fighting against the Afghan army.

We are on their side, fighting against the Taliban.

Archived