Waterproof jacket for 8yr old girl

Scottish Joan

Hi guys and girls, I'm new here. My main point of coming on to the forum is because my little girl is 8 so goes to Girl Brownies group and goes on a few camping weekends away with them.

We are currently looking for a nice warm, waterproof jacket that she could use only for going on her camping weekends instead of using her daily life one so, any suggestions would be much appreciated :).

You cant beat Musto IMO. Most of them you might look like your about to take part in the Admirals Cup but not all of them. Ive still got a Musto storm jacket from the mid 90s and whilst its a bit battered and frayed around the edges its still totally waterproof. I have a thick Musto Coat as well thats at least 15 years old and its like new.

Trouble with”warm” waterproof jackets is that when you get too warm you want to take it off. Better to have warm layers with a waterproof shell outer jacket, that way sweatshirts or mid layers can come off but the shell can stay on if it’s wet.

Bulletguy - 2019-04-13 4:01 PM

The problem for the OP is it's for an 8 year old so whatever she buys, her daughter is going to outgrow it pretty quick so whatever she decides on, i wouldn't pay too much.

Another point is to buy oversize rather than one which 'just fits'.

That won't be a problem because that's what I usually do.

• 2 weeks later...

I go with using layers suggestion to build up warmth in the damp.

Waterproof jackets can range from very ! (As used in sailing or kayaking). Moderate as in walking , to showerproof.

The problem with any activity outdoors is wearability,weight and build up of heat which leads to removal of garments. Best to start being slightly cold and build up heat whilst being active, then cover when stopped and disrobe when starting off again.

I would go with heavy showerproof, an inner fleece, and maybe one or two lighter inners which can be easily stuffed into a back sack.

Decent footwear is a must too, breatheable if possible to stop buildup of fungal foot !

Happy scouting.

Rgds

Archived