We're going to Goodwood!

davenewellhome

My dearly beloved has dug deep (very deep 8-) ) and stumped up the fees for us to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed in two weeks time. We have roving grandstand tickets for all three days and will be camping on their own site. Total cost is around £500 for the three days but that gets us full access to everything there.

I've seen this event on the TV for a good few years now and often said I'd love to go there so this year when we heard about it on the radio Jacqui said "fancy going?". "Oh yeah says I, but who's going to pay for it?"

Well we chewed it over and as we're not having a proper holiday this year, just grabbing weekends away as and when plus the show weekends, we agreed that we would go for it. Jacqui 8-) 8-) has payed for it as a joint birthday and Chrimbo pressie for me, ain't she great? :D :D

Here's a link to the Goodwood website.

http://www.goodwood.co.uk/Default.aspx

D.

P.S. have a look at the list of who is driving what, it reads like a "who's who" of motorsport!

I went for a day trip a few years ago (well about 12 when I think of it) - had a great time. Really enjoyed it. To be able to get so close to such iconic machinery was truly awesome.

Two highlights for me - the first was wandering about and finding a small crowd around no other than Barry Sheen. Now sadly dead but on that day he kept us all amused with his stories such as carburettors falling off water cooled twostroke triples at over 100 mph. A true gentleman who seemed to be enjoying the event and everyones company as much as we enjoyed his.

The second was the flying display by about four WWII fighters - a couple of Spitfires, a Hurricane and an ME109 all flew around us but the truly amazing thing was watching them come into land as we were on the raised ground at one end of the landing strip and the aircraft were just yards above us as they came into land. Never been so close to any aircraft when it was flying - let alone such WWII fighters.

Not sure if such a flying display is still done at the festival of speed but I hope it is and if so - I would recommend you try to get a good position around the landing strip.

I will have a look at your link in a mo - it may just convince me I should go again!! :-D

Yep! - the site shows a couple of Spitfires so hopefully they will be doing a display. Also looked at the day tickets - and we went on a Friday as a "jolly" from work. A roving grandstand ticket for just £59 is very good value in my view. More expensive at the weekend but that is to be expected.

You will have a great time Dave.

Now pondering what I am doing that Friday?

Guest Tracker

Good on you Dave - life is for living and I hope you thoroughly enjoy the wonderful experience.

All those fabulous noises and evocative smells - and that's just in bed!

After spending the days looking around and photographing all the cars, bikes and celebrity drivers, then a barbie and a few beers in the evening I doubt very much if either of us will notice any noise or odour after lights out Dick.

I am sooooo looking forward to it. All the big names of British motorsport ( and a few foreigners as well :D ) driving some seriously classic motors at serious speeds up the hillclimb and through the forest rally stage, it will truly be a weekend to remember forever. If we get the WWII flypast as well I will be in heaven!

Here's hoping for good weather.

D.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the van is all cleaned and prepped, batteries are on charge (no hookup installed yet so totally reliant on the twin 110 AH Elecsols and the 100Watt solar panel for the next four nights, and we have a compressor fridge) to maximise their performance. Fridge is on and cooling nicely so at least when we arrive tomorrow afternoon we can crack a cold one :D . Plan is to head off around midday after a brief shopping trip tomorrow morning for the foodstuffs (beer's already in :D :D ).

D.

Green with envy Dave,

Do you think Jackie could have a chat with Val at Newbury. I fancy the madness of Le Mans just once for the experience.

I dragged Val around the French national car Museum on our June trip. Dozens of 19th century horseless carriages that she actually found interesting. Scores of Bugattis up to and including three Royals and a Veyron. The official blurb was the visit should take an hour but we took three and I could spend a couple of years there.

For anyone visiting western France there is a great old car weekend in the middle of September at Angouleme known as the Circuit de Ramparts.

It starts with a concours on the Friday evening a big classic car run in Saturday and street racing in the town n Sunday. Lots of Brits make a weekend of it. We have been three times and might even be there this year.

In 2004 they ran one race on Sunday to commerate the 100th anniversary of the Paris to Madrid race ( the one the French Government stopped as there had been scores of fatalities to spectators). Some cars of that era survive but were re-engined in the 1920 with WW1 aircraft engines.

I will long rember the sight of a 25 litre (yes thats twenty five litre ) rear wheel only braked monsters being power slid amongst stone walls and armco. Men from boys stuff.

Last time Ecurrie Eccosse were there with there famous Comer TS3 transporter and Jag C types.

Must raid the piggy bank for Goodwood next year.

If you're ever in my area of the Midlands, go to Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb.

There is an amazing array of cars from 1904 to the present day that compete up the hill.

Today is the Vintage Sports Car Club

LINK

There's a Delage with a 27 litre airplane engine. Awesome!

We're back :D :D !! All I can say about Goodwood FoS is WOW!!!! Petrolhead heaven! The cars and the stars were amazing and being able to walk amongst them was truly incredible. Apparently the one Jaguar long nose D type was valued at 4.5 million quid 8-) and then it got driven up the hill time and time again (as did all the cars) rather quickly! Anyone knowledgable about LeMans cars would know that a Porshe 917 is quite a rare sight........................ there were about seven of them there and all ran up the hill indecently quickly 8-) 8-) .

I think it may be a week or two before my grin fades to a smile :D :D :D .

Just got to sort through the photos now, only about 1500 to look through.

D.

Will do Clive, I've just spent the last hour or two culling the duds, anything out of focus or generally crap has gone in the bin but there still seems to be over a thousand shots to choose from so it might be a day or two before I post anything :D .

D.

In edit: even the campsite was a petrolhead's wet dream with everything from the humblest modern basic hatchback to Aston Martins, Porsches, TVR, Morgan, AC Cobra replicas (but the one on track was a genuine 60s Shelby Cobra!!). Quite amusing to see an Aston martin pull inot the campsite and the driver get out and pull a cheap tent out of the boot! :D :D

D.

Now I am spitting feathers!!!

As well as anything on two or four wheels (not really three!! (lol) ) to get my blood racing, so do aircraft.

I have not seen a Typhoon "in the flesh" yet so realising that one displayed at Goodwood, just an hour or two away from where I sit now is a bit of a bummer.

More pictures please Dave!

Guest Tracker

Clive

If you are ever on the East Coast you can watch these aircraft in action - along with F15s, F16s, Tornados and Harriers etc.on the bombing ranges at Gedney Drove End and Donna Nook.

They are one very very impressive machine with a phenomenal climb rate and sound track to match and they make the rest look quite tame by comparison!

Well wow what can I say a brilliant weekend with brilliant weather displays all around and in the air, it was all fantastic, well worth the money to see the look on the other halfs face.

Clive there was a morgan three wheeler there as well doing burn ups on the straight.

I think for both of us seeing the typhoon and the red arrows was just the icing on the cake, and the shots he managed to get are brill, more to come we took approx 1600 pics so a bit of sorting to do. (lol) (lol)

Guest Tracker
CliveH - 2009-07-07 2:35 PM

Love the idea of watching those planes Tracker - something I think I should look into.

It's very entertaining at times Clive and best of all parking is free (or was two years ago) - if a little restricted.

If you have the appropriate short wave radio receiver you can hear the pilots talking to range control and to each other at times so you know when they are on their way (we don't have such luxuries but there is generally someone there who will help in exchange for a cuppa tea as they tend to be a friendly bunch!)

Donna Nook, near North Sommercotes, is also a nature reserve and a lovely quiet spot - when they are not flying!

Gedney drove End, near Holbeach, is a little harder to get to as it is narrow lanes with a very difficult turning space at the end - especially if someone is parked in it - so may be worth a walk down from where the road ends first.

Both sites can be located via Google and I seem to recall that you used to be able to phone the RAF to find out when they are flying - or if they won't tell you that for 'operational' reasons - when it is safe to walk out on the mud and sand flats.

Will try to post a few more over the weekend, we've been having t'internet problems at home this week and the nice man from Virgin has just been and installed a new modem for us so we're back. Just about to go for a bath before we go down the pub for a bevvy or three with friends who fly out to Mexico tomorrow to get married.

The three wheeled Morgan was highly entertaining, apparently because it only has two gears and is high geared overall for top speed the only way to get it off the line cleanly and quickly is with a large dose of right foot and dump the clutch to spin up the rear wheel. Quite worrying seeing a three wheeler doing 150 yard burnouts and sliding sideways. Driver had a "moment" on his first run though, tooling into the one corner (which has an adverse camber) at the end of a fast straight his throttle jammed full open 8-) 8-) 8-) !

D.

Simple,

The Morgan two speed set up uses a two chain final drive , one high ratio the other a bit lower, the drive comes back from the engine to a bevel gear with a dog clutch that engages the appropriate chain.

They used to lap Brooklands at 100 mph.

At the other extreme they still compete in the Classic Trials up very steep rough middy hills with appropriate easy to alter gear ratios.

Archived