We've not forgotten you ...

Tony Jones

... it's just been a bit busy lately so I haven't had chance to join in.

Mostly work stuff, but we escaped briefly at the end of last week (Thur-Sat) to Cambridgeshire.

Booked on a caravan site near Burwell, which I won't name or the Mods will pull me - we weren't impressed. (£14 a night, PLUS 20p meter for showers and even for hot water in laundry/wash-up area!, nowhere to empty built-in waste tank, "hard" standing with gravel so deep it might as well have been grass ...). Maybe we've been spoilt by too much good-value continental touring.

Lovely day in Ely though - surprising amount to see for such a small city. In Oliver Cromwell's house you can vote for whether he was a Hero or a Villain - not that he'll be too bothered either way now!

In the evening we went out into the sticks in search of a decent pub meal, which we found at

http://www.diningpubs.co.uk/pub_details.asp?id=721&section=results . Excellent food, nice atmosphere, and (I'm whispering now, don't tell the others but ...) the landlord let us stay the night on the carpark at the back, so we never went back to the site even though we'd paid for the second night. I know "no-shows" are a pain, but the site was nearly empty and we'd paid for nothing (same as first night really!!) so I don't feel bad about that.

Glad to hear Mutley's doing well - an excellent animal in every way.

Tony

Glad to hear you're still with us Tony and getting out in the van.

What a diabolical site you stayed on though. I mean, what planet are these owners on??

Paying for showers is soooooo last decade but paying to wash your pots up!! I've never heard of that in 25 + years of camping.

Martyn

Glad to hear you're still enjoying your new toy Tony!

I agree - paying for showers is shocking.....some of thw sites out here can be quite highly priced, especially in the season, but you never have to pay for showers - in fact the one we stayed at in Granada had a heated shower room with radiators etc.... I left my towel on there warming up while I was showering (we did go in a cold month - mind you it seems winters back with us at the moment!!)

Mutley sends licks to you both!

Welcome home Tony. These extras you have to pay for always annoy me and always feel its a bit underhanded. Why don,t site owners simply give a all inclusive price and have done with it. At least what you see is what you get and its up to you to decide if you want to pay that price or not.

On the campsite for our penultimate night in Oostende there was a charge of 1 euro for a shower, we put the gas boiler on and had showers in the camper instead! Other than that the site was nice, so no complaints.

Archived