West Coast of Scotland Adventure.

Hymer C 9.

Well finally got a wfi signal so will report in to MMM Towers, On Wednesday we travelled 170 miles to CCC at Haltwhistle, the weather was dry but chilly, got our trusty bikes out and soon found the South Tyne Cycle track No. 69 into Haltwhistle and on to Hadrian's wall, lovely scenery and a good bike ride, had a walk along the wall, then started back before the rain. I would say the site is more a stop over site than a holiday one but the town of Haltwhistle is pleasant with lovely walks around it, and very good cycling.

We are now at the Mossyard by Gate House of Fleet, a site we found in Vicarious Books, Great Sea View Camping &Caravan Sites in Britain a brilliant little book. The site is beautifully clean well kept and quiet and we are literally 10 paces of the beach I have seen some beautiful birds already and keeping noes on them. The skies are quite blue with lovely sun here today but the wind is keeping it cooler, sitting overlooking a lovely river at Newton Steward where I have picked up a good wfi signal on my 3 dongle. Off to explore some more now. Carol.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now 8.45pm in the evening, got wfi on the site, the evening here has been stunning just had a walk on the beach, the sun is so many colours of pink it is stunning, on the beach there are layers of beautiful sea shells along the beach, been into the village of Gate House of Fleet this afternoon such a pretty place, flowers out everywhere, and No 7 cycle way running all around the area, definitely worth a visit. Carol.

Weve stayed at Haltwistle in caravan Carol but never in Motorhome were you at the C.C.C. site?  Never been to Newton Steward on our many trips into Scotland Ill have to make a note of that one! I hope the weather keeps dry for you its a good time to visit Scotland the midges are still asleep!!  how far up are you going?

Hi Maggyd, Yes it was the CCC site aty Haltwhilstle, it was a bit closed in for me, but very handy to visit Hadrians Wall, The site where we are at now Mossyard is beautiful and at the moment we are the only ones on it magic just walked accross the beach to a little Island and sat in the sun for a hour, come back for a cup of tea, and wfi access will run out just now so thought I would have a look what has been going on, our next stop will be at Caravan Club at on the edge of Loose Bay at Drummore where the series 2000 acres of sky was filmed I just loved that so looking forward to that, we will just keep on going up until its time to come back (we are booked on to the Stratford -on-Avon show so will have to show our faces at home before taking off again, after Drummore we will probabbly go to Culzean Castle,then on again, when I can pick up wfi will keep updated If the rest of the holiday is as good as the start I'll have no complaints. Carol.

Since leaving Gate House of Fleet on Monday, we have been to Port Logan where the TV Series 2000 acres of syke was filmed, it was down some very long lanes but very quiet and we got the Hymer down without any trouble, it was a lovely sleepy little village with just a pub in it which served excellent food, we spent a hour wandering around there then carried on to Portpatric another pretty little harbour town.

We then carried on along a A77 coast road past Stranraer / Girvan and are now camped at the CCC site on Culzean National Trust Estate just outside the village of Maidens, we were going to stay one night but it is so nice we have booked on for 3 nights.

Today we have had a unusual day first of all a couple on the site gave us tickets to get into the estate for free (although we did give a donation) we had a explore around the estate on our bikes with its deer park, swan lake and wonderfully informative free video show giving you all the history of the estate since the 16th century.

Then we went for a walk around the beautiful walled gardens parking our bikes up, when we got back there was a gent with our bikes trying to figure out how they worked and was quite taken with them so as usual I said go and have a ride on it, he came back delighted saying they were just what he wanted, anyway we got chatting and he was a very knowledgeable gentleman giving us a lot of information and telling us about a excellent little restaurant in town, so we rode down with him chatting, then went into the restaurant. When we went to pay the bill the gentleman had paid it for us (No one can tell me the Scottish are mean), I could not believe it.

Then we went back to the Castle in exact time for the last tour of the day it was very good. So all in all with the beautiful weather we have had today and the kind folk we have met. A very good day indeed. Carol.

Hymer C 9. - 2008-04-20 4:35 PM Hi Maggyd, Yes it was the CCC site aty Haltwhilstle, it was a bit closed in for me, but very handy to visit Hadrians Wall, The site where we are at now Mossyard is beautiful and at the moment we are the only ones on it magic just walked accross the beach to a little Island and sat in the sun for a hour, come back for a cup of tea, and wfi access will run out just now so thought I would have a look what has been going on, our next stop will be at Caravan Club at on the edge of Loose Bay at Drummore where the series 2000 acres of sky was filmed I just loved that so looking forward to that, we will just keep on going up until its time to come back (we are booked on to the Stratford -on-Avon show so will have to show our faces at home before taking off again, after Drummore we will probabbly go to Culzean Castle,then on again, when I can pick up wfi will keep updated If the rest of the holiday is as good as the start I'll have no complaints. Carol.

Yes that is a lovely site at Drummore its the New England Bay site isnt it? we have been to loos bay and a bit further on is Port Patrick which is worth a visit.Culzean is CCC site isnt it if I remember rightly when we were there its not very flat and I dont know if there are hardstandings but the book will tell you we havent been there since we got the MH.

I find the Scottish people very friendly Carol in fact there is nowhere I would rather be than in Scotland! but I am looking forward to going to Germany this year it will be the first time abroad with the MH so I am a little apprehensive. Enjoy the rest of your trip and I hope the weather keeps fine for you.  Oh and are your bikes Electric? I do envy you if they are ours are Raleigh Broadwalk folding bikes.

Hi Maggyd, Yes there is hard standing , about 10 of them overlooking the sea and the Isle of Aran. Yes the bikes are electric assist all aluminium and very light, they do well over 40 miles on one charge, but when you don't want the power on you just use them like a ordinary bike and they are very light towards the traditional electric bikes just like a mountain bike so Ed can easily put them on and off the bike rack on his own. They are called Shwinn Stream Line. Like you say it is so friendly here. Carol.

Hi, don't know if Rob you are reading this but because I enjoy looking out for various birds (feathered kind) would put what I have seen a bit unusual for me as follows.

1. Black Guillemot (nesting in the harbour wall at Portpatrick.

2. Fulmar. seen quite a few of these on the cliffs of Culzean Castle.

3. A huge Buzzard that flew up in front of the van and just skimmed the window.

4. Now I think i was a Avocet it was very white with a black head looked a bit like a Egret. (not sure on that one).

5. Rock pipit, watched these for ages at Mossyard.

5. Shelduck, just love these they look so pretty.

6. Spotted Flycatcher in the woods at Haltswhistle.

These are some of the different birds we have seen so far plus many of the kinds I would expect to find. Carol.

Carol what an angel you are thinking of me while on holiday. :-D We are mere novices and have not ticked a Fulmer, Rock Pippet and loads of others yet. Tally only stands at 65 varieties. Pleased to read you are having a great time. Avocet's have a wide upturned bill if I remember rightly and sort of sweep the mud side to side looking for food.

Keep posting sweetie. Best wishes Rob

colin - 2008-04-24 9:22 PM

Where was the Avocet?

Hi Colin, it was on the A77 and it was close to Lendalfoot & Girvan, I saw more variety of sea/shore birds along that stretch of the road than I have seen anywhere. I have looked at what else it could have been but it was too white to have been a Curlew.

Maggyd did not see any Puffin's at Portpatrick, not many birds there except quite a few Black Guillemot.

Rob I watched something strange out of the van window about a hour ago (its raining at the moment that's why we are inside) there was a squirrel running across the grass when all of a sudden a big crow flew down on to it, as the squirrel was getting away a magpie swooped down on to the crow, did not know a crow would go after a squirrel.

Thanks Martin I never know if it is boring for people to read , but I know I enjoy reading and getting information from the forum folk. Carol.

Hi Carol, Nice to hear from you again, I really look forward to your postings ,as I am sure many others do, Hope you continue to enjoy Hols

You certainly have seen a wide variety of Birds, i found 2 Bird books out

and looked them up.Sorry to hear it has been raining, I am sure the sun will be peeping out for you shortly, Keep up the good work, Take care, Ria.

Hymer C 9. - 2008-04-25 3:26 PM
colin - 2008-04-24 9:22 PM Where was the Avocet?
Hi Colin, it was on the A77 and it was close to Lendalfoot & Girvan, I saw more variety of sea/shore birds along that stretch of the road than I have seen anywhere. I have looked at what else it could have been but it was too white to have been a Curlew. Maggyd did not see any Puffin's at Portpatrick, not many birds there except quite a few Black Guillemot. Rob I watched something strange out of the van window about a hour ago (its raining at the moment that's why we are inside) there was a squirrel running across the grass when all of a sudden a big crow flew down on to it, as the squirrel was getting away a magpie swooped down on to the crow, did not know a crow would go after a squirrel. Thanks Martin I never know if it is boring for people to read , but I know I enjoy reading and getting information from the forum folk. Carol.

Carol I hate Crows sinse we were at the C.C. site at the Lakes do you know I cant think of the name now (Im having a senile moment)!! we were walking across a car park watching a mother dck with her chicks and a flippin big crow swooped down and took the little one at the back and flew into a copice with it and as we walked away he came back and took another I chased it into the bushes but it had disapeared! I know its nature and you cant do anything about it the crow probably had little ones it was feeding but it seems so cruel.

I have to be carefull with my little chihuahua in the mountains of Scotland Im always afraid a kite or something might try to take him Ive heard of a yorkie that was taken. 

Hello its me back, have not been on wfi for a while, since we left Maidens, we went to Ayr for 3 nights CC site the site was very good but the town of Ayr not the prettiest of places, but there was some nice walks along the river bank, from Ayr. When we pulled off the site at Ayr we came to the Tesco Petrol station there was no wait and we filled up with diesel so had no worry's about that in fact we passed about 8 stations all with plenty of fuel, we then made our way to Lock Lomond CCC Luss had pitch 8 faboulous overlooking the Lock and just paces away from the shore, on the first day we cycled to Tarbet then next we cycled to Balloch each way the ride was beautiful, both ways along the new west Lock cycle way, The village of Luss is very pretty with some good signed walks. We enjoyed the Luss site and would go again

We left Lock Lomond on Thursday making our way to Kintyre. along the A83 past Lock Long and Lock Fynne through beautiful scenery. finally arriving at Tarbet where we parked up by the harbour and had the best fish and chips I have tasted for a long time.

We left there following the A83 then cut across the B8001 to B842 and came to the most stunning scenery I have ever seen you could have been anywhere in the world Norway Canada, with the forests and sweeping hills and beautiful locks, the sun was shining down and although it was a windy road (not advisable for car and caravan or a very big Motorhome) the Hymper seemed to take the 1st gear bends no trouble, but we both said we would not have missed the ride for anything, in the forest I seen 3 deers and there were Kytes and overhead. You can take the A83 down to Cambletown and back to Carradale which is a nice run if you prefer.

We arrived at our site at Carradale and it just got better, we got given pitch 42 overlooking Kilbrannan Sound and overlooking the Isle of Arran, the beach is just through a gate by our Motorhome, and there is hardly another soul around, we walked the beach a mile long on lovley sand, all around there are stunning views I think that Carradale Bay Caravan Park as gone to the top of my list.

Have had so many adventures here will continue tomorrow, as my wfi is running out now. Carol.

noth

Hello Carol, great to hear from you again,I only mentioned you yesterday to Janine,wondering how you were getting on, Thankyou for your lovely Post, You are certainly having a wonderful time, So pleased for you after the worrying start, you had due to the fuel situation, After reading

about all the lovely places you have visited, I decided to find the Map out that we took to Scotland,3 miles;inch. so I was able to see exactly where

you were, hope you continue to enjoy your holiday, take care, Regards, Ria. ps. I hope there will be some lovely Pic's to show us all (lol)

Hi Carol I know a lot of the places that you are travelling and I agree you have to go a long way to see scenery like you have in Scotland, we stayed at the CCC club site at Luss last spring (that was where Take the Highroad was filmed) do remember that? We have stayed at Loch Long a couple of years ago I think the site is Ardgarten! that was where the midges were we left in a hurry :-S but that was in July you are there at the right time. Hope you enjoy the rest of your journey Take Care Margaret.

Hi everyone, I am posting this in bits as I get a section done hen loose my wfi s here goes, we stayed at Carradale for 5 nights, it was such a friendly place, one little example we were in the harbour, by the strangest paper shop you will ever see, when this guy came and asked could he have a look at my bike so I said go have a ride on it, when he came back after about quarter of a hour, we got chatting, he said he owened 3 fishing boats and did I like prawns, I said I loved them he asked which pitch we were on, that evening he came to our van with a carrier bag full of Langusties huge ones, so the site owner told us were to pick wild garlic and what to do with it, we had two lovley meals out of it. what lovley people there are around.

Archived