What are the rules

Violet1956

Our van is stored about 6 miles away from our home. We think it is about time we checked whether we can start it and give it a run. It hasn’t been moved or started up since late January. Expecting the battery to be flat and the usual stench from the waste water system. I’m anxious that the self-appointed keepers of the lockdown rules will have a go at us if we were to take it out on the road to a beauty spot within reasonable distance of our home yet still within the county of Dorset. What would you do?

Of course you can go out in it as long as you can get to your storage ok as some are closed still.

Just dont stay over anywhere overnight in it. I would just go local or out in the sticks where nobody will bother you. Worst you would get during the day is maybe a bit of tutting or a funny stare but I do know some of the locals around here and especially in the larger villages and tourist places have got very territorial and by the way some people are behaving justifiably so. Ill be taking mine out sometime soon but to be honest its a chore for me, I cant be bothered with it.

Barryd999 - 2020-05-21 3:10 PM

Of course you can go out in it as long as you can get to your storage ok as some are closed still.

Just dont stay over anywhere overnight in it. I would just go local or out in the sticks where nobody will bother you. Worst you would get during the day is maybe a bit of tutting or a funny stare but I do know some of the locals around here and especially in the larger villages and tourist places have got very territorial and by the way some people are behaving justifiably so. Ill be taking mine out sometime soon but to be honest its a chore for me, I cant be bothered with it.

You're right. Just taking the van for a limited run out is a bit of a chore. I'm also a bit worried about the state of it right now. Still it costs so much to keep it going and not to have the benefit of taking it out for a proper break with all the maintenance and insurance costs that remain is a bit galling. Nevertheless, these are first world problems as I keep reminding myself.

We've been to two carparks in the past week up on the top of the south downs on the South Downs Way, and I was amazed by the number of cars and particularly van conversions up there. Didn't go in the van, but we took the van down to a Halfords about 8 miles away a couple of weeks back, and it attracted no attention at all. I think it's mainly a case of being discreet and not heading for honeypot places like Lulworth Cove! You need to do 20 miles or so once you've got it going, so that everything gets properly warmed up and all the fluids get circulated and any rust gets removed from the brake discs and/or drums. The batteries would benefit from 24 hours on EHU as well. Can that be done at the storage?

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-21 7:08 PM

The batteries would benefit from 24 hours on EHU as well. Can that be done at the storage?

If not then Violets only alternative is to remove them and keep on trickle charge at home, ensuring she has the radio code before disconnecting that battery!

Certainly you are allowed to drive anywhere in England for the day.

Whether you can stay overnight seems to be as vague and confusing as the rest of the Governments instructions. The law differs from politicians statements, and council notices etc

But vagueness can be our friend sometimes can't it (lol)

I'm seeing a few more motorhomes out now, but not as many as you normally see this time of year in this weather. What reaction you get from local nimbys depends on where you go, and who sees you. The police have seen and ignored me many times, but if they were called out by a local nimby I suppose they would have to investigate.

These guys got away with it by saying they had been living in the motorhome since the lockdown

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/police-called-after-large-motorhome-4132383?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

In the last few days many seafronts have been overwhelmed with day trippers its taken attention away from us. I was parked by the seafront, when the day trippers had gone the locals came out. But they weren't tutt-tutting at my van. They were looking in the opposite direction tut-tutting at all the empty cans and bottles strewn across the beach - and the places being used as toilets as all the toilets are shut.

Guest pelmetman
John52 - 2020-05-22 7:34 AM

Whether you can stay overnight seems to be as vague and confusing as the rest of the Governments instructions. The law differs from politicians statements, and council notices etc

I'm seeing a few more motorhomes out now, but not as many as you normally see this time of year in this weather. What reaction you get from local nimbys depends on where you go, and who sees you. The police have seen and ignored me many times, but if they were called out by a local nimby I suppose they would have to investigate.

These guys got away with it by saying they had been living in the motorhome since the lockdown

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/police-called-after-large-motorhome-4132383?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

In the last few days many seafronts have been overwhelmed with day trippers its taken attention away from us. I was parked by the seafront, when the day trippers had gone the locals came out. But they weren't tutt-tutting at my van. They were looking in the opposite direction tut-tutting at all the empty cans and bottles strewn across the beach - and the places being used as toilets as all the toilets are shut.

They were prolly unaware you had filled their bins with your sh*t *-) ..........

Guest pelmetman
Violet1956 - 2020-05-21 2:09 PM

Our van is stored about 6 miles away from our home. We think it is about time we checked whether we can start it and give it a run. It hasn’t been moved or started up since late January. Expecting the battery to be flat and the usual stench from the waste water system. I’m anxious that the self-appointed keepers of the lockdown rules will have a go at us if we were to take it out on the road to a beauty spot within reasonable distance of our home yet still within the county of Dorset. What would you do?

I'm off to Portland tip ;-) ...........

To sit in a queue for an hour again 8-) .........

pelmetman - 2020-05-22 8:04 AM

They were prolly unaware you had filled their bins with your sh*t *-) ..........

Well there is some truth in that.

What the eye doesn't see etc

If I hadn't tried to be helpful by posting on this forum nobody would know I used a version of the commonly available and widely used camping toilet, putting bagged waste in dog waste bins.

Nobody would know because it doesn't do any harm.

But by telling people I have set myself up to be abused over it - even changing dog waste bins to litter bins to make it sound worse than it is.

So I can understand why some people just work things out for themselves, and don't try to help anyone else by posting any helpful information in case its changed to make it sound worse, then thrown back in their faces. :-S

John52 - 2020-05-22 8:36 AM

If I hadn't tried to be helpful by posting on this forum nobody would know I used a version of the commonly available and widely used camping toilet, putting bagged waste in dog waste bins.

But by telling people I have set myself up to be abused over it - even changing dog waste bins to litter bins to make it sound worse than it is.

So I can understand why some people just work things out for themselves, and don't try to help anyone else by posting any helpful information in case its changed to make it sound worse, then thrown back in their faces. :-S

Shouldn't that be "thrown back in their faeces" ??? ... Dog bins are for dog waste , otherwise it would say dog and human waste ... The other bins you use are even more disgusting

Birdbrain - 2020-05-22 8:48 AM

John52 - 2020-05-22 8:36 AM

Shouldn't that be "thrown back in their faeces" ??? ... Dog bins are for dog waste , otherwise it would say dog and human waste ... The other bins you use are even more disgusting

Anyone trying to get this mental picture out of your head? 8-) You will be now! (lol)

1722746630_JohnHMorningCampers.jpg.22ad224ff769f36e402145574ce4c58c.jpg

Brian Kirby - 2020-05-21 7:08 PM

We've been to two carparks in the past week up on the top of the south downs on the South Downs Way, and I was amazed by the number of cars and particularly van conversions up there. Didn't go in the van, but we took the van down to a Halfords about 8 miles away a couple of weeks back, and it attracted no attention at all. I think it's mainly a case of being discreet and not heading for honeypot places like Lulworth Cove! You need to do 20 miles or so once you've got it going, so that everything gets properly warmed up and all the fluids get circulated and any rust gets removed from the brake discs and/or drums. The batteries would benefit from 24 hours on EHU as well. Can that be done at the storage?

Not for 24 hours Brian. Going today to see if it will start up. Fingers crossed.

pelmetman - 2020-05-22 8:06 AM

Violet1956 - 2020-05-21 2:09 PM

I'm off to Portland tip ;-) ...........

To sit in a queue for an hour again 8-) .........

So you are wrongly accusing me of putting stuff in the wrong bin, whilst abusing the domestic waste facility with commercial waste

John52 - 2020-05-22 2:01 PM

The other bins you use

I don't use other bins

Thats just a lie you have made up to try and make it sound worse.

It couldn't sound any worse than you bumming around the UK for weeks on end, breaking the law.

The law you broke when you crossed the border - Janette Crankie will be proper upset at you Pooperman.

It's probably only because if stopped, it would look like you were on the way to the tip, with an old armchair that you'd get away with it.

I hope you wash your hands thoroughly before you go shopping, what with your neanderthal sanitary habits :-D :-D :-D :-D

John52 - 2020-05-22 2:01 PM

The other bins you use

I don't use other bins

Thats just a lie you have made up to try and make it sound worse.

Dont be silly of course you do ... If you need to empty your bags of slush out of the motor your going to chuck them in any bin ... You cant kid a kidder ... Its bad enough you use dog waste bins anyway

Violet1956 - 2020-05-22 5:35 PM

Back to the topic. Had a great result. Took the van out for a 20 mile run and it started first time. No pongs from the water waste pipe. Engine sounding sweet. If only we had somewhere to go in it. Very happy. :-D

Glad to read your good news! A fortnightly run should suffice to keep the batteries in order.

Bulletguy - 2020-05-22 6:14 PM

Back to the topic. Had a great result. Took the van out for a 20 mile run and it started first time. No pongs from the water waste pipe. Engine sounding sweet. If only we had somewhere to go in it. Very happy. :-D

Glad to read your good news! A fortnightly run should suffice to keep the batteries in order.

Well thanks BG. It was a huge relief. We are complete rookies when it comes to all thing’s "van". There is a solar panel on top but we have no idea whether it is doing anything to top up the batteries. We replaced both the engine and leisure batteries last year. Unbeknown to us they kept failing because we didn't turn the radio off properly.

Think it's about time the government let CLs open up. In my limited experience they offer every opportunity to keep a good distance and as there are no shared facilities there is little or no risk of passing on the virus. My guess is that our government has no real idea about what are reasonably safe activities and what are not. That said, micro managing everyone's activity is not easy. Leaving it to people's own judgement and you find that on many occasions that judgement is seriously lacking.

Birdbrain - 2020-05-22 6:59 PM

One might imagine opening CLs aint high on the Governments list but anything that allows one to have a dig ... Crack on

I agree Antony, it shouldn't be so. You ignored my caveat in which I accepted that micro-managing everyone's activity is fraught with difficulty.

Violet1956 - 2020-05-22 6:54 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-05-22 6:14 PM

Well thanks BG. It was a huge relief. We are complete rookies when it comes to all thing’s "van". There is a solar panel on top but we have no idea whether it is doing anything to top up the batteries. We replaced both the engine and leisure batteries last year. Unbeknown to us they kept failing because we didn't turn the radio off properly.

Think it's about time the government let CLs open up. In my limited experience they offer every opportunity to keep a good distance and as there are no shared facilities there is little or no risk of passing on the virus. My guess is that our government has no real idea about what are reasonably safe activities and what are not. That said, micro managing everyone's activity is not easy. Leaving it to people's own judgement and you find that on many occasions that judgement is seriously lacking.

Regards solar it could be worth having a gauge installed so you can see what it's doing. I think there's been talk of allowing tent camping though not sure how that is going to work. My sister owns a static van on a site in Norfolk but the owner has shut that down for the rest of the year.

The only sure safety is to stay at home (for those that can) as the WHO have already warned of a second wave so no governments can say they haven't been warned. Let's see how ours prepares.....there's enough time.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/22/second-wave-covid-uk-coronavirus-winter/

Violet1956 - 2020-05-22 7:19 PM

Birdbrain - 2020-05-22 6:59 PM

One might imagine opening CLs aint high on the Governments list but anything that allows one to have a dig ... Crack on

I agree Antony, it shouldn't be so. You ignored my caveat in which I accepted that micro-managing everyone's activity is fraught with difficulty.

Possibly so and for that I apologise

Archived