What drew you to a M/H

michele

Abridged version ... we used to go to microcar rallies a lot, towing our Bond Minicar. We got fed up of having to stay in B&Bs (plus it cost a packet) so got a tent, got fed up with being cold/wet all the time so decided to get a motorhome (Commer Autosleeper pop-top) so we could tow the car behind it. :-D

We did have a slight flirtation with a caravan but you can't tow a caravan and car at the same time so it was a non-starter and we sold it before we even used it (for a profit I might add!). 8-)

We then converted an ambulance ... then went onto 'production' motorhomes, eventually to the one we've got now. The daft thing is we hardly got to microcar rallies now because we like to go out in the motorhome!

I've just managed to establish that, in reality, we have no excuse now to have the motorhome ......!!!!! :-(

Oh bummer ...... :$ :$ :$

I got my first motorhome 20 years ago so I could go on holiday with my son & two dogs, without the hassle of hotels etc.

I had a bit of a break when I was pursuaded that I should get a 'real' car, but as soon as I'd kicked him into touch I went out & bought 'Shirley'.

No contest really :D

I have always wanted one, ever since the kids were little - 30 odd years ago, but could never afford one!

After tenting and caravaning for years and years the dream finally became a reality a couple of years ago - it's fantastic.

the freedom, the convenience, the sheer joy of driving with everything you need cannot be bettered.

Carol

sad arn't I :-D

carolh - 2007-09-14 11:28 AM

the freedom, the convenience, the sheer joy of driving with everything you need cannot be bettered.

Carol

sad arn't I :-D

Hi Carol I entirely agree with your sentiment its what attracted us to motorhoming.

We were going to get one when we retired but after renting one we saved hard for three years and bought a second hand compass drifter. We now own an Autocruise Starspirit and love the lifestyle and have made so many wonderful friends through rallying.

mikethebike - 2007-09-14 1:04 PM
carolh - 2007-09-14 11:28 AM  We now own an Autocruise Starspirit and love the lifestyle and have made so many wonderful friends through rallying.

Mikethebike

How does your van perform in a "Power drift" whilst rallying please?:D

Or am I missing something in the translation from the English to my native tongue of Siamese.??

Thai

Very good Thai! My hubby usually thinks he's in a rally when driving around on the road - I have to keep reminding him he's in a motorhome!

Other reason for us having one, which I forgot to mention, it meant we could take the dogs away with us, much better than putting them in kennels or having to get other people to look after them. They are our 'family' after all.

Good point Mel.

Our pooches can tell when we're packing up to go away for a week end. Don't really know who is more excited them or us.

Our dogs are a Rottie & a Westie -unique combination we know, as the number of people who remembere us because of our dogs and not because of our faces!!

Thai

Guest caraprof

I never actually wanted a motorhome, in fact I really hate mine. But my mate told me about this M/H site where they have some really good arguments and apparently there's all these really great bolshie women who're up for a right good scrap.

Well, that did it for me! I went out and bought one of the bloody things the next day. Never used it mind you!

:-D :-D

I'm off out for the evening now. I normally kick it when I pass it on the drive. Only pleasure I get these days!

Only pick ours up on 26th of this month. We saw a Nuevo on an Asda car park and thouight it looked great. Never owned a caravan and usually travel abroad for hols but getting more and more sick of the airports. Wife was keener than me so I intend to give it a go and hope we like it. Everything seen on this site has been positive and encouraging. Fingers and everything else is firmly crossed. :-S

caraprof - 2007-09-14 6:37 PM 

:-D :-D

I'm off out for the evening now. I normally kick it when I pass it on the drive. Only pleasure I get these days!

Caraprof

I don't believe you for one minute.The vision of you kicking your van when you're dressed up to go out - NO WAY.!!

Don't forget a lot of us have seen a pic of you in your black bow tie regalia.You're trying to creat this monster image when it's not really you at all.(lol)

Thai

with young kids hotel holidays were too expensive, so we camped to start with with Eurocamp and then progressed to a caravan. The idea of a self contained caravan with its own motive power soon became a dream to persue. Now we have one and based on the continent, we have all of Europe and Asia,if we feel like it, open to us and no ferry crossings to eat up our spending money.

We went to Spain to look at buying somewhere. Realised that there was that much property that it was/ is bound to crash sooner rather than later, didn't want to learn cockney rhyming slang instead of Spanish, realised the country was bigger than we thought and then we saw the answer to our problems!

At least 10 vans parked up on the beach at Mojacar. I voiced the thought "We could do that!" We stopped to car to talk to them and one guy said, "Don't think of it, just do it mate!"

That was in Feb of this year. By the begining of March we had bought our van and by June we too were sat on the beach at Mojacar. 10 days we were there and it was better than we magined it was going to be.

Trouble is it has ruined our lives because all we want to do now is be off somehwere in the van!!

So what ever you do "DON'T just do it mate!"

Because if YOU do OUR space on the beach maybe gone by the time we get there again!!

Like the story. We saw one and thought it seemed like a good idea just a few weeks ago. Pick it up next week and can't wait to get cracking even though I don't know anything about the inner workings of the motorhome. I've had loads of help from this site.

Will put something back when I know what I'm talking about.

Had a 'Golden Handshake' (well, perhaps a silver one!) on retirement and had a list of, approx, 7 things we thought we may buy. After 2+ years of research, (I normally make decisions quicker than that!) we decided than a m'home was the best option for us. That was 10 years ago and have NEVER had any regrets!

Regards, Mike.

....not intended to be a sorry story, but my mum died a year ago and i was left some money that i didnt know what to do with quite simply because i didnt want to spend it on debts, double glazing or the children!!! so i thought hard about buying something that would not specifically remind me of my mum, but more so something that i would get real enjoyment from. when i chose the motorhome and sat in it for the first time i laughed as i thought what a good idea my mum would have thought it was!! and i havent looked back since!

When it is raining don't have to go out side and pack the bits and pieces away and hitch up. Just go into the cab and drive away, having only had to nip out quick and and get the electric hook-up cable in. When I had my first motorcaravan before being a tugger for many years, didn't have electric hook-ups, and the old B&W t TVs didn't use much battery. If the batteries went flat, we still had the good old "starting handle" known as the "rotary action manual commencer". Since going back to a motor home we do miss the car for nipping out for the day.

Archived