What is the point of Jeremy Corbyn?

Violet1956

Violet1956 - 2019-01-26 5:20 PM

Hope the link works, beware there's a bit of bad language. :-)

The point is, I suppose, that the Tories are really scared of him....how do peoplel feel about the Tories...leaving Brexit to one side completely....how are is the Tory Government doing?

How do you all think our Theresa May would be doing if the press and BBC treated her and the Tory Government the way they treat Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party.

I'm not a Labour Party member, by the way!

Can anyone name a single mainstream media outlet that is not a Tory Party funder? The BBC is run by a Board of political appointees all of whom are, of course, Tory!!

Why do you all think all the media are so down on Corbyn and are happy to lie about him and the Labour Party......as in Question Time recently?

Why do you think the mainstream media most especially the BBC are not telling the public about the state the country is in right now..........false unemployment figures, Universal Credit being denied to dying people, thousands of homeless people dying on the streets, hundreads of thousands of children living in absolute poverty, the return of Victorian dietary related diseases such as rickets, people living off food banks because they cannot afford to eat and pay their bills...... Philip Hammond & colleagues raiding the National Insurance Pot to pay off the national debt...etc., etc

Anyone got any ideas about why the country is fast going backwards toward Victorian times? Is this a good thing. Do you all approve of how the Tories are running the country....not in relation to Brexit but everything else.

You may well be right about the way he is treated in the media HH. However, I haven’t seen him step up to the plate in any convincing way in the unfiltered parliamentary debates. There are more talented people in the Labour party who have more credibility in my view.

HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-26 5:47 PM...............……. Do you all approve of how the Tories are running the country....not in relation to Brexit but everything else.

No, but I'm equally unconvinced by Corbyn + Labour as an alternative to May + Tories. Corbyn seems to think he can only run the country via reference to the Labour party conference.

I find the Tory MP's gyrations and evasions unendurable when asked questions, but the Labour MPs even more so, because all they do is recite whet was agreed at conference.

I don't vote for politicians who have to ask conference if they can be allowed to think for themselves, I expect them to think for themselves. Otherwise, what is the point of them?

They are not elected to satisfy the desires of one or other political party conference, they are elected to use their judgement in the best interests, as they see them, first of their country, second of their constituency and last, of their party. They presently have the whole thing back to front.

Violet1956 - 2019-01-26 6:01 PM

You may well be right about the way he is treated in the media HH. However, I haven’t seen him step up to the plate in any convincing way in the unfiltered parliamentary debates. There are more talented people in the Labour party who have more credibility in my view.

I absolutely agree.....I think JC is a complete failure as an Opposition Leader, he is simply not up tto the job....there are several who could lead that party much better than JC

Veronica......the Tory party and media have run a smear campaign against Corbyn for some time now, i can only think fueled by fear than anything else. I agree he may not be the best parliamentary debater but that's not reason enough to mount a vicious smear campaign.

HH mentions some valid points, particularly re. UC, food banks, employment etc, the latter of which one of the usual suspects was trumpeting in one thread about "employment being at an all time record high", only to later post about there being "plenty of jobs and employers being unable to fill vacancies". Bit contradictory, but then that poster doesn't realise anyone working for one hour a week, even if unpaid, is now counted as 'employed'.

Brian Kirby - 2019-01-26 6:20 PM

HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-26 5:47 PM...............……. Do you all approve of how the Tories are running the country....not in relation to Brexit but everything else.

No, but I'm equally unconvinced by Corbyn + Labour as an alternative to May + Tories. Corbyn seems to think he can only run the country via reference to the Labour party conference.

I find the Tory MP's gyrations and evasions unendurable when asked questions, but the Labour MPs even more so, because all they do is recite whet was agreed at conference.

I don't vote for politicians who have to ask conference if they can be allowed to think for themselves, I expect them to think for themselves. Otherwise, what is the point of them?

They are not elected to satisfy the desires of one or other political party conference, they are elected to use their judgement in the best interests, as they see them, first of their country, second of their constituency and last, of their party. They presently have the whole thing back to front.

Sadly, the Tories have things all their own way right now which is a bit concerning for those whose lives are in chaos because of Tory policiies not to mention those who have died as a direct result of Tory Policies. They have a fixed term Parliament so are sitting pretty, they have paid off the DOP to keep them in power and they have all the mainstream media in their pockets.

Added to that there is no effective opposition to challenge the Tories and hold them to account especially over universal credit and the rise in poverty in this country since they have been in power. Any other opposition leader would have taken the Tories to the cleaners but JC always strikes me as being terrified when trying to challenge the Tories with the result they never answer any of his questions on their inhumane policies and continue to roll them off the statute book ad infinitum.

The Tories can afford to employ companies to try to dig dirt on Jeremy Corbyn and then use it to the nth degree and the mainstream media will then run with it for ever and a day and keep referring back to it all be it absolutely lies.

I wonder where it will all end......put Brexit in the mix and I think the poor and dispossesed of the UK will be in the new workhouses the Tories will no doubt introduce when they sell off the NHS.....We're in for a rough ride over the next century, methinks :-(

Guest pelmetman
HarveyHeaven - 2019-01-26 6:27 PM

I absolutely agree.....I think JC is a complete failure as an Opposition Leader, he is simply not up tto the job....there are several who could lead that party much better than JC

Speaking as a Tory party member ;-) ..........

I think Corbyn is an excellent Labour leader :D .........

Archived