What’s really driving Brexit: bigotry

Bulletguy

Good article which nails it.

Beneath all the talk of “control” and “global Britain”, there is the germ of an extremely unpleasant nativism. Again, we pesky centrists are told to be quiet and to heed the concerns of those who have been “left behind”. But since there is not a shred of respectable evidence that immigration has had more than a marginal impact upon public service capacity, wage levels or net welfare costs, I am forced to conclude that there is now a sufficiency of Britons who just don’t much like people of foreign extraction, and certainly don’t want many more of them around the place.

So often one hears that the British people “were not consulted” about immigration levels. To which the answer is: oh yes you damn well were. Every time you insisted on a properly staffed NHS, on social care that was halfway decent, on a service economy that worked, on affordable decorators, on your Tesco and Amazon deliveries arriving on time. Each time you took that landscape for granted, you were complicit in the immigration policy that preceded the Brexit vote.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/dec/02/honest-brexit-bigotry-ugly-chapter-history?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 1:52 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 8:16 AM

More left wing bile from the font of Tosh...............the Guardian *-) .......

I suppose you have this skewed venom for Irish media too? *-)

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/let-s-be-honest-about-what-s-really-driving-brexit-bigotry-1.3718257

Written by the same Guardian loop journalist ... Ooooops ... Same fella who says "we face political collapse" ... Your kinda read , few pictures as well

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-04 1:06 PM

More left wing bile from the font of Tosh...............the Guardian *-) .......

Dave, you really need to stop standing in the middle of the room with your eyes closed, and saying "you can't see me"! :-D

Perhaps you should stop being a sponge and soaking up all the doom & gloom ;-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 3:46 PM

Dave, you really need to stop standing in the middle of the room with your eyes closed, and saying "you can't see me"! :-D

Perhaps you should stop being a sponge and soaking up all the doom & gloom ;-) ........

As long as you refuse to read the article you aren't in a position to pass comment or debate because you haven't a clue what you're posting about. You can bury your head in the sand as long as you like but that won't make uncomfortable truths disappear.

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 4:19 PM

As long as you refuse to read the article you aren't in a position to pass comment or debate because you haven't a clue what you're posting about. You can bury your head in the sand as long as you like but that won't make uncomfortable truths disappear.

What's to debate? *-) .............

We've chosen our sides ;-) .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 4:34 PM

Everything is to debate. I assume that is why you keep adding your own comments. Taking sides doesn't prevent anyone listening to, or reading, opposing views. If they don't, they become ignorant.

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-04 6:15 PM

Everything is to debate. I assume that is why you keep adding your own comments. Taking sides doesn't prevent anyone listening to, or reading, opposing views. If they don't, they become ignorant.

There's nothing left to debate ;-) ........

I'm just doing my bit to disrupt the Remoaner propaganda machine >:-) .........

If I don't, they'll become arrogant :D .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 7:11 PM

Try reading it...then impress us with a mind-blowing composition of intelligent grammar rather than inane one liner tweet like sentences of half a dozen words padded out with streams of full stops and emoticons.

Are you using a phone to post on here with?

Guest pelmetman
Bulletguy - 2018-12-04 11:00 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 7:11 PM

Try reading it...then impress us with a mind-blowing composition of intelligent grammar rather than inane one liner tweet like sentences of half a dozen words padded out with streams of full stops and emoticons.

Are you using a phone to post on here with?

Why would I want to read the Biased outpourings of a Remoaner Journo? 8-) ..........

I'd rather polish my knobs ;-) ..........14 done......10 to go B-) ..........

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 7:11 PM...……………..There's nothing left to debate ;-) ........

You can't know that, because you don't debate.

You are therefore not in a position to disrupt anything.

You are confusing arrogance with reason! :-D

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-05 3:05 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-04 7:11 PM...……………..There's nothing left to debate ;-) ........

You can't know that, because you don't debate.

You are therefore not in a position to disrupt anything.

You are confusing arrogance with reason! :-D

You are confusing stopping Brexit ......with winning >:-) .........

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-12-05 4:33 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-05 3:47 PM...........You are confusing stopping Brexit ......with winning >:-) .........

No, I am not at all confused by those concepts. Stop Brexit and UK Plc wins. Same thing! :-D

So what about the 17.4 million? ;-) ..........I guess they don't matter *-) ..........and you call us arrogant 8-) ........

pelmetman - 2018-12-05 5:04 PM

pelmetman - 2018-12-05 3:47 PM...........You are confusing stopping Brexit ......with winning >:-) .........

No, I am not at all confused by those concepts. Stop Brexit and UK Plc wins. Same thing! :-D

So what about the 17.4 million? ;-) ..........I guess they don't matter *-) ..........and you call us arrogant 8-) ........

To the remain lot no ... The grievances they had/have with the EU as winners of the referendum dont count ... In the eyes of the remainers leavers are either too thick to understand the consequences of leaving or too thick to see through the lies ... They wanna be careful cos white van man will make Paris riots look peaceful if Brexit gets blobbed

Guest pelmetman
antony1969 - 2018-12-05 5:42 PM

To the remain lot no ... The grievances they had/have with the EU as winners of the referendum dont count ... In the eyes of the remainers leavers are either too thick to understand the consequences of leaving or too thick to see through the lies ... They wanna be careful cos white van man will make Paris riots look peaceful if Brexit gets blobbed

What gets me...... is they say that "Parliament has taken back control" ;-) ...........

Hmmmm........ I wonder who it is that puts them in control? :D ..........

The next election will be either interesting .......or....... payback time >:-) ........

Depending on what happens in a 114 days time :-| .........

pelmetman - 2018-12-05 6:13 PM

antony1969 - 2018-12-05 5:42 PM

What gets me...... is they say that "Parliament has taken back control" ;-) ...........

Hmmmm........ I wonder who it is that puts them in control? :D ..........

The next election will be either interesting .......or....... payback time >:-) ........

Depending on what happens in a 114 days time :-| .........

Remain or leave , Tory or Labour who trusts Parliament ??? ... In 50 years time they will write and talk about this time if Brexit gets blobbed as the turning point for the UK ... We might need that EU army here soon

Many have since smelled the coffee, woken up and Bregreting big time. Still a few knuckle dragging stragglers though such as the "massive" turnout for this pro-Brexit rally which attracted 10 sheep and a dog. Maybe folk heard Hopkins was coming so decided to stay away.

1188241640_HUGEBrexitdemo.JPG.d82fb283b2c000ff5090428c7a2a87ce.JPG

So what about the 17.4 million? ;-) ..........I guess they don't matter *-) ..........and you call us arrogant :-) ........

But I didn't, that is your favourite word! :-)

What matters to me is the economic health of the UK, not "winning".

Yes, 17.4 million was a 51% majority of the votes cast - but it was only 38% of the electorate, and 26% of the population. So the "Brexit won" claims are only true if very selectively applied.

What you are both pursuing is a personal "win" that would leave the majority of people worse off. What I am pursuing is a future that leaves the majority of people better off.

You need to declare that clearly when you say that another referendum would be un democratic. Then ask people what the want. If they then say they want Brexit, fine; but until Brexiters are honest about what they are pursuing the results of any referendum will be unsafe.

antony1969 - 2018-12-05 5:42 PM...……….. They wanna be careful cos white van man will make Paris riots look peaceful if Brexit gets blobbed

Well, that's really democratic, Antony! If you don't get your way, and make the UK worse off, you and your mates will riot. I imagine you'll be widely admired for that. Statues will be erected to you. Songs written about you. Poetry dedicated to you. Or not! :-D

Archived