What's the weather doing - in the Lakes?

Lizzy

Hubby and I are headed North on Monday [see thread in the walking section below] so am busy washing/ironing/packing ........ but I would sooo like to know what to expect. It's been hard drizzle here for a week with only patches of sun, no time to sit out and watch our chickens and too wet to pull up the weeds that are enjoying the rain.

It's over 10 years since we were there so wuld like to think we will see some of the scenery through warm sunshine *-)

Guest starspirit

It always rains in the Lake District.

How else do you think they keep all those - er - lakes?

Lizzy - 2007-05-17 1:59 PM Hubby and I are headed North on Monday [see thread in the walking section below] so am busy washing/ironing/packing ........ but I would sooo like to know what to expect. It's been hard drizzle here for a week with only patches of sun, no time to sit out and watch our chickens and too wet to pull up the weeds that are enjoying the rain. It's over 10 years since we were there so wuld like to think we will see some of the scenery through warm sunshine *-)

Lizzy,

Check the BBC weather page, you can do a 24hour, 5 day or monthly forecast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=2459

Guest starspirit

Not a lot of point in the Lakes is there, as it's always bloody raining somewhere up there and the chances are, sod's law being sod's law, that it will on your parade.

Just take yer waterproofs, wellies and a flask of hot drink to be able to enjoy the magnificent views of low cloud and rain sweeping across the fells.

Lizzy - 2007-05-17 1:59 PM Hubby and I are headed North on Monday [see thread in the walking section below] so am busy washing/ironing/packing ........ but I would sooo like to know what to expect. It's been hard drizzle here for a week with only patches of sun, no time to sit out and watch our chickens and too wet to pull up the weeds that are enjoying the rain. It's over 10 years since we were there so wuld like to think we will see some of the scenery through warm sunshine *-)

Or you get a 10 day forecast on this site - looks like you may need the wellies.

http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX1177

starspirit - 2007-05-17 8:53 PM Not a lot of point in the Lakes is there, as it's always bloody raining somewhere up there and the chances are, sod's law being sod's law, that it will on your parade. Just take yer waterproofs, wellies and a flask of hot drink to be able to enjoy the magnificent views of low cloud and rain sweeping across the fells.

And it never ever rains in Wales.....

starspirit - 2007-05-17 8:59 PM Of course it rains in Wales - just not as much as the Lakes!

Sorry Rich, but you're not going to like this -

Average annual rainfall in the Lakes - 1274mm

Average annual rainfall in Wales - 1397mm.

Get your wellies.....

Thanks y'all. Hubby waterproofed his leggings and boots last night *-) whilst I packed lots of crossword books and mags to read. Keswick is lovely, we used to stay in the town [self catering] when we had the spaniel ...... she loved it too :-D : first place was a 3rd floor attic room in Portinscale then we found a ground floor flat in the town ....... went there twice.

When we lived in Wales we would be sitting on the Prom at Aberystwyth in warm sunshine whilst the rest of the UK was tolerating heavy rain: or the other way round ........

*-)

It's off topic but for anybody taking a laptop away they might be interested in a few games that might keep you occupied when it's wet/cold etc 8-) 8-)

http://www.alldownloadgames.com/games/bookworm.html

http://www.bluechillies.com/details/4877.html

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Games/Puzzles/Desktop_Taipei.html

When I first took up computing I was looking for games and I was told the best way to find anything was to use a search engine. My grand daughter downloaded Google for me and I searched for "Adult Games" I thought my birthday/Christmas and new year had arrived.

The boss took one look and said download snakes and ladders/Ludo or I might do myself an injury with what was on offer.

Don

starspirit - 2007-05-17 8:59 PM

Of course it rains in Wales - just not as much as the Lakes!

once again the ill informed welsh prat is opening his ill informed mouth. if you dont like the weather dont come anywhere near us we well i for 1 wont be dissapointed

carioca - 2007-05-18 11:51 AM

starspirit - 2007-05-17 8:59 PM

Of course it rains in Wales - just not as much as the Lakes!

once again the ill informed welsh prat is opening his ill informed mouth. if you dont like the weather dont come anywhere near us we well i for 1 wont be dissapointed

definitely one for it's very own argument thread I think

B-)

after it's been edited again perhaps - or perhaps adrian just likes 'dissing'

*-) *-) *-)

If it's wet near the West coast, which it often is, look to the East coast - say North York Moors, instead.  Has been known to work!

This will keep Carioca happy too, 'cos then he'll get the whole of the lakes to himself, the Cumbrian tourist industry will fold, and he'll live on in perfect peace!  :-)

Even better than North York Moors - and if you're in the Lakes anyway, head north East over one of the nicest roads [as long as you don't want to make good time] from Penrith via Melmerby [bread shop] Alston [highest market town] looking over your shoulder occasionally and rain clouds permitting you can see Solway Firth and IoM, to Hexham - keeping going north into Northumberland - peaceful reasonably quiet - a much under rated county.

B-)

on second thoughts, forget all that above, keep away, you won't like the countryside, the rivers, Keilder forest - and as for the beaches tcchh and the little fishing villages, and the castles, and market towns ------ nahh don't go

:-> :-> :-> :-> :-> :-> :-> :->

"once again the ill informed welsh prat is opening his ill informed mouth. if you dont like the weather dont come anywhere near us we well i for 1 wont be dissapointed........ "

don't hijack my Thread for a slanging match, open your own

(!) (!) >:-(

I lived in Wales - see mention above - and I've been on holiday to the Lakes when we've had rain++, sunshine, hot weather ......... never been in the snow but as it's May, suppose there's still time ....... ;-)

Will leave packing until Monday morning ......... right now it's sunny but maybe that's lulling me into a false sense of security

(?)

Archived