What's your motorhome called?

Minstrel

Lythe German body dominates French underpinnings so "Helga" as in "Alo Alo".

My wife thinks it's a naff idea of course and prefers " 'arvey". (Yes I know it's a coachbuilt so cannot possibly be an RV but I'm not even going to try arguing!)

Like many other motorhomes she is often just referred to as "The Van" or "The Bus".

Bob

You don't need to argue with the Missus, a coachbuilt CAN be an RV - some of the US ones are recognisably "overcab" styles, with the original cab sticking out underneath.

As most people now know, our old wagon changed from just being "the van" to "Hannibal" in 2003, when in spite of his advancing years he successfully crossed the Alps.

there was some thought of transferring the name, and making the new one "Hannibal2," but (1) "Hannibal" earned that name and (2) the new van was clearly female, so we used the number plate and called her "Roxie."

Tony

LordThornber - 2008-04-15 9:56 AM

Apart from The Van, we actually christened her, (him?), Cygnet, for the close link to the registration number, just like BGD has I presume?

Martyn or Kofi if you prefer..

It's not an elderly VW Danbury pop-up top is it Martyn? Our first camper was known as "the Ugly Duckling" (which was really a cygnet - geddit?) because its plate was CYG ***T (I think it was 699, but can't remember for sure!). It would be nice to think it was still in service, but I somehow doubt it - we sold it in about 1990.

Tony

And mine is called Buddy. Cos it's more than just a van to me: it's an escape from what is a pretty rubbish life at the moment and it is a buddy.... it takes me to open countryside, provides me with shelter, peace and quiet, a stove to make a luvly cuppa tea and hopefully contentment in the future.

my wife karen used to call ours the outside toilet, she never got on with the lack of space, and once said there is as much space in our loo. why dont we all sit in the loo instead of the lounge when we are at home. bad timing having a mh and a baby at the same time

Guest Tracker
ROON - 2008-04-15 3:49 PM

And mine is called Buddy. Cos it's more than just a van to me: it's an escape from what is a pretty rubbish life at the moment and it is a buddy.... it takes me to open countryside, provides me with shelter, peace and quiet, a stove to make a luvly cuppa tea and hopefully contentment in the future.

Sorry to hear that your life is rubbish just now Joy - that's very sad and my thoughts are with you.

My life was non too wonderful a few years back but I, with help from others, did turn it round and I hope that you will turn yours around too.

Think positive and enjoy as there are still some very nice people about and I truly hope that contentment and happiness will soon return for you.

Awww. thank you those who commented on my van's name. I REALLY DO appreciate your remarks. They make the day brighter.

By the way, Buddy and I (not much showing of him/her though) are in Take a Break with my old mum who is starting to go a bit senile. Letters page. Flying the flag for motorhomes. :-D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived