Where's Clive got to?

Mel B

This Clive has been regularly visiting my very sick Mother in Law who sadly died yesterday at 1:45pm.

Seems terrible to say it but we are all very relieved for her as she had been ill since May and just seemed to go from one problem to another. She started going downhill seriously from Wed last week.

Have to go and sort out the certificate today which I gather is not too bad – just a bit more paperwork.

Anyone any ideas on how many copies to get? I seem to remember someone saying that it is best to have a few but how many? And we need a “green” (?) one for the Funeral Director?

Chaplain was very good - suggested that in view of the time of year we should book a funeral asap as they get busy just before Christmas. And that was correct! - Funeral is booked for the 22nd Dec - and that took a bit of juggling.

Thank goodness I rang yesterday after the Chaplains advice.

How sad for others though if dealing with it now they have to wait till after Christmas :-(

Sorry to hear your news Clive.

On the question of certificates, I think we got four when my Dad died a few years ago. I think the main "driver" is how many organisations you need to send certificates to in order to process probate of the estate. If you have too few then you have to wait for one organisation to return a certificate before you can send it to another organisation.

If I remember correctly, I think obtaining extra copies straight away is cheaper than obtaining extras at a later date. It's certainly quicker as the increased interest in family history has resulted in greater demand.

Graham

Thanks all

Especially re the Certificates Graham.

She had a lot of bits and pieces and so I think we will get 6 to be safe.

I do remember with my Dad when he died my Uncle who was executer had exactly the trouble you mention re having to get a certificate returned because we needed more than we had.

But I was not that involved as I am the younger son and so my brother and Uncle dealt with most of it.

Guest Tracker

Clive - so sorry to hear your sad news. Our condolences and sympathies to you all.

Many organisations will accept a certified copy of a certificate so if you know a suitably respected member of society who will oblige that saves a lot of time waiting for the return of originals.

Tracker - 2008-12-12 4:49 PM

Clive - so sorry to hear your sad news. Our condolences and sympathies to you all.

Many organisations will accept a certified copy of a certificate so if you know a suitably respected member of society who will oblige that saves a lot of time waiting for the return of originals.

Not quite right Richard, I'm afraid.

It's true for wills - my brother is a solicitor and was able to certify copies of Dad's will.

However the only way to obtain a certified copy of an entry in a death register is from the local register office concerned or from the General Register Office - see Here.

Copying of certificates is subject to strict controls, summarised Here. See especially point 8b.

Graham

Clive, I'm so sorry to hear of your news and hope you and your family are coping well, not easy I know.

We lost my Mum in Law 2 years ago on 7/12, and today I've been to a funeral for a chap I used to work with (I work with his daughter now), he sadly passed away 8 days ago. It's a horrible time of year in some ways as the number of those passing away seems to peak around now.

Take care

Mel B

XX

Archived