Why didn't Belgium lockdown sooner?........

Guest pelmetman

The rellies came back from RSA a couple of days back, their kids will in school next week, if it has evaded the test then they could well be spreading it.

From your link

Passengers trying to land in Holland after a long haul flight from South Africa were kept on tarmac today

Stark contrast to UK, where passengers flew into Heathrow and mingled with others, were not tested for virus

Seems to be saying we are being much too lax.

colin - 2021-11-26 9:31 PM

The rellies came back from RSA a couple of days back, their kids will in school next week, if it has evaded the test then they could well be spreading it.

From your link

Passengers trying to land in Holland after a long haul flight from South Africa were kept on tarmac today

Stark contrast to UK, where passengers flew into Heathrow and mingled with others, were not tested for virus

He wouldn't have got as far as your linked quote and if he did, he'd have "read it" as "Boris has Brexit Blighty fully protected" *-)

Bulletguy - 2021-11-26 11:03 PM

colin - 2021-11-26 9:31 PM

From your link

He wouldn't have got as far as your linked quote and if he did, he'd have "read it" as "Boris has Brexit Blighty fully protected" *-)

Skewered Him Again (lol)

There is now a rush to get back before quarantine.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/omicron-covid-variant-new-travellers-leave-south-africa-johannesburg-airport-flights-1322227

We now know that the flight into Schiphol had 61 positive cases despite them having being tested before the flight, so we can guess that similar are coming into UK, and they where freely mixing with those from other flights. I don't understand this waiting until Sunday before quarantine, if it's such a concern do it straight away.

Now to answer Dave's question in the thread title, it would seem that Belgium raised the alert as soon as they knew the patient had the Omicron variant.

pelmetman - 2021-11-26 6:17 PM

Well that's what the Squad would be saying about Boris if the first cases were here >:-) ...........

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10245459/Fears-Christmas-travel-ban-DELAY-new-Covid-strain.html

After all you'd think the home of the EU would have of got its act together after 2 years of Pandemic? *-) ........

"We have been made aware by @UKHSA of two UK cases of the Omicron variant. The two cases are linked and there is a connection with travel to southern Africa.

These individuals are self-isolating with their households while further testing and contact tracing is underway."

malc d - 2021-11-27 4:07 PM

Well that's what the Squad would be saying about Boris if the first cases were here >:-) ...........

We don't know if we have any cases - may be we just haven't found them yet. :-|

We do now, Malc: see CR's 2:11 post above, and his link to Javid's Tweet. Two (presumably confirmed) cases.

We don't know if we have any cases - may be we just haven't found them yet.

:-|

We now know of UK cases, what we don't know is if some came here earlier, it might well be that Belgium raising awareness has made UK check more PCR tests from RSA travellers.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10245459/Fears-Christmas-travel-ban-DELAY-new-Covid-strain.html

After all you'd think the home of the EU would have of got its act together after 2 years of Pandemic? *-) ........

Why didn't 'Boris' do something before it arrived here ?

Brian Kirby - 2021-11-27 4:43 PM

We don't know if we have any cases - may be we just haven't found them yet. :-|

We do now, Malc: see CR's 2:11 post above, and his link to Javid's Tweet. Two (presumably confirmed) cases.

So I see yes,

I missed out on that news because I heard Boris Johnson was due to appear on TV - so I switched off.

;-)

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-11-27 1:24 PM

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/omicron-covid-variant-new-travellers-leave-south-africa-johannesburg-airport-flights-1322227

We now know that the flight into Schiphol had 61 positive cases despite them having being tested before the flight, so we can guess that similar are coming into UK, and they where freely mixing with those from other flights. I don't understand this waiting until Sunday before quarantine, if it's such a concern do it straight away.

Now to answer Dave's question in the thread title, it would seem that Belgium raised the alert as soon as they knew the patient had the Omicron variant.

Except that one who tested positive for the new variant had never been to Africa 8-) ..........

pelmetman - 2021-11-27 8:30 PM

Except that one who tested positive for the new variant had never been to Africa 8-) ..........

Unless there's been further developments I haven't heard of, the patient had visited Egypt and came back through Turkey, FYI Egypt is in Africa.

Anyway that appears to be not our problem anymore, we have our own cases who have travelled back from RSA, last I heard it was up to 3, but haven't checked lately, I believe restrictions are now slowly beginning, starting with face masks in enclosed spaces.

p.s. I have family who are trying to emigrate out of RSA to Australia, this isn't going to help them, and I have more immediate worries with immune supressed family in this country. :-(

Guest pelmetman
colin - 2021-11-27 8:42 PM

Unless there's been further developments I haven't heard of, the patient had visited Egypt and came back through Turkey, FYI Egypt is in Africa.

Anyway that appears to be not our problem anymore, we have our own cases who have travelled back from RSA, last I heard it was up to 3, but haven't checked lately, I believe restrictions are now slowly beginning, starting with face masks in enclosed spaces.

p.s. I have family who are trying to emigrate out of RSA to Australia, this isn't going to help them, and I have more immediate worries with immune supressed family in this country. :-(

From what I've read the other patient hadn't left Belgium :-| ............

So at least the squad cant blame Boris for a change ;-) ..........

p.s......We have the same worries with my SIL and have tried our best now for 2 years to ensure we don't catch or pass the lurgy to her........Neverless I don't blame Boris or the EU for our situation :-| ..............

China was the source of this virus and the culprit >:-( ...........

There are two so far according to this;

One case has been located in the Chelmsford area and the other in Nottingham. The two cases are linked and there is a link to travel to Southern Africa.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-uk-cases-of-omicron-variant-identified

Bulletguy - 2021-11-27 10:15 PM

There are two so far according to this;

One case has been located in the Chelmsford area and the other in Nottingham. The two cases are linked and there is a link to travel to Southern Africa.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/first-uk-cases-of-omicron-variant-identified

It seems there maybe some confusion as originally it was listed as Brentwood and Nottingham, I had assumed on hearing Chelmsford this was another case. Whatever I'm betting there are other cases, certainly .gov thinks so and are trying to trace thousands of people, some of whom might have it.

Archived