Wild camping

cc.t

Hello out there… Me and mine are ex caravaners. We are due to retire in a couple of years and are considering, investing in a motorhome. To see if we are suited/like the motorhome way of life. We are hiring one, early next year to give it a trial run. We really like the idea of (I think they call it wild camping) not spending every night on a site. What I would really like to know are your thoughts on wild camping - pros and cons, does and don’ts and your experiences – good and bad. :-S Pre thanks for your imput...

This subject had a really good airing some weeks ago cc.t. If you go back to page 9 on the motorhome section, it will give you a good insight into the different views and opinions on wild camping. Have a look, and if you want to, perhaps you would like to add your own comments back on this thread. Howard.

We bought our motorhome a year ago after being caravanners for years too. It is used regularly thoughtout the year the same as we used our caravan. A few weeks ago we went to France for our annual trip, we spent 17 nights out and stayed at 14 different places overnight - and loved every minute of it. We only 'wild' camped once (by wild camping I mean not a designated stop for motorhomes) it was just a car park outside a tiny village in Normandy. You have just got to be organised about shopping and having enough water, and being in the right place at the right time to empty your waste. We only travelled two days not having an idea where we were going to stop on those evenings - but come 5pm, looked at the map and found the closest aire and went for it! But there are loads of other people on the mmm forum who do this all the time for months (lucky devils - our turn will come when we get to retire). Enjoy your hire - if you buy a motorhome, I doubt you will regret it. Just spend some time deciding which layout and engine size you will prefer. regards Carol

[QUOTE]cc.t - 2006-09-22 10:01 AM Hello out there… We really like the idea of (I think they call it wild camping) not spending every night on a site. What I would really like to know are your thoughts on wild camping - pros and cons, does and don’ts and your experiences – good and bad. :-S Pre thanks for your imput...[/QUOTE] We hardly ever 'wild-camp' in places that are not used by motorhomes as we don't feel comfortable from a security point of view. In France, Germany, Italy, Belgium, there are many designated overnight parking areas for Motorhomes, usually in the tourist areas. (Aires, Stellplatz) These vary enormously, some are free, some have a small charge, some are in town centres, some are great, some are gruesome. Most have facilities to empty / fill tanks. There are also some unauthorised stopovers in these countries where motorhomers congregate. In Holland you can only stay overnight on designated camp sites. In the U.K. there are very few designated overnight parking area outside camp sites - the thread that Howard refers to is good reading on this subject. We spend most of our motorhome holidays in France and have stayed on campsites on very few occassions. Unless you tow a car, a lot of campsites are not that convenient for Motorhomers as they tend to be some way out from town centres and other places of interest, whereas Aires tend to be sited close to the local attractions.

Thank you Carol and Robin. You both sound as though you enjoy your continental holidays. It seems that possibly, they cater more for the off site parking more over there than they do here. We never took the caravan abroad, so that will be on the list as soon as we have find are wheels – so to speak. Carol, since we decided we wanted a motorhome for are retirement, we have been looking at all the makes of vans. So by the time we do retire (two years off yet) hopefully we should have a good idea to what we want. Howard, like you said, I read through the motorhome section. Loved the banter, but not really a lot of tips for the beginner, apart form don’t drink in your motorhome if your not parked on a site, avoiding mister plod, but be polite if he comes across you!! And a lot on the definition of wild camping. Having said that I did like your quote:- “For myself it offers the opportunity to get away from overcrowded campsites and packed resorts, to places where you can hear yourself think and room to stretch out mentally and physically without tripping over next doors guy ropes”. Howard And starspirit Richard’s quote (but his plans never seem to go right for him!!). “To me wild camping is any form of longer term parking either by night or day for longer than just a break in any place where there is, a) no charge, b) no facilities, c) nothing to say that you can or cannot park. I of course also have my own rules of common sense regarding not making or being subjected to noise, not causing an obstruction, not being visually obtrusive (can't help being ugly!), no litter, no waste water etc”. To me it’s just finding that idyllic spot, stopping at what ever time of day it is. Setting up shop and moving on when the spirit moves you. Not on a service station on a motorway or a lay-by on a busy A road and not knowingly trespassing on some ones land. It's not avoiding paying fees but being independent for a short while… Cliff. :-D

[QUOTE]cc.t - 2006-09-22 8:55 To me it’s just finding that idyllic spot, stopping at what ever time of day it is. Setting up shop and moving on when the spirit moves you. Not on a service station on a motorway or a lay-by on a busy A road and not knowingly trespassing on some ones land. It's not avoiding paying fees but being independent for a short while… Cliff. :-D[/QUOTE]Finding that idyllic spot is becoming more and more difficult i,m afraid Cliff. For various reasons a lot of these places have now been closed off, but if you look carefully there are still places that offer peace and solitude. One thing I often do is ask locally if such places exist. Once they realise you are not a forerunner to a band of travellers, or may be a nuisance then they are usually only to glad to help, and quite often tell you of the local attractions and beauty spots that you might like to visit. Another option you may like to consider is Forresty Commision sites, or even the National Trust which I now believe offer the type of facilities you might be looking for. At least you may find that idyllic spot we speak of, as well as having peace of mind in the knowledge of having the right to be there plus relative security. Howard.

Thanks Howard.... I'll look into National Trust and Forestry Commission sites. I've toured Scotland quite a lot and know many idyllic spots. but like you - I have come to the conclusion, that despite all the wonderful place in England and Wales, these idyllic places for one reason or another, are few and far between. This must be the reason - for despite the 89 hits on this thread, There has been very little input. thanks again Howard.... happy motoring... Cliff.

Archived