Will you at least admit ......

StuartO

I’m getting really fed up of journalist asking question aimed at getting someone to “admit” something, so they can presumably run a headline along the lines of “Minister admits .....”. It makes the politicians unnecessarily defensive and sidetracks proper enquiry and discussion. 

There are going to be many counterproductive actions and negligent or foolish omissions which historians will be able to drag out in due course but our Country is in the middle of dealing with a big emergency and journalists have have a responsibility to be helpful too. Seeking opportunities to lay blame is not being helpful. 

It is, unfortunately, the level to which this country has sunk and is symptomatic of the other national disease, blame someone else, for whatever ill befalls many individuals.

Journalists are no longer interested in reporting the news but seek instead to sensationalise anything and everything so that they can gain what they believe is kudos and the great unwashed sleep easy in their beds knowing that everything is somebody else's fault.

Maybe this pandemic will change attitudes, but looking at history I doubt it.

Agree that these journo hacks seem more interested in trapping politicians and health/police experts into a commitment which they can then harp on about endlessly.

The daily BBC briefings are really showing up the hacks for what they are and their need to fill 24 hour news streams.

I continue to be amazed by the patient professionalism of the experts who could easily respond with a terse put down but don't.

I've worked with politicians all my career so know that they rarely commit to anything live unless it is doable such as getting statistics back to the hack. Why these hacks think that politicians can carry every statistic in their heads or on their briefing papers never ceases to annoy me.

Pity the covidiots are obviously not watching these briefings. I guess that the long sentences and no advert break make this a no no for them :-D

StuartO - 2020-04-12 11:22 AMI’m getting really fed up of journalist asking question aimed at getting someone to “admit” something, so they can presumably run a headline along the lines of “Minister admits .....”. It makes the politicians unnecessarily defensive and sidetracks proper enquiry and discussion. 

There are going to be many counterproductive actions and negligent or foolish omissions which historians will be able to drag out in due course but our Country is in the middle of dealing with a big emergency and journalists have have a responsibility to be helpful too. Seeking opportunities to lay blame is not being helpful. 
Well Carole thinks its important we hold them to account in real time but its impossible with any real data. After the event is too late. Not saying I agree or disagree but she might have a point.https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1249247210287570944

Barryd999 - 2020-04-12 12:32 PM
StuartO - 2020-04-12 11:22 AMI’m getting really fed up of journalist asking question aimed at getting someone to “admit” something, so they can presumably run a headline along the lines of “Minister admits .....”. It makes the politicians unnecessarily defensive and sidetracks proper enquiry and discussion. 

Well Carole thinks its important we hold them to account in real time but its impossible with any real data. After the event is too late. Not saying I agree or disagree but she might have a point.https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/1249247210287570944
She's right. Not just government but also it's media cheerleaders.The DM led a campaign of hate and distrust against the NHS, the Sun dehumanised the many immigrants who kept the care system going despite chronic underfunding, and the Express who railed against the sort of foreign aid that could have helped stop this pandemic in its tracks now need a narrative to replace any discussion of how utterly wrong they were.Not to mention the very real risk of a discussion and/or inquiry about how a strategy that 'follows the science' has succeeded where one that had its roots in Social Darwinist right wing ideology pandering to the worst prejudices of the uneducated has proven a total failure.

Reporters in America seemingly have a harder task with Trumps Covid 19 updates. They ask questions but instead of answers Trump spouts out how well he is doing in the ratings. Then recommends drugs that health officials don’t recommend arguing with his own health and scientific advisers.

Bulletguy - 2020-04-12 1:51 PM
Barryd999 - 2020-04-12 12:32 PM

She's right. Not just government but also it's media cheerleaders.The DM led a campaign of hate and distrust against the NHS, the Sun dehumanised the many immigrants who kept the care system going despite chronic underfunding, and the Express who railed against the sort of foreign aid that could have helped stop this pandemic in its tracks now need a narrative to replace any discussion of how utterly wrong they were.Not to mention the very real risk of a discussion and/or inquiry about how a strategy that 'follows the science' has succeeded where one that had its roots in Social Darwinist right wing ideology pandering to the worst prejudices of the uneducated has proven a total failure.
The Daily Mail led a campaign of "hate and distrust against the NHS" ... ??? ... Listen , to ask you to provide proof of a papers hate towards the NHS , any papers hate wold be futile as you wont and cant ... Before posting just look at your content and just take a second to read it back ... Its truly vile

But wouldn't it be useful if politicians did admit they had messed up about testing, which is why Uk is leading Europe in levels of infection? that we are really short of ppe, and they have failed to get what stocks we had delivered? that social isolation rules came in too late? I've lost count of the number of times the health secretary has contradicted himself. If they were honest even to themselves, let alone the public they purport to serve, things may not have got so bad. Yes, journalists are always after the next scoop, but they are an integral part of our democracy, at a time when we are in crisis and parliament is not sitting to bring the government to account.

Why don't you want the Government held to account for all these deaths?

Ask yourself if you would have been making these excuses for Dianne Abbot if she had been PM.

I gave up listening to the Downing Street Daily Briefing, because ministers never answer the questions - its nothing more than political spin.

Britain has the advantage of being surrounded by water and having the most notice of the virus being on itsway, and yet still we are heading for the greatest number of preventable deaths - when you count them all, not just the hospital deaths in the official statistics.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/12/uk-coronavirus-deaths-preventable-government-account

BoJo has the media in his pockets, so they have changed the subject to anything other than his mishandling of the crisis.

They have got the plebs spying on each other, blaming each other for allegedly not following the confusing and contradictory advice given by ministers - same old Tory Divide and Rule :-S

John52 - 2020-04-12 10:58 PM

Ask yourself if you would have been making these excuses for Dianne Abbot if she had been PM.

I gave up listening to the Downing Street Daily Briefing, because ministers never answer the questions - its nothing more than political spin.

Britain has the advantage of being surrounded by water and having the most notice of the virus being on itsway, and yet still we are heading for the greatest number of preventable deaths - when you count them all, not just the hospital deaths in the official statistics.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/12/uk-coronavirus-deaths-preventable-government-account

BoJo has the media in his pockets, so they have changed the subject to anything other than his mishandling of the crisis.

They have got the plebs spying on each other, blaming each other for allegedly not following the confusing and contradictory advice given by ministers - same old Tory Divide and Rule :-S

"same old Tory Divide and Rule" ??? ... The same Tory Party thats prolly just had more working class vote for them than ever before

Birdbrain - 2020-04-13 12:16 PM

"same old Tory Divide and Rule" ??? ... The same Tory Party thats prolly just had more working class vote for them than ever before

or probably not, since the majority didn't vote Tory but their vote was divided as well - divided amongst other parties all calling for a referendum on the Brexit deal.

Yeah and why was that? The great Brexit swindle. It seems the worse it gets though the more support Johnson and the Tories get. Am I missing something here?

Barryd999 - 2020-04-13 1:01 PM

Yeah and why was that? The great Brexit swindle. It seems the worse it gets though the more support Johnson and the Tories get. Am I missing something here?

I'd say by the look of it you are missing daylight , fresh air , company , certainly a good wash and a big dose of reality ... You did ask ... Presume that grey cloud hasn't lifted yet ???

Birdbrain - 2020-04-13 3:07 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-04-13 1:01 PM

I'd say by the look of it you are missing daylight , fresh air , company , certainly a good wash and a big dose of reality ... You did ask ... Presume that grey cloud hasn't lifted yet ???

Just had a bath!

Archived