Windscreen stain

flicka

Does anyone get staining on their windscreen from the Coachbuilt overhang dripping water onto it.

What is the best way to remove it.

I'm only short so it's a long reach to get anywhere near the top of the screen

Ordinary screen wash seems to spread it around more on my Bessacarr Low Profile E410.

Is it just a problem with low profile which do not extend so far forward.?

Do the external Sceen cover get stained, as they appear to be a solution to the problem.

Flicka

Chas,

is that the stuff you polish on and as the rain hit's it it is like bubbles on your windscreen ... just run's off like you have wax on it .

If so good stuff my friend done my car screen with it whe it rained it was fantastic it just rolled off ?

• 2 weeks later...
chas - 2007-01-15 9:38 AM

Hi Michele- Yes thats it, really works, you can not use it on the plastic windows of the van though, and it does need to be reapplied now and then, but in heavy rain it just flys off, without the help of wipers. chas

Chas,

Can you please clarify:-

Is it the STAIN, RAIN or RAIN-X which just flies off ???

Hi Happywanderer- Rain X is formulated to cut down the surface tension on glass, so IMO rain/bugs/ and stain water marks are easy to remove or wash off . It does of course need reapplying after a few weeks if you use your wipers a lot, but it is recommended to use your screen wash to save to much rubbing on the windscreen. It is of course the rain that beads up and flys off the screen when driving. chas

Guest starspirit

If you can reach the overcab enough to give it a darned good clean up and wax polish that will help cut down the staining which seems to come from paint or gel coat pigment being leeched out of the surface by rain - acid rain maybe?

I've always found Jif (now Cif or the own label versions) to be a cheap and effective caravan and windscreen cleaner (inside and out) but do use it with care as it can be quite abrasive and follow it with a good waxing.

Cellulose thinners is quite good on windscreens too but DO NOT get it on paintwork, although used judiciously it sure does shift tar marks.

Hi Starspirit

As you say it appears to come from the gel coat or paint.

Reaching the overcab is a problem. Extension arm sponge/mop is OK for the worst, but still needs further cleaning. On a Step ladder I can get at the front curve from each side but the centre foot is out of reach.

Certainly can't reach with steps in front of the Van and leaning over the bonnet.

Don't fancy laying on the van roof and reaching down, can see myself sliding down the front, cartoon style.

Would make a great animated Avtar, though !!!! *-) Or maybe to submit to Harry Hill's home video show. At least that would pay for a

Next time I will have to try the trelise platform ladder, but doubt it will increase my reach very much.

Van is a Bessacar Low Profile so there is not much jutting forward. How does everyone else do it? Ther must be an easier way.

Flicka

Archived