Winterised Vans

michele

We have a 760 and use it all year round, we were down in south wales last new years, we keep the heating on low when we go out and the van is lovely and warm for us getting back, we also use a blow heater blowing into the cab area when we are in the van. The 760 has under floor water tanks with a pipe from our heating blowing warm air onto it stopping it freezing up. Contact swift to give you peace of mind they will be able to give you the best advice. I'm sure other members who have travelled to colder climates will give you more advice as well.

Michele

Your best bet will be to contact Bessacar for any reccommendations they may have. 

"Fully winterised" is a bit of a loose term, but to qualify a van should have inboard waste and fresh water tanks, preferably an inboard habitation battery, and all waste and water conduits also inboard.  By inboard I mean fully enclosed by the insulated walls, floor and roof. 

If the waste tank is outboard it should be both insulated and heated. 

Any waste/water conduits that are outboard should be insulated and trace heated. 

Alpine conditions are (generally) far more severe for longer than anything we (generally) experience in UK.  Night time temperatures around -20C are not unusual, and daytime temperatures may not rise above 0C for days on end.  Strong wind in mountain areas is to be expected with chill factors adding to the severity of the climate. 

Heating is likely to be required on a 24 hour basis, unless you are out of the van for extended periods, and even then, unless the weather is mild, it may need to be left running on a low setting.  All planning should be on that basis. 

If you intend staying long you are unlikely to hold out on UK gas bottles and should plan to acquire one bottle, with appropriate connector, locally. 

You should also check the site power limits for any sites you propose visiting.  Even in the alps some only allow 3-5A, which limits your use of supplementary electrical heating. 

You will absolutely need external, not internal, high thermal efficiency windscreen and cab window covers.  Without these you may find the cab area uninhabitable.

You will need to manage condensation carefully, and ensure you ventilate the van thoroughly at least once per day by opening all the windows wide for 10 minutes or so.  Taking showers in the shower block will help with this, as well as reducing the frequency with which you need to take on water. 

You may find water supply is a problem on aires, a number turn off to prevent frost damage.  

If camped on snow, some build a snow wall around the van to prevent the wind blowing under it so readily, which they claim keeps the floor warmer.  If on snow, remember to move the power cable daily to prevent it becoming frozen in.

You will probably find some kind of porch awning a huge advantage, so there is somewhere external, but sheltered, to take off wet/snowy boots/clothing.  You should find there are heated drying rooms for wet gear as well as heated shower/toilet/wash up etc blocks.

My final comment, without knowledge of your van or Bessacar, is that UK built vans are not, generally, regarded as winterised.  Dethleffs seems to have the best reputation for this in Europe, because of their insulation standards, but you still have to buy a number of "packages" before you get the full monty.  Others (not exhaustive) available in UK are Bavaria, Benimar, Burstner, Cathago, Eura Mobil, Hymer, Knaus, Liaka, Pilote, and Rapido, but not all models, and not necessarily as standard.  All the cheap ones, then!  But, the extra attention to detail is, to some extent, what you pay for.

However, if you prepare carefully you should be OK, and if it gets too much you can generally retreat down the mountains for gentler conditions.  The exception, for which you'll just need to keep a sharp eye on the weather forecasts, is heavy snow, or worse, a blizzard, which will just nail you to the spot until it blows out and the roads are passable again.

Take care.

Michele

If you have internal screens as well as external screens, take them with you, the double layer of insulation will help quite a bit. Also, take some good quality gaffer/duct tape and put it over the vents in the bottom of the cab doors, and on the outer edge as well - you'll find some vent grids there if you look for them, this will stop a lot of cold air coming in, similarly it also comes in through where the seat-belts thread up into the cab.

It might also be an idea to take some woolly hats to wear in bed - I jest not! It really does help keep you warm when the temperature drops outside and the only thing exposed is your noggin!!! Don't forget the bed socks either, when you want to trot to the loo in the night it keeps your feet nice and toasty, nothing worse than cold feet in bed ... my husband objects to me warming them on him, don't know why though!

Enjoy yourself chuck! :-)

At the moment the wind chill factor in Chamonix is -16c this week it has been between -5c - -9c most days with a wind chill of up to -18c no snow forcast yet you can check to weather and snow reports on chamonet.com

I usually check every week as my son and his wife live in Chamonix Mont Blanc

We have been out in January and its not unusual to have over 1mtr of snow overnight its a fantastic place out of this world you have got to go up the Mere De Glace and into the ice caves dug into the glacier :->

Cheers one and all for that kelly don't suppose you would know the nearest hospital just incase leaving tomorrow 12ish will look see if you reply .... Just for the littleone incase of status . I hope not .

thanks brain Op's brian dyslexic or what ?

Merry crimbo everyone. ;-)

My son has had a few mishaps snowboarding and goes to the medical centre in Chamonix but I think theres a really good hospital in Chamonix thats where the helicopters take the casualties off the mountains.

If you get chance you must go up the Aiguille De Mide its 3842 mtrs above sea level and if you get the cable car across the Vallee Blanche you will end up in Italy its well worth the money the cable car starts in Chamonix

Hope you have a good time we will not get chance to get over until late spring go to the tourist info in Chamonix they are really helpfull and you can log on to the internet for free if you take your laptop and also in Macdonalds.

merry christmas Kelly :-> :->

kelly58 - 2006-12-23 3:59 PM

If you get chance you must go up the Aiguille De Mide its 3842 mtrs above sea level and if you get the cable car across the Vallee Blanche you will end up in Italy its well worth the money the cable car starts in Chamonix

merry christmas Kelly :-> :->

Please be careful if you venture outside of the Cable Car station at the top of the Aiguille De Mide, it leads onto a ridge, which is very narrow, precipitous and exposed.(especially if it's windy)

Not the place without the correct equipment - Winter Mountain Climbing Boots and Crampons.

OK inside the station itself and the views are spectacular.

Flicka

Mel B - 2006-12-22 7:16 PM

Michele

If you have internal screens as well as external screens, take them with you, the double layer of insulation will help quite a bit. Also, take some good quality gaffer/duct tape and put it over the vents in the bottom of the cab doors, and on the outer edge as well - you'll find some vent grids there if you look for them, this will stop a lot of cold air coming in, similarly it also comes in through where the seat-belts thread up into the cab.

Enjoy yourself chuck! :-)

Don't get too carried away and block up the gas drop out vents

Thnaks guy's Cheers Kelly you never know .

Just having a quick Wifi free in the camp resturant have not really ventured out yet we are hoping to tomorrow really cold campsite quite good.

will try tomorrow sorry have to go now back to swop with the husbannd and babysitting duties nice xmas everyone ;-)

Archived