Women Civil Servants

W3526602

I don't fit your criteria being a woman civil servant who technically resigned on marriage in 1972 but remained in employment until 2000. I'm just curious as to what your query is about. As if I haven't got any work to be getting on with!

women used to qualify for a dowry provided they had worked for CS for a set number of years, that deal ceased in the early 70s - it was linked - somehow - to the qualifying period for pension rights -

a bit of useless information - presumably has something to do with the query

(?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?) (?)

B-)

Hi,

My wife was an established civil servant from 1962 till she married me in 1965 and resigned to accompany me to Malaya. She was able to aggregate that service with any future service for pension purposes, as her resignation was connected with marriage. A man would have just lost the lot, despite his salary being abated by 8.5% as a silent contribution to his non-contributory pension..

She was re-instated back into the Civil Service in 1969, but resigned again in 1971 to have a baby. She did not work the Sick Leave scam. At that point, she lost her pension entitlement for both periods of service.

We are still fighting this, and wondered if anybody else has similar, or dis-similar experiences? The rules changed in 1972.

She rejoined the Civil Service in 1976, and managed to avoid further pregnancies until she retired in 2003.

sorry 602 but I think they drew a big thick line in 1972, looks like you're on the wrong side, although in theory if she didn't claim the dowry she may have a case - although it sounds as tho you were told at the time that all service credits would be lost

B-)

Hi Twooks,

She did not ask for, nor was she offered the marriage gratuity. Her understanding at the time was that a resignee with between two and five years service was entitled to a gratuity. We are now being told that gratuities were only paid to those with over six years service.

I noticed recently that a woman could resign, claim the gratuity, and immediately be re-employed without losing anything. But if there was a break in service, she did lose out.

The only advice my wife was given when she resigned for the second time, was not to resign....in case the baby was stillborn. She was not aware that she had lost her pension until well into her third period of service, when a computer print out did not show her earlier service. She queried this, and was told it was because she had resigned twice. Our argument is that at the minimum, she should have retained her pension entitlement for her first period of service. The Civil Service appear, to us, to have not followed their own rules, but of course they are the only people to have access to the rule book (1965 version)

I understand that many women were persuaded to accept a marriage gratuity, only to find out years later that they had forfeited their pension by doing so.

We will fight on until somebody can shows us the rules to say they were right.

Archived