Wonderful NHS

michele

Now I can not go into the polotics of all this because I truely dont understand but the country has gone to the dogs and so have peoples morals .

Another whole week of the NHS wonderful . I have not been well myself thought that I had earache and swollowed a whole course of Amoxil and loads of pain killers . At the end of the week I thought to myself it's my tooth so I got an emergency appoitment and she cant find nothing wrong either so another course of antibiotics .

Not feeling to well all week and on top on that nursing the little one who is really not to good. The consultant phones and tells me you dont come in now as you have a rest why do you stay . So I tell her the truth. The child has no voice only us .

The nurses avoid disabled children we must have the black death or the plague & I continue my story that the other night when I got there she was sitting in pooh yes pooh. She insist that I stay home and get some rest this Consultant has dealt with the school and the children and has been along side us for 5 years now

I walked into the room and it hit me wafting in the air lovely..........

I said to the nurse fully trained child. Can you not smell that ?

Oh she said whilst watching a really intelectual programme not (wags Boutiques) I thought I could smell something ! ....I lost it she could see by my face I never said a word but my body language was enough.

I am discusted that alot of these young children because that's what alot are are only in it for the uniform ... Before anyone jumps on the bandwagon no I am not slating all nurses just seems to be a few and only a few at my end.

So tonight I think great a night off could do with my own bed and Iget there at 6 oclock with the intention of just washing and playing untill 8ish then getting her off to sleep. I,m greeted by a nurse that say's Michele we dont have the nurses to stay here the night with her we have sick children 2 apparently really sick on the ward . She explains that the Consultant has phoned and has said that the little one has to have one on one nursing . I said look its not up to meto argue with the Consultant if you need more nurses you will have to do what you do phone an agency phone the ward manager but just out of interest how sick does she have to be before you clas her as sick is RISK OF SUDDEN DEATH not sick enough for you ?. She was very nice and went off to get the Matron at home and ask for advice. She came back with the answer we never knew that that was the diagnosis RUBBISH it was in Jan Feb now March and it wont change over night .... The other nurses face was hitting the floor you can just see they hate it .. the whole point of writing this is what happened to NURSING why have they only got 2 nurses and 1 auxillary on a childrens ward with 20 odd beds and children seriously ill.

The country has gone to the dogs I keep laughing thinking it's me I 've gone bloody mad . I then met an old Matron from Theatre where I used to work she said it's bloody madness Michele and they are all kids our generation dont want to nurse no more no respect no pay but obviously in our day it was done by the Royal College of Nursing and you got proper training . Now it's done at east anglia college and they are not trained bu Nurses matrons ,Sisters just, teachers on paper ?....It must be me It has to be me. well I tried to leave at 8 and at ten oclock I,m still sitting there being avoided and it is plainly and painly obvious that know one wants to look after my child .. Although as stated she is one on one ..So I ask who's looking after her and one says I am that was 8 at 10 she still was not with me . Which is my other question what has happened to treating people as human beings I am furious that people are so bloody ignorant and there for the grace of god go them ... I hope to god that it never happens to them why do people treat disabled people with no respect dignity or think that they are something from another bleeding planet..............

IT's FUBAR ...............Stuuf that hospital and woe betide anyone who dares to look at a disabled person in front of me or a person in the wrong way who is sick do your bloody job and nurse if you dont want to get out of it.

...........Apart from now we have a generation of kids youngsters not having any empathy feeling undertanding I mean what does cancer mean to a 20 year old nothing because at twenty your invisable it wont get you will it . So how can they understand why if they do nursing are they not on rotation with disabled people ..........its defnately FUBAR . IMO

Stuff the politicians .... Get the nurses give them money run the NHS properly and if there no good sack em. But make it a job they would want to have in the first place like it used to be in my day before it was all knackred... Rant over one disatisfied customer.

Well, I hope you feel better Michelle.

I retired from NHS 10yrs ago, and have needed their "services" since, only to find it has deteriorated so much, I have had to resort to letters of complaint to Chief Execs, but all I got back was a list of platitudes and excuses.

Would not have happened in my time, believe me. >:-)

when i was in hospital four years ago there were a lot of philopino (probbaly spelt that wrong) and they said that they came here because they wanted to work for the best health service in the world, only to find that it was worse here than at home.

pete

A long long time ago I did a degree in microbiology. Since then I have moved onto other things but I do remember microbiologists saying that putting sick, immunocompromised patients into big hospital units rather than smaller geographically isolated units was a bad thing because doing so will select a superbug.

But the bean counters ignored the good advice and look at the result.

On top of this the good practice of "barrier nursing" went out the window and antibiotics used routinely to control infection.

The result is the dirty wards and people dying of hospital evolved infections.

What is said above about the competence of NHS staff is sadly reflected across the whole of the NHS - not just the truly appalling circumstances as outlined above.

And the funny thing? - If you took all the employees NIC's and the money the Government has thrown at the NHS, there is enough to pay the premiums for every individual and family for a top notch private medical insurance policy.

It is not the answer I know, but it does put the money we all pay into the NHS via taxes and NIC's into context. Especially as that money is used to provide substandard service and an infrastructure such that "super-bugs" such as MRSA et al are an inevitable consequence.

Shoving loads of sick people into one big building, then shutting all the doors and windows and using air conditioning to make sure that the same "dirty" air is used over and over again was predicted to cause such problems way back in the 1960's.

But the accountants knew better. :-(

Back in Jan we had one of our residents (learning disabilties) in our local Hospital for 5 days, he was in a side ward as he needed 2 - 1 staffing in all that time his romm was not cleaned.

My Mother was a nurse started in the days before NHS and Matrons that had you standing to attention before going in the ward. I bet she is turning in her grave.

When I broke my ankle in Cyprus in Jan I had two sessions in hospital for treatment the first from arriving to having examination, treatment and leaving approx one and a quater hours, next day back for check and new cast again abour the same time. Came back home went to local Hospital to see the consultant examination and new cast over three hours.

On the news last night a guy has Cancer NHS wont pay for treatment as it cost £5000 every three weeks, They will only cover £2000 so he says I will pay the extra, oh no you cant do that you will have to pay the lot, so that what he is doing.

Get rid of the Managers and bring back the Nursing staff says I..

David

They have brought back the Matron...........But some are to soft .

I know times have changed but you need one like an army sergeant

to have respect and the nurses standing to attention .

sack half of these what I call DESK GRIPERS !

Tonight the lifts won't work you should see all these old people some in wheelchairs how are they going to get up and down.

1 thermometre on the childrens ward.....BUT wait for it

Building a new canteen .....well priority's isn't it..

But the best one is borrowing my cot each time because they have nothing that is any good ....... Look at the damage to the safespace from january This piece of equipment cost only £2000. It is totally ripped and damaged ,this is what I need for her and every day our lifes wouldn't run without it...She rely's on it and so do I to make sure she is safe.

They have a new bed system they now hire the beds in .

The problem is how do you explain disabled but mobile .

How do you say NO, she can not go in one of your baby cot's she doesn't fit she is 11 .

How do you say she won't fit in your bed even with cot sides on because she comes out over the top and will head butt the floor..especially once doped up to the eye balls and it is not possible to communicate your fear to her. I give up so once again they have the cot and I have to do it for the sake of the child I don't want her or anyone hurt.

Just makes me so wild and do they respect it NO. The new panel only came last saturday and already we are back . I have left the old panel on as I cannot afford for them to damage again even though it was in error .

they have no understanding of how important this is to everyday living and independance for this family.

But yet on the website they promote diversity cultural awareness .

Even promote that the meat and two veg in the canteen conforms to Halal standards........But no bloody nurses and no bed & cots and nothing for the disabled .Wild or what........

They have brought back the Matron...........But some are to soft .

I know times have changed but you need one like an army sergeant

to have respect and the nurses standing to attention .

sack half of these what I call DESK GRIPERS !

Tonight the lifts won't work you should see all these old people some in wheelchairs how are they going to get up and down.

1 thermometre on the childrens ward.....BUT wait for it

Building a new canteen .....well priority's isn't it..

But the best one is borrowing my cot each time because they have nothing that is any good ....... Look at the damage to the safespace from january This piece of equipment cost only £2000. It is totally ripped and damaged ,this is what I need for her and every day our lifes wouldn't run without it...She rely's on it and so do I to make sure she is safe.

They have a new bed system they now hire the beds in .

The problem is how do you explain disabled but mobile .

How do you say NO, she can not go in one of your baby cot's she doesn't fit she is 11 .

How do you say she won't fit in your bed even with cot sides on because she comes out over the top and will head butt the floor..especially once doped up to the eye balls and it is not possible to communicate your fear to her. I give up so once again they have the cot and I have to do it for the sake of the child I don't want her or anyone hurt.

Just makes me so wild and do they respect it NO. The new panel only came last saturday and already we are back . I have left the old panel on as I cannot afford for them to damage again even though it was in error .

they have no understanding of how important this is to everyday living and independance for this family.

But yet on the website they promote diversity cultural awareness .

Even promote that the meat and two veg in the canteen conforms to Halal standards........But no bloody nurses and no bed & cots and nothing for the disabled .Wild or what........This is not the correct picture it is only half this size, but we have a totally ripped panel .........

This is the damage sorry guy's best I could do .. Zip is open because its broken ripped open won't close knackred FUBAR............MAD!

1365871367_safespacecot.jpg.e81c61d4c1f3be319b75171fd516833f.jpg

safespace.jpg.3c6c13cabf0a546e1be9804184bf6f69.jpg

It happns at the older end too :-( Mum watched a consultant berate an OAP because he kept wetting the bed - because the Nurses on that Ward never answered the bells (!) (!) (!) - this patient was 80, he was there because he needed care that isn't availalbe in the community and what benefit would an old man get from wetting the bed! Had I been on the Ward at that moment I would have wiped the floor with the Consultant! He was telling the man off because 'his Nurses were fed up with changing the bed' ........ all this said in front of visitors and patients in a 6 bedded Ward at King's Lynn in Feb 2006.

I have joined Stop Elder Abuse Campaign. It's time this Government woke up to the fact that Nursing is too much up it's own backside. Time we got back to people who care, who can give care, but who maybe can't pass exams: instead of promoting staff who have the exams but no caring spirit. WHY WON"T THEY LISTEN TO MUM'S of sick or needy children: or my Mum when she asked for Dad to have a urine bottle - it was fetched for him but placed at the end of the table rather than close so that Dad could use it GRRRR! I could write a book but would probably end up in Court.

It is down to Politics! It is down to not being listened too. And where are the Consultants in all this - they must be aware of the needs and should be pushing for changes or threatening strike action !!!!!

{{{{ MICHELLE }}}} [i am an ortophaedic secretary who won't mince her words ........]

by staying silent we [can't remember the rest of the quote] ......

Guest Frank Wilkinson

The myth that we have one of the world's best health services is only held in the U.K. where we've been indoctrinated to believe this.

According to a report, which was conducted in Northern Ireland, published today on the BBC's website, and I quote:

One in 20 patients in Northern Ireland catches an infection while in hospital, according to a new survey.

The survey suggests patients in Musgrave Park in Belfast are the most likely to catch an infection.

The rate of infection among patients there - 11% - is double the Northern Ireland average.

The next highest infection rate is at the Causeway hospital in Coleraine. Nearly 8% of patients there had an infection when the survey was done.

I have no idea where the faults lie, either with government policy or with the NHS itself, but I do know that my own father went into hospital for a very minor surgical procedure, caught a serious infection, which they claimed was septicaemia and shortly afterwards died as a result of this infection.

If he hadn't gone into hospital, he would, I have no doubt, still be alive today as he was a fit man and otherwise healthy.

Pardon me if I'm not too impressed by our National Health Service. The sooner it's abolished and privatised the quicker it will reform.

I think you may be right there Frank I for one am very discusted with the service the other night I said she's cold I mean wouldn't you be if you were out of it and your body wasn't moving ?

i said I have put on her socks the nurse said rubbing her arms .....Yes I felt a little cold as well umh ? I wonder where lots of them go for these frontal lobe op's because they certainly shouldn't be nursing kids . They couldn't nurse the far end of a fart .... Not all mind you I 'll stick with the ones around 38 years old and upwards the kids are no good...they have not a clue . :'( That particular nurse went on to say she was trained childrens nursery nurse yeah right I wonder who they used to interview her they want bloody shooting ...

On the subject of infections - when my son was in hospital some time ago with a badly fractured ankle (Calcanium bone in three bits!) he was transferred from Salisbury Hosp to Southampton.

He was put in a side ward on his own because he had arrived from another hospital. Next to his room was another with a lady who actually had an MRSA infection.

The nurses and staff were great - always using alcohol dispencers etc when entering these rooms.

THEN!!!! - A technician comes in from the company that runs the TV/Telephone "rip-off" things (the things that there has been so much negative media coverage on of late) that are on "arms" so that patients can watch TV make calls etc.

We watch him in horror as he walks from device to device, never ONCE cleaning his hands with the alcohol provided and actually leaves my sons room then goes into the room next door where the lady with the MRSA infection is - does what he has to do with her machine then proceeds to do the same with all the devices on the open ward!

We immediatly tell the Nurses at the nurses station and were told -

"Sorry we have no authority over people like that"

And people wonder why the infection rates in hospital are so high, difficult to iradicate and underline the lie that we have "the best health service in the world.

We don't - we have thrown it away by allowing financial issues to be of higher importance than common sense and medical knowledge. :-(

Hi,

My next door neighbour (65) broke his arm falling off a ladder. He made his own way into hospital where he waited in A&E for 10 hours, then he was put into a bed...and kept there for three days before they operated. Reason? There wasn't a theatre available. He offered to come home, and return when they called him. No, if he left the ward, he would go to the bottom of the list when he came back.

In the next breath they say they cannot accept patients because there are not enough beds.

GPs are expecting £100,000 per year for working social hours.Pay then £50,000, get twice as many GPs, and relieve them of the stress through overwork.

When I was a secretary the Sister was in charge of each Ward. I think you will find "Sorry we have no authority over people like that" is a cop out as the hospital has a 'duty of care' to all the people who visit the premises. If a contractor is not being careful, the hospital can - and should - order the company off site.

Where my husband works there is a site-manager who liases with contractors and the site-manager has the final say. A contractor drove on using his mobile phone just before c.mas and was instantly dismissed by the site-manager under health and safety!

I would have tackled the contractor myself - it probably only needs pointing out in a tactful way ....... but hey, I'm mid-50s and not afraid to stick my oar in

*-)

Lizzy ,

I just find on the whole that when it's time to go I hope to god I go quick .

I just have a problem with knowing more than the kids maybe it's life experience call it what you want but it is so frightening watching these kids .

I Find it so heart breaking when I go, normally I am there all the time but lately due to my husbands shifts and having the other three to look after I have not been staying it's taken them years to get used to her anyone would think she was going to bite . They sit looking expecting the cot to do the work for them ?.

Because its a massive safe space they have loads of room to go in it with her .Other than changing a nappy wouldn't you think they would climb in and interact NO.

It really worries me the silly things that you have to point out to them like she needs her nappie doing and she is cold or has she eaten today had a drink . They have her buggy and a roof garden I would of though for the sake of the child with one on one care that they could of least put her in her buggy and give her 10minutes fresh air NO it's not about nursing anymore it's about paperwork cups of tea and chatting ... Believe you me I watch them .

The other thing I dont understand is why only three on nights but atleast 13 on days ?. do they not think people come to Hospital of a night?.

What a weird situation we find ourselfs in these day's

Well, this will be the generation that is nursing us GOD HELP US ALL!

Unless it's just bad luck and others have it right ?....

Archived