Word of the Day

J9withdogs

As our command of the English language is being discussed on another thread, perhaps we can share our favourite 'Word of the Day' to broaden our vocabulary.

Here's mine:

Grundyism - excessive or affected modesty

I just came across it when I was looking something else up - but I like it *-)

J9withdogs - 2007-11-01 4:43 PM

What a strange website!

My favourite word has always been 'trundling'.

always sounds a bit heavy tho Jan, like your pulling a heavy load

no??

I like onomata whatisit ? you know that word what means sounds like what it is -

of course when it comes to spelling it [well not IT but that word ono whatsit] I need a spell check, and I think mine is stuck in american

B-)

Guest Tracker
Dave Newell - 2007-11-01 4:43 PM

Now I've always preferred bimbling to pootiling (lol) .

D.

I prefer 'bimboing' - but first I needed to find my own blonde!

Guest Slacker

'Crinklying' - To use three six-syllable words when two normal ones will do in order to externally validate yourself.

Prior to meeting you know who, I thought that when I had my wife's enormous 4x4 polished it was being externally validated.

J9withdogs - 2007-11-01 4:56 PM

onomatopoeia, Twooks?

Trundling is what you do with the wheelbarrow in autumn when you collect the leaves - my favourite time of year (lol)

that explains it, now that we've moved house we have a small enclosed garden which collects every leaf for miles - trundling is exactly what we do collecting them all then taking them to the tip

I prefer spring, except I want it to come at the 'right' time not in December.

Apart from anything else - the daffs are better when they come at the right time as well. But I love to see crocii poking thro the snow - got a lovely picture of one somewhere.

B-)

Archived