Word of warning for those who tow...

J9withdogs

I followed a lovely old couple off the CC site at Cirencester yesterday who were towing an ENORMOUS caravan.

We went along the A419 towards Stroud, and I was just wondering whether they should have wound down the aerial-dish on the roof, when the caravan suddenly veered off to the right whilst the car carried on going straight on.

The caravan careered down a ditch and embedded itself into a brick wall.

I stopped, checked no-one was hurt and phoned the police who said they would send someone although it wouldn't be a Grade 1 response.

The couple were obviously very shaken, and the gentleman had a heart condition but declined medical attention.

Their cat was loose in the caravan but I couldn't see any way it could get out, and, as the caravan was at a dangerous angle, I wasn't happy about going in to retrieve it.

Over the next hour and a half many cars stopped to offer help, including an off-duty fireman (and girls - he was FIT!) who volunteered to get the cat out. You can tell the state that the gentleman was in - he couldn't remember the cat's name!

The gentleman phoned the RAC but they couldn't offer any help.

He phone his Caravan Club Insurers who said that, although they would cover the cost, they would not help with the nitty-gritty of recovery.

I phoned the CC site who gave me some phone numbers for B & Bs locally, as the couple had come from Edinburgh.

After one and a half hours, the policeman arrived and we all agreed that it was fortunate that, for that split second, nothing had been coming in the opposite direction on this major road and that the caravan cleared the carriageway without anything (i.e. me!) hitting it.

So - the morals:

Make sure the caravan is attached to the car.

Check that your insurers/breakdown service will provide the relevant help. If you are in shock and a long way from home, you need to be looked after.

Don't get in front of me- I might not be so lucky next time!

Janine, you really mustn't go to such extremes to meet men ... fancy unhitching their caravan like that, you naughty girl!

On a serious note though, I assume they were eventually looked after and their caravan retrieved?

Drat - didn't think anyone would notice :D

I don't know what became of them, the (very nice!) policeman took down my particulars and promised he would look after them. They have my phone number and said they would let me know the outcome.

It was their first outing with the caravan since buying it, and I wonder whether they were really fit enough.

I did find the wire thingy (technical term *-) ) that wraps round the hitching thingy, and it was shredded. Would that be cause or effect of the accident?

Janine, Glad you are home safely and also hope the elderly gentleman and his wife are recovering well. after their nasty experience.Did they have a Stabilizer Bar fitted, We forgot ours once, and just cruising along a dual carriageway the crosswinds caught us and we were quite scared as you cannot brake too quickly with a largish van on the back, That taught us a sharp lesson To check everything twice. It is so nice to know that thre are so many people out there that will lend a hand,though, Ria,

Guest peter
J9withdogs - 2008-05-16 6:21 PM

Drat - didn't think anyone would notice :D

I don't know what became of them, the (very nice!) policeman took down my particulars and promised he would look after them. (Well they were fresh on this morning and very silky).

They have my phone number and said they would let me know the outcome.

It was their first outing with the caravan since buying it, and I wonder whether they were really fit enough.

I did find the wire thingy (technical term *-) ) that wraps round the hitching thingy, and it was shredded. Would that be cause or effect of the accident?

:D (lol) :$

Archived