Worries from reading MMM!

empress

Each time I read the Forum pages or Interchange etc in MMM I find something else to worry about, It is either payload, tyre pressures or being being gassed in foreign parts (actually I have never worried about this). These have been followed by the trauma over the Truma, I think we are OK over this as our fitting is above the cylinders. Now on page 228 I see that our Mercedes may have terminal brake problems. We are just coming towards our first MOT also. We do try to give the van a run once or twice a month but there is no way we can get out twice a week in her. Is there no end to my worries?!

Empress

Guest starspirit

Good insurance, good recovery, van warranty, mobile phone - so why worry - the worst it can get is bl##dy inconvenient!

Sure an over simplification I know but it sure is a better philosophy than over worrying!

empress - 2007-01-30 2:48 PM

Each time I read the Forum pages or Interchange etc in MMM I find something else to worry about, It is either payload, tyre pressures or being being gassed in foreign parts (actually I have never worried about this). These have been followed by the trauma over the Truma, I think we are OK over this as our fitting is above the cylinders. Now on page 228 I see that our Mercedes may have terminal brake problems. We are just coming towards our first MOT also. We do try to give the van a run once or twice a month but there is no way we can get out twice a week in her. Is there no end to my worries?!

Empress

Once or twice a month is fine, but give it some fairly heavy braking and it will clear off any rust that has formed on the discs and dry out the pads. If you can don't leave it with the handbrake on, but put it in 1st gear and put chocks or bricks behind the downhill wheels.

empress - 2007-01-30 2:48 PM

Empress

Hi, Empress. Like you I find reading the pages of Interchange can be worrying as its a constant reminder of all the things that can go wrong with our vans. The thing to keep in mind though is that this is the problem section of the mmm, and as such represents only a tiny minority of the thousands of readers and motorhome users who never experience any of the problems highlighted on these pages. Bit like the medical dictionary I once had the misfortune to pick up and start to read. I was a picture of health at the time, but after just a few pages I was ready to put my affairs in order and meet my God.

It does have its advantages of course, as on page 226 there is an article, plus pictures that show how to adjust and take up play on the sliding door of Fiats etc, which is a problem i,m getting at the moment.

Staying with mmm, try to maintain the optimism of those selling a 2004 A/S Trooper on page 299. Price new £37,000. Yours for only £37,350. :-S

I guess like all 'problem' pages, you onyl get to read the 'problmes' which are highlighted by the 'few' rather than than more normal things (motorhome or otherewise) which are the huge majority.

What is helpful, though, I find is that you can at least post a question to see if you're alone in any particular matter, or when you want information, you certainly get a mix of answers - almost instantaneously...!.

Archived