anti virus software

pagey

Randonneur - 2009-07-29 11:34 AM

I have always used AVG Free on all my computers and, touch wood, never had any problems. I did try Norton for 30 days but didn't like it as it takes over everything on the computer.

Was it Norton 2009? This is a very different software to the older versions and is much better as it uses idle time to scan not when you are working.

David

Guest Tracker

Norton has given me problems in the past so we use AVG free which does not seem to give any problems and has kept us problem free for several years.

CCleaner, Malwarebytes, Ad-Aware and Spyware Blaster are also all good programmes that appear to do what they claim without spying on you!

AVG is good basic anti virus software and spyware is included but remember to keep it up to date. Updated databases are available virtually every day. Set it to update automatically at a time you are ususally online.

Also set it to do an auto scan daily.

I have used AVG for years, but it would be a good idea to add

SpywareBlaster

www.javacoolsoftware.com/sbdownload.html

and

AdAware

www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

(both free) to protect against and/or get rid of Trojans, spyware and other nasties.

Regards,

Andy.

thanks for your replies i have loaded avg 8.5 free and spyware terminator. the laptop was loaded with mcafee which according to bt (part of option 3)was very good but when i ran spyware terminator it picked up 40 problems that mcafee had missed i will sort the firewall next thanks

pagey - 2009-07-30 1:43 PM

thanks for your replies i have loaded avg 8.5 free and spyware terminator. the laptop was loaded with mcafee which according to bt (part of option 3)was very good but when i ran spyware terminator it picked up 40 problems that mcafee had missed i will sort the firewall next thanks

We use Zonealarm Free, no problems.

Just a point to consider when installing anti-virus and firewall software and that is to only have one copy of each, do not install two anti-virus programs, it's not recommended.

There are four reasons for this,

a) No manufacturer of virus scanning software approves or supports the use of multiple scanners.

b) The effects of using multiple scanners may cause unexpected conflicts and program crashes depending on the combination of software and hardware on any particular PC.

c) As long as no virus is encountered, there is no conflict between different scanners, but when a virus is found, which one will have the honour of dealing with it?

d) There is always a performance overhead in running multiple programs (PC runs slower).

Having said all the above, I have heard of folk using AVG and Norton with no reported problems; but see item d) above.

• 2 weeks later...
pagey - 2009-08-10 6:32 PM

hi guys sorry for the lapse been hill walking in derbyshire thanks for the replies ..peter how do i turn the firewall on windows xp

Click start

click control panel

windows firewall will be there.

For some reason I forget at moment windows firewall is only recommended as last resort, I use pc tools firewall plus, others like zone alarm.

Guest Tracker

I use Zone Alarm firewall so I can't remember how to turn the XP version off.

HOWEVER - if you type in firewall into XP help the answer and an easy to follow routine to do so will appear as if by magic before your very eyes!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived