bad back

gaz43

Have a couple of days rest with painkillers and then gently move about, nothing strenuous. Apparently they say that you shouldn't take to your bed these days as it does more harm than good. If it persists then its a visit to the Doctor or Hospital unfortunately.

PS. Hope you put it in the accident book!!!!!

Try and have a bath, don't have the water too hot, just nicely warm and have a good soak, it should certainly ease it for you. Take painkillers as often as they are permitted but don't be tempted to do anything at all apart from trying to keep mobile to stop you seizing up, even if you think you are a bit better resist the temptation otherwise you'll only do more damage.

Really depends on what you've done and where the pain is Gaz. As you know my old "friend" sciatica is back and giving me hell. Following Mel B's advice from last year I sleep face down with a pillow under my chest and this works wonders for relieving it overnight.

Most back injuries are simple minor muscle strains and given rest and relaxation will soon heal themselves. Trouble is we rarely give them the r&r they require and then the body's self defence mechanism kicks in by tensing the muscles around the injury in an attempt to immobilise it. Because we still don't rest it becomes self aggravating and is known to chiropractors and physios as a "protective spasm". This can get to very painful levels if you don't do something about it.

Warm packs (hot water bottle wrapped in a towel) placed on the area of pain for about half an hour and plenty of rest with only gentle activity. Ibuprofen and paracetomol will help to reduce the inflammation and pain and help your body to relax. I also use a TENS machine for pain relief although these devices don't work for everyone, certainly worth the £20 or so to try one out as you can easily spend more than that on chemical painkillers over a week or so of back pain.

D.

Along the same lines as the TENS machine that Dave mentions, there is another way of applying heat to the area.

Not sure what they are called but are like a small 'bean-bag' which contains wheat grains. You put them in the microwave to heat them up and apply to affected area.

The grains retain the heat quite well.

I've used one quite often and got some relief from aches and pains. In fact we keep one in the van which I have used a number of times when away from home.

I have had a bad back for just over 40 years and in my case at least it has never been fully 'cured', it is always there to some extent. The nature and causes of back pain are many and varied and what works for one person may not help another. However, for what it is worth here is my physio treatment and it does work for me..............

1) Lie face down with hips on edge of bed, or similar support.

2) Raise legs from knees, so that calves are just past the vertical.

3) Repeat the above 50 times with shoes on (to provide a little weight), do this daily and in about two weeks you should notice a distinct improvement.

4) Continue the exercise and the improved strength of the back muscles will stabilise your back and give much improved protection from further trouble.

Best really is to seek proper medical diagnosis and treatment ;-)

Backs are certainly funny things. About a year ago I noticed that a patch of skin about 4inch in diameter by my right knee was numb. So I did what any sensible bloke does and ignored it. But then after some fairly heavy lifting of stuff out of my Mother in Laws place I noticed this patch was far bigger and had crept up my calf. . With visions of “parts that other beers cannot reach” also going numb I decided I better get it checked out.

Also the muscle in my calf was like red hot pins and needles after what for me was a fairly normal walk with the dogs. All I can describe it as is that it is like cramp without the pain

The GP was great but he did take it a bit more seriously than I expected. The reason? – these symptoms are the first signs of a number of degenerative diseases. Gulp!

But on examination plus the fact that the symptoms came and went he pressed the vertebrae in my spine one after the other from the top down and near the base of my spine he pressed one and I damn near went through the roof. It seriously hurt.

So the diagnosis is a disc trying to escape and pressing on a nerve. Luckily I do not have full blown sciatica which I know to be a real problem, but if I do not watch out it could develop.

I am off for an X-Ray this morning – not that the GP expects it to show anything as the disc will not show up but he wants to make sure it is not anything else.

His advice for me is much as has been said on here already - - good painkiller and Ibuprofen. BUT! – his warning was not to do anything at all lifting wise as the analgesics will mask the pain and I could do more damage. I find a bath really good but a shower so much better. Walking really helps but watch out for uneven ground as yesterday I was watching the dogs and walked into just a slight depression in the ground and the “shock wave” was excruciating.

The good thing is I have been given a warning – I cannot go humping wardrobes, fridge freezers washing machines etc about like I used to. I have to take care how I lift things and plan better. I would suggest that we all stop and think sometime rather than just get on and do it. I know it is not in many of our natures to think that we can no longer do some of the stuff we did without thinking. But believe me the pain I am in at the moment and the thought that even mundane jobs like emptying the Thetford is going to take a bit of planning is a bit of a shocker. (I propose to get a wheeled “thingy” and do it well before full each time)

Just trying to convince SWMBO that Rioja is a medicinal relaxant. If that works it will be a significant compensation

Maggyd is right, don't do any excercises until you know exactly what you have done. If after a couple of days there is no improvement, which there should be if a muscle strain, then visit the Doctor. You can do more damage if you don't know what you are doing.

I had a Sciatica problem and had painkillers and bought a TENS machine which helps and we also have a Wheat Bag which also gets used. It took about 2 years before I finally got rid of it and am very careful now that I do not put myself in a position that would aggravate it again.

Many years ago I worked in the Physio Department at our local hospital and one weekend I was fitting a carpet in a small bedroom. The following morning I couldn't move and couldn't get out of bed. When Martin phoned in work for me to tell them I wouldn't be going in the response was "can you get her in the car and bring her in?" That was the worst thing, when I got there and onto one of the treatment beds our Superintendant Physio treated me and said "I don't want any moans and groans from you as you will put the other patients off". It taught me that in the future if I pulled a muscle or anything else not to complain when at work.

Hi Gaz,

Sorry to hear about your back, I can sympathise as I suffered with excrutiating back pain after a car accident. There is no quick fix and everyones cure is ideal for them but not necessarily for you. I have a Tempur mattress at home which I swear by. Even if it doesn't cure the pain it allows me to get a relatively good nights sleep and I feel more refreshed in the morning, so mentally and physically I'm able to cope better with the pain. With regard to pain killers and anti-inflamitary drugs. These are fine for relief purposes, but please remember they mask the pain so therefore if you feel better and start doing too much you are in danger of making things worse.

Anyway hope you feel better soon. It was great to meet you both at Peterborough hope you enjoyed your stay there.

hi rapido-lass

we did enjoy are stay at peterborough thanks it was nice to meet you as well

here's me up set about a little back pain and so many of you are in a lot more pain than me but you keep going

make me feel a right twit :$

only been off work for about 5 hours now and i am bored out of my tiny mind

Hi Gaz,

I can understand your're bored............ the back plays such an important part of everything you do, so you become very limited if you try and avoid adding to the pain. Chin up......... you could have some daytime friends if you're really lucky!!!!

gaz, do what you must but look after your back! Take it from me EVERYTHING you do is affected by how your back is fairing. At the moment just going to the loo is painful (sitting down is excruciating). Gentle walking is great exercise for most back problems but walking Dex brings its own problems when he does something that needs cleaning up, Do you know how far six foot to the floor really is???? At the Peterborough show I had real problems walking on rough ground, every step was hell. It will get better in time as long as I (and you for your own problem) do the right exercises and rest it as much as possible.

Sooo looking forward to Newbury for a rest :D :D

D.

hi dave

I am trying to look after my back i have sat, stood, walked around and layed down to keep the pain to a minimum

I would normally be at work from 5am to 6pm most days so being at home not doing anything is very hard for me

I know how you feel Gaz but take it from a long term sufferer of back problems that the best thing you can do for your back is rest, you may go out of your mind with boredom but I never said it was the best thing for an active mind did I? :D

You just have to give the muscles, tendons and other soft tissues time to repair themselves. Gentle exercise like walking on flat ground is ideal, GENTLE pottering in the garden is a close second but NO lifting of anything heavier than your cup of tea :D ;-) .

D.

Of course I always abide by these rules :D :D

davenewell@home - 2009-05-06 8:45 PM

I know how you feel Gaz but take it from a long term sufferer of back problems that the best thing you can do for your back is rest, you may go out of your mind with boredom but I never said it was the best thing for an active mind did I? :D

You just have to give the muscles, tendons and other soft tissues time to repair themselves. Gentle exercise like walking on flat ground is ideal, GENTLE pottering in the garden is a close second but NO lifting of anything heavier than your cup of tea :D ;-) .

D.

Of course I always abide by these rules :D :D

;-)

I assume that lifting a pint is an exception to your rules Dave ?

( Counts as a medicine presumably )

;-)

Archived