brownhills

carioca

hi we've just been away& called in at brownhills newark for a look, we couldnt believe the amount of mh on display that had cupboard doors missing or handles missing or just looked plain shabby & dirty inside. these were mh that were only 2-3 yrs old

We visited them a month ago on our way back from France, as a lunch stop. I must admit I was very surprised by the state of some of the vans, at least the old 'firm' had a basic standard and I never ever saw them in such as state and the new 'firm' seems to like to leave them.

Guest Tracker
Before contemplating buying a van from any dealer we first spend some time looking at the vehicles on display as a lot can be learnt about the ethos of the dealer and it's attitude towards it's potential customers from the standard of presentation of it's stock for sale!

Shabby motorhomes should not be on display if a dealer is serious about selling. However, Brownhills will not be the only dealer to take in part exchanges and have to store them somewhere. If being stored, why not slap a sale price on it?

Some dealers sell "as seen" at bargain prices. Others sell in a shoddy state and promise to clean them up. One thing about buying in a shoddy state is you get to see how bad the van can be. There is a risk that the shoddiness hides other problems.

It could simply be that they have managed to shift a lot of new vans amd the service centre has been too busy dealing with the pdis and servicing existing customers, to get around to stock items.

When buying a house or a car, do you buy because it looks sparkling, or do you buy because it is what you want at the price you want to pay?

Most dealers report that customers often remove items from vans on display. Cupboard catches and the like are easy to thieve. If this is happening regularly, it's tempting not to replace them.

The only way we'll know is by asking enough probing questions of Brownhills.

Guest Tracker

Good points John.

However if a van is 'awaiting valeting and preparation' a sign should say so to differentiate it from others on general sale - or it could be locked thus ensuring anyone viewing would need to ask for the key and then be given an explanation.

I would be wary of buying a house that showed obvious signs of being neglected mainly because if the things that you can see are neglected what about the things that you can't see or that may have been covered up?

There is an element of thievery at many dealers as some people seem to think it good to steal a cupboard catch or small part rather than buy their own and this is often evident as a 'one off' part missing in an otherwise clean and tidy van.

Maybe there is enough anecdotal evidence out there to be able to form one's own views on this particular dealer - and many others good as well as bad by repute - and as long as you can live with the potential for problems maybe Brownhills undoubted competitive pricing policy on new vans is worthy of consideration?

Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer chance!

Guest Tracker
Rapido-lass - 2009-08-19 8:40 AM

I know from personal experience that Brownhills 'borrow' items from one motorhome to repair others, they deny this point, but we have seen it first hand and also been told by the employees that especially at Newark that this is regularly on going.

This is common practise generally in the 'trade' and if I were a customer returning with a broken wotnot I would be mighty appreciative of any such service that kept me on the road or enabled me to continue my holiday, especially given the reluctance of many motor home converters to supply parts quickly - so let's not knock it as it may be us that needs it next!

PS

Just read this again and can I just add that in making the point I am not criticising you or your posting in any way Cathy!

Shabby and dirty is not acceptable.  However, missing parts due to cannibalisation seems reasonable, until one pauses to ask why that might be necessary.  I've been phoning around today, to try to locate a water filler cap to fit our Hobby.  I want to replace with the same as original, because I have the lock barrel with the suited key for the van, so it still only needs two keys.  All Hobby dealers could order one, 4 - 9 weeks delivery, but not one stocked the item.  The common answer was no, we don't stock any spares, but they are all available on order, though it is rather slow.  Presumably, as no one has stock of minor spares, they rob their stock, and only then re-order.  Whether this is a good thing I leave you to judge, but it certainly doesn't help getting replacement minor parts of relatively low value very quickly.  I appreciate they can't keep one of everything for every van, but you'd think a shelf with catches, knobs, the odd hob control etc might give a slightly more responsive customer service.

Tracker - 2009-08-19 9:51 AM

PS

Just read this again and can I just add that in making the point I am not criticising you or your posting in any way Cathy!

Don't worry Rich, none taken!

Also Brian, I understand what you say, I can see both sides of the story as I have experienced both - however, when things are nicked off your brand new motorhome and it then takes many many months to have yours replaced due to borrowing, that is a tad naughty in my opinion. There is a big difference between sold units and stock units.

Just read this thread, and guess this may be why after my 'service' at Brownhills my split-fuse disappeared and my leisure battery lost all power. Didn't find out the fuse was missing until I had bought a new battery. Somebody somewhere probably gained.

• 2 weeks later...

We popped in there on Monday on our way back up from Dover as it was a convenient stopping point for lunch so we had a wander around, as you do. :D

One van looked like the cannibals had been gradually 'eating' it as it had so many parts missing!!! *-)

We did get very tempted though ... by a nice shiney Timberland Endeavour ... but a stupid PX soon put a stop to that as they offered about £10k under our van's real PX value ... even the sales chap went and doubled checked as he couldn't believe it.

carioca - 2009-08-14 1:44 PM

or just looked plain shabby & dirty inside.

Most had a smell, and were not cleaned properly when we looked. Its such a small amount of money to employ someone who cleans, that it appears utter madness when it involves something that costs 40K.

We were looking at vans at the stratford show about 7 years ago, opened the crockery cupboard on a auto sleeper clubman and there was two cups half full of coffee that had gone green with age!

Another year, we were pitched up next to a dealers stand, and every night, the staff played football (leather ball) using the stock of very expensive a class van as goal posts (family firm) and it was a hard game they were playing, when i said something to the owners father, he said, it's my son's business and his stock, he can do what he likes with it.

funnily enough, I often hear this dealership being praised up.

No I won't say who, I can't afford a law suit.

Pete

We met up with some friends at Brownhills Newark on Weds, I had been in there some three weeks earlier as I was in Newark. What struck me both times was the lack of stock, if they where a shop there would be empty spaces on the shelves, and you would thinking "this place is very good". I would agree that the presentation of s/h vehicles was very poor. It reminded me of the early days of Oaktree motorhomes.

When I spoke, on both visits to the same salesman, its quite apparent that trade in's aren't what they are looking for, their preference is cash or credit customers. I just get the feeling that the company is struggling, although they seem to be carrying a number of staff, perhaps paid mainly on commission and so not such a big drain on cash resources.

The last time I invited Brownhills to comment on the forum I was subjected to a torrent of abuse from the CEO - which was quickly pulled by the Mods when I posted it on the forum!

'Talk to Tom' it said - so I did but he weren't listening!

That spoke volumes about their attitude.

Called in at Gateshead branch couple of weeks ago. At least half the show space is empty with the rest of the vans spread out. Asked salesman why it was so empty and he replied waiting for new 2010 stock to come in. Seems a little far fetched to me that they would be waiting for 2010 stock in August still he had to say something i suppose.

Archived