cave houses

lezdaw

Cave houses - troglodyte homes - are found in many areas of the world, from Europe to Australia.  One of the finest examples is in the Loire Valley at Rochemenier, not far from Saumur.  People created whole villages like this, and many still live in these houses today.  The houses remain at a fairly constant temperature, around 12 degrees if I remember rightly, and in the olden times it was common to spend many waking hours together in a large hall, spinning and weaving and getting a little bit warmer, while the men farmed the surrounding countryside.  The villages sometimes had a church or chapel, farm buildings and room for pressing wine and the like.

colin - 2007-03-07 10:46 PM

I was going to say you don't need to go that far, but you haven't filled in location so I might be wrong, anyway you can see them in shropshire. :->

Absolutely correct Colin, but I'd like to point out that we's not all cave dwellers round 'ere! (lol)

D.

Dave Newell - 2007-03-08 9:34 AM

colin - 2007-03-07 10:46 PM

I was going to say you don't need to go that far, but you haven't filled in location so I might be wrong, anyway you can see them in shropshire. :->

Absolutely correct Colin, but I'd like to point out that we's not all cave dwellers round 'ere! (lol)

D.

I still can't remember name of town, but we where close to it when gf gave way to a car coming down a steep hill( I was in passenger seat unable to drive because of bad back) not having very good clutch control, on the third atempt to restart she hammered throttle and dropped clutch when rolling backwards! shearing off drive shaft bolts, still on the bright side didn't burn any petrol on the journey home >:-)

Archived